Status: completed! comments and critiques still welcome!

Fear Itself

Declaration of War

It is mid-march when the Commander once more appears on your television screen. He greets you with the same tight smile, the same rigid posture. His hands are folded on the desk in front of him.

“Good evening, citizens of the world,” he greets you, leaning forward at a slight incline. “We’re almost certain by now that you’ve caught wind of the recent insurgence of rebels overseas. Though they claim to be ‘liberating’ you, citizens, they are feeding you nothing but lies and false hope. Remember what we promised you,” he reminds you. “Even in the face of adversity and rebellion, the League has been working tirelessly to restore a broken world to it’s former glory.”

He clears his throat and straightens out his tie, but his fingers twitch just ever so slightly against the fabric. “You can consider this a declaration of war on the American Assembly. We will be sending our troops overseas to wage war against the rebellion and restore the peace and order within the region.” He pauses and shifts in his chair, rolling his shoulders back. “Also, heeding the warning from Casper Collins, we expect an influx of Americans to travel here in order to assist the terrorist group known as the Brotherhood. Any and all Americans are to be apprehended and handed over the League militia. Any citizen who assists us in this effort will be compensated financially for their effort.”

Kennedy’s eyes are dark and unwavering as he stares straight into the screen. He only briefly glances down at his desk. His fingers drum idly against the wooden surface for mere moments. “In other, much happier, news. It has come to my attention that future Board member Dean Cassidy was married just three days ago.” His lips twitch into a tiny smile. “He is now happily married to the mysterious artist known only as ‘Monodrama,’ and we wish them all the best.”

He pauses, and his smile widens at the screen. “Also, Mr. Cassidy, you and your wife are expected to meet for lunch tomorrow at one o’clock. The usual spot.” Kennedy nods before he chuckles, “Have a pleasant evening, citizens.” The screen fades to black, and just like that, he is gone.