Status: completed! comments and critiques still welcome!

Fear Itself

"Protect Yourselves, Citizens"

You’re watching television, this time on purpose. You heard about the riots yesterday. You’re glad you weren’t in the midst of them. You’re glade that you’re safe, that your family is safe, but you’re worried. As a law-abiding citizen, you wonder what this will mean for your safety. Kennedy has promised a broadcast today, one that will hopefully put your terrified mind at ease.

Just as programmed, the screen switches from a popular reality show to the familiar office of your beloved Commander. He sits still, solemn, stare unwavering while he looks to the camera. “Good evening, global citizens,” he greets you with a small nod. “As many of you know, the terrorist organization known as the Brotherhood has attacked us once more, this time destroying the entire Atlantis complex and surrounding shops and homes. In their wave of wanton destruction, they allowed the escape of three hundred dangerous criminals, who are currently on the loose in London. They have rendered the Atlantis Testing Facility completely useless, hindering the progress of nearly 25 different experiments that were underway. They caused millions of dollars worth of damage to the windows, doors, and merchandise of surrounding stores. Some looted the homes of elite families in the area. Not all escapees have been dealt with, so we encourage all London elites to protect themselves from possible attack.

“Roughly 100 were killed in the riot. Estimates of the number injured is still unknown. Several rioters have been arrested and detain, though the orchestrators of this monstrosity are still unidentified and untraceable. As decided by myself and the Board, we must crack down on surveillance. Desperate time calls for desperate measures, citizens, and you must understand that we’re going to do is all for your safety. That being said, the League plans to keep a careful eye on all social networking platforms. It is also possible that in times of civil unrest, we will shut down social networking completely. We also intend to monitor text messaging more closely, so be aware that all text messages will be intercepted from this day forth. Based on messages sent and posted, we will be able to identify individuals worthy of further investigation. Social networking companies will also be legally obligated to release all private and encrypted messages sent between users upon request of the League. We encourage you all to report any suspicious material to local officials such as militia or your satellite branches of the League. Help us help you, citizens.

“Also, we would like to tell you that there are reports of an American resistance movement called the ‘Sons of Liberty’ surfacing. While they are not quite as dangerous and unpredictable as the Brotherhood, they still pose a potential threat to your safety. All Americans, know that the League is with you, helping you, and protecting you from these terrorists. Intel says that they plan to infiltrate United States mints to halt the production of currency. We tell you that this should not concern you. We have already taken measures to prevent this attack from taking place.

“Take this message with caution, citizens. Protect yourselves. Always remember, the League is with you.”