Status: completed! comments and critiques still welcome!

Fear Itself

"The Estate"

Today, the Commander greets you with somber news. “Last night, world-renowned fashion designer Chandler Jacques was killed during the bombing of Buckingham Palace,” he explains with a grave expression. “The terrorist group known as the Brotherhood Resistance planted a bomb beneath the ballroom stage and blew the building, taking countless lives, including that of our dear Chandler, along with it.” For a moment, he glances down. When he blinks, his eyes do not close in unison. The open with just a second’s difference.

“Like many of you watching, I was not close to Chandler, but it’s safe to say that he has touched the lives of millions through his work and his art. The world will miss his revolutionary designs and impeccable taste, not to mention those signature black shades.” He laughs with false nostalgia. “He was a symbol of success for the League as well as the citizens of the globe. He met challenge with great resolve and dignity.

“Mr. Jacques leaves behind his parents, Adrien and Estelle, as well as six siblings: Remy, Christophe, Dorothee, Edgar, Benoit, and Ruben.” His fingers shift against the desk top. “Despite original plans to auction of Mr. Jacques’ estate, his home and possessions have been given to Dean Cassidy.” He pauses. “Today would have been Chandler’s 30th birthday. May he rest in peace.”