Status: completed! comments and critiques still welcome!

Fear Itself

Broadcast #1

Hello, world. I’m Harland McCabe, and you’re watching Channel 5, the Global News Network, where you can get all of your news all of the time with our 24-hour broadcasting system.

It is March 14, 2057, folks, and today is marked with both tragedy and celebration. As most of you heard, our beloved Commander, Conor Kennedy, was found dead in his home at six in the morning yesterday. The cause is said to be lithium poisoning, and our hearts and minds go out to the Kennedy family as they deal with this great tragedy. Investigations are still on-going, and I’ll be sure to get back to you as soon as more details are uncovered.

In other news, today ushered in the induction of a brand new Commander and his board. Conor’s eldest son, Clinton Kennedy, was sworn into the position at noon today. Clinton Kennedy is thirty-one years old and has studied economics at the University College London as well as served in the Global Navy. Clinton is the oldest of four siblings. Accompanying Kennedy is his new Board, comprised of fourteen members. His brother, 23-year-old Dominic Kennedy, acts as his second-in-command. Eldest sister Raleigh Kennedy, age 27, is the Head of the Media. The rest of the board is as follows.

First is Remy Jacques, 46, as the Head of Finance. Hailing from the French banking dynasty, Jacques is the oldest of six children. A logical choice, it seems, considering the Jacques family has controlled more than half of the world’s wealth since the early 1700s, when they formed the League.

Dallas Faust is up next, selected as the Head of Military. Faust is 41 years old, the oldest of two brothers. Faust comes from impressive military lineage and most generations of his family have served in the League Militia and the American military before World War III struck in 2015.

One of the Commander’s most shocking choices comes in the form of young Violet Elliot, London born and raised, who is only 27 years old. Miss Elliot, the world’s new Head of Technology, is known for her innovative inventions and has plans to build the League’s first ever defense drone. Her older brother, Nicholas Elliot, has been placed as the Head of Medicine.

31-year-old Blake Ellison is the new Head of Religion. The American Board member claims to be hot on the trail of the resistance movement but promises to continue stamping out any sign of religion and mythology in the meantime.

Christian Newport is 35 years old and has been named the Head of Regulation. Newport is known for his knowledge of marketing and consumerism, making him perfect to regulate the consumption of drugs and alcohol on a global scale.

Greta York is one of the returnees. She previously served under Conor Kennedy and is reprising her role as the Head of Population Control. Her son, Simon York, works as a chemist.

34-year-old Austin Cavallo takes up the role of Head of Entertainment. The Cavallos are the ones behind the idea for our 24-hour news broadcasting system, and we’re sure that Austin Cavallo will fill the primetime airwaves with juicy reality television and electro-pop tunes we all can dance to. His 29-year-old brother, Andrew, is the new Head of Information.

From the Windsor family comes Ivory Windsor, the new Head of History. She is 34 years old in a family of nine. The Windsor family dates back centuries, once having been the royal family of England. Her older brother, Charles Windsor, 39, serves now as the Head of Resources.

Last but not least is perhaps the most controversial member of both this board and the previous: Mr. Nathaniel Giroux. Commander Kennedy has chosen Giroux to reprise his role as the Head of Mind Control & Reeducation as Kennedy found himself impressed with Giroux’s “infinite knowledge and incredible resolve,” though the public and other members of Elite society have differed both with Clinton and his father in their choices to keep Giroux on the board. Giroux’s only living heir to the position is his younger sister, Sophie, who works as a school teacher.

Most of us can remember when tragedy struck for Giroux eighteen years ago when his wife Amelia McQueen was executed for counts of treason and plots to overthrow the government just three months after the birth of their daughter, Thalia. It caused widespread scandal, and many were suspicious of Giroux’s motives after the events. Three weeks after McQueen’s execution, Giroux’s newborn daughter passed away, a victim of pediatric cancer. In order to cope with the tragedy, ex-Commander Conor Kennedy granted him a leave of absence for as long as he needed.

Nathaniel Giroux vanished for four years while the world waited with bated breath, but he returned to work as per usual after his leave, and the Commander, and even the world, welcomed him back with open arms. Giroux has made incredible progress when it comes to dealing with traitors, and we are certain that he will continue doing so in leaps and bounds in the coming future.

We wish Commander Kennedy and his board the best of luck and success for the future ahead. This is Harland McCabe, signing off.