Sugar and Spice Are All Things Nice

Chapter 3

Daisy's POV

I stalked out of the building during our break and heard somebody following me. I slid down onto the step and took my phone out. I sighed heavily as I read a message off my mother on the screen and lit a cigarette.

"What's wrong?" A scruffy figure slid down beside me.

"My mum." I rolled my eyes and looked up at Garrett's face, shaded slightly by the hot, summer sun. "My mum worries too much, my Dad worries too much, John worries too much, Shane and Scott worry too much, heck even I worry too much!" I ranted and slid sideways against Garrett. "Why can't things just be easy?" I stared into the far off sun and allowed my blackberry to fall to the floor.

"Shit happens." Garrett shrugged as he picked up the phone and examined it. "Doesn't your sister worry?" He clicked the middle button to reveal a family photo.

"She's the one we're all worrying about!" I let out a humorless laugh.

"I'm assuming it's the same reason as why John hasn't told us about you?" He questioned.

"Not many people do tell their friends when their little sister's dying in a hospital ward." I look up at him with the same blank expression as I had used to look at the sun.

"I'm sorry." Garrett mumbled after a few silent moments when I had dropped my head.

"It's not your fault." I pulled myself away from him and turned my back to the sun. I looked up and carefully searched his warm eyes. "Annie was diagnosed with a serious heart condition when we were eleven, she's been in and out of hospital ever since, but these past two or three years we've been in the hospital almost always, here or on the other end of the country. I say we because I won't leave her. She's my twin, so I just have to know that she's safe." I sniffed and dropped my gaze.

"That must be rough, no school, no friends, no fun. Just a constant worry." He bit his lip. "Can I just say that John will most probably murder my for this, but I don't know many girls as nice as you, maybe we could meet up again sometime?" His voice faltered slightly.

"Sure Garrett." I nodded and smiled slightly.

"Excuse me young lady, we are waiting for you!" a strict lady yelled as she marched down the hallway and towards the two of us.

"Sure." I raised and threw my cigarette butt on the floor before lending Garrett a hand up and following the dance instructor back. Garrett carefully handed me my phone which I slid into the waistband of my leggings as I walked back to join Annie.

"Hey Daisy." Annie hugged me. "You've been smoking?" She raised her eyebrow.

"No I haven't." I disagreed and pulled away.

"Yes you have. I'm not a child I don't need to have secrets kept from me." She retorted.

"Be quiet, you do need protecting from the truth. You didn't speak to me for a week last time you caught me smoking." I hissed then quietened my voice to say "Be thankful it's nothing stronger." then stepping further away as the class went silent.

-----

I sat on the roof with my packet of cigarettes, a lighter, my headphones and my phone. I lay back and watched my smoke float away into the clear air. I flicked though my phone and found a new contact in my barren contact list. "Garrett Nickelsen. (text me Daisy x)" I smiled to myself and sent a text message to the number

"You commanded? ;) Daisy xx" I sat up and flicked my cigarette off the edge of the building. I sat thinking about my argument with Annie and feeling lonely without her by my side. It wasn't long however before I felt my phone vibrate.

"Yes I did, are we still on for going out some place? G xx"

"Sure thing :) Where and when? xx" I pulled out another cigarette

"Dress casually and I'll pick you up at 12 ;) G xx" I rolled my eyes but sent back a quick response before finishing my final cigarette and jumping down into my bedroom and heading into the hallway.

"John?" I knocked on his door.

"What?" He finally emerged, topless after a few minutes.

"Sorry if I'm disturbing..." I smiled slightly at the girl on his bed which caused John to roll his eyes. "Have you got any spares?" I held up my empty cigarette packet. He walked away and returned with a pack in his hand.

"You had a full pack earlier, what happened to them?" He interrogated.

"Smoked them didn't it?" I leant forwards slightly.

"Fucking chain smoker." he laughed and thrust the packet at me.

"Thanks Johno, I owe you!" I turned away then stopped and whispered to him "But don't tell Ann, she's not too impressed, I usually sparred cigarettes off whoever was waiting outside."

"'Kay, are you going to bed now?" He asked. I nodded and walked down the hallway back into my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is short, but a quick update. I'll try to make her and Garrett meeting up soon and make it romantic and cute.