Status: completed! comments and critiques still welcome!

Fear Itself

Life & Liberty

Before exiting, we sent a message out to all the local news stations, reporting that Kennedy was no more. We also asked that the citizens of London gather at the Globe Theater for an announcement. Knowing how the media operated, we weren’t entirely surprised to find that the theater was packed when we arrived. Even from the wings, we could see them out there, watching and waiting for something to happen. Some were confused, others panicking. Some were weeping, mourning the loss. Others almost seemed happy, but no one dared to give more than the subtlest sort of smile. No one dared grin, no one dared look gleeful. We wouldn’t mind, really. Dean was practically bouncing beside me in the wings. Gleeful may have been an understatement for him.

While Dean and Casper gloated to each other about how “ace” it was to kill the Board, I noticed Avery had left. Instead, I walked over to Alex and greeted him with a hug. “Look at us,” I laughed quietly. “We did it, Eyebrows.”

“Yeah,” he chuckled. “Yeah, we did.” A soft smile widened across his face, and his brown eyes gleamed for a moment. “Remember when I rolled through your window, and you offered me pudding, even though I was a total stranger?”

I grinned. Of course, I remembered. How could I forget my kidnapping? That was how all this started, anyway. “Yes,” I admitted, laughing breathlessly and glancing down to my feet. “And you pulled a gun on me, you dreadful man.” We both grinned, both laughed. “Thanks for that, by the way,” I told him.

“For pulling a gun on you?” Alex repeated, scoffing a little.

“If you hadn’t, I wouldn’t have any of this,” I explained and shrugged my shoulders. Wouldn’t have had Avery, wouldn’t have had Dean. I never would have robbed a warehouse, or blown up a building, or overthrown a government. I never would stood up to my oppressive father. “Thanks for helping me grow up, Alex.”

“You do know that was all an accident, right?” he asked with a laugh. “You do remember that I hated you for months, right?”

I shrugged. “Sometimes, the best things start out as accidents.”

“Blondie!” Dean shouted. He waved me over with the widest grin on his face. “Time to face our adoring followers!”

The view from the stage was incredible: all the seats were filled with people. The gates behind held back crowds of West Londoners, all watching us. We strode out together, walking tall. Well, I had a slight wobble induced by the pain in my broken ribs. Didn’t matter. We stood on stage with microphones clipped to the collars of our shirts, and we faced the people of London for the first time. We were met with dead silence.

“Greetings, citizens of London,” Dean began. “Commander Kennedy is dead. For years now, we have sought to end the oppressive rule of the League. Today, we have accomplished it.” The pause was so deafening that a man’s cough echoed through the stadium. “Too long, the League has endangered the people of the world, and we could not stand by and bear witness to a government built on deception. One by one, they stripped away every freedom previously granted to us. The freedoms that our ancestors fought and died for.”

“These very freedoms are the ones our friends have died for today,” I picked up. I stepped forward just an inch, looking over the crowd. “We must ensure that these freedoms are not lost. We must make sure that our brothers and sisters did not die in vain. We refused to let the League destroy our way of life. They insisted on labeling us as terrorists. The League was frightened us, by their people. So, we took action.”

“Under our new government, we will return the power to our people,” Dean continued. “You are the voice of this planet, and you should be heard. Under the League, the government was dysfunctional, the economy unstable, our politicians uncooperative, and our society destroyed. For the last forty years, opinions have been outlawed and ignored. Money was the true leader of this country, not people. Not individuals. The ones with the most wealth were the ones with the power to control our lives.”

People began murmuring to each other. Even in the brief lull between Dean’s point and mine, the chattering rose just enough to be audible. How were they receiving us? Did they agree with us? Could they really want the League back? I had to drive the point home, had to make sure they knew we had their interests at heart. “The members of the Brotherhood understood that in order to save the government, we first had to tear it down. It is a time to restore democracy. This is our resolution. This is our revolution. We refuse to live in a police state. No longer will you be tortured and dehumanized by your leaders.”

“We will act with patience and tolerance. We will protect you from tyranny. We will protect you from the man, sitting in that board room, stripping you of your rights.” Dean didn’t waver. His voice never cracked. He pushed his shoulders back and regained straighter posture. “You have waited long enough. We will restore this government to serve the people, not to overrule them. This is your time. Your government will no longer ignore you. Now, we will ensure your freedoms. Our allegiance is to our people.”

“Because the people are us, and we are them,” I added. “We the people hold not only the power but the responsibility to maintain a just and functional government. We promise to act on your behalf and help you in your pursuit of life and freedom. Citizens, you are not alone. There are millions more of you all over the world.” I paused. “We are the Brotherhood, but we are also global citizens. We will fight for your rights as well as ours.”

“We have fought, and we have won,” Dean said, still looking straight out over the crowd. “Welcome to the new administration, citizens. This is the Global Federalist Republic.”

Silence hung over the crowd still. They stared up at us, and we stood firm. It started with a simple whistle, then a clap. Then, a few more claps. Cheers and applause swept over the crowds stuck behind the gates. The hooted and hollered, clapped and cheered for us. Slowly, applause broke out among the men and women inside the gate, seated before us: the elites. Some rose from their chairs, applauding us with fervor. Dean and I clasped our hands together between us and thrust them into the air. The applause surged louder. Dean and I looked to each other and grinned.

When we strode off, the applause didn’t end. It raged for quite a few minutes, even though we disappeared from sight. Our friends had gathered in the wings, even ones who hadn’t been with us at League towers. Sam stood with Alex, hand-in-hand, offering Dean and I a nod of congratulations. Landon stopped us and put a hand on Dean’s shoulder. He didn’t say a word. Didn’t need to. He was glowing with pride.

My eye caught Avery in the corner, and my heart leapt with joy. “Mumbles!” I shouted, rushing over to him as quickly as I could, pushing through the pain in my side. “I thought you left.”

“Nah,” he rasped. “Just took a break, s’all. Couldn’t miss your big moment.”

I grinned so hard that my face hurt. “What’d you think?” He didn’t answer at first, just wrapped me up in a bear hug. He squeezed me a little, not enough to hurt, but just enough.

“You did good, Princess.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, everyone! Hope you enjoyed it!