Sequel: Tied Together

This Wasn't Suppose to Happen

Bonus Chapter (Sid's POV)

I looked at the text message and the words jumped out at me, Janelle had an ultrasound appointment and she was giving me the information in case I wanted to be there. This was basically her way of asking if I was in or if I was out. I knew, I just knew that if I sat there and saw the baby on the screen knowing that it was mine, there was no turning back.

The last time I was in the ultrasound room, I looked everywhere but the screen, I was convinced this baby wasn’t mine, but now there was proof. So the question was, was I in or was I out?

Waiting for days and agonizing over the decision, I made the dreaded call to my parents. As I suspected, Mom started crying right away and my Dad started yelling. “Sidney, how the hell could you go and do something like this? You know how hard we’ve worked to get you to where you are now, and you’re going to throw it all away!” I sat on my bed in the huge Lemieux house and held the phone away from my ear as my father continued to yell, letting every feeling and emotion out.

After what seemed like forever, he stopped yelling. At first I was concerned that something had happened to him, but just as I was about to ask if everything was okay, he softly asked “what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know Dad, I just don’t know”, I said as I felt the tears prickle the back of my eyes. I haven’t cried in a while, the last time I was really truly upset was when we lost the Stanley Cup in game 7 a few years back. The last year had been hard, but even when I was down and out, I kept my feelings in check.

“Look son, we will support you no matter what you decide”, Dad said and I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

It was with those words that I knew what I had to do, I was going to do the right thing, step up and own up to this baby. It was mine and family was everything to me, at the end of the day, they are the ones who will be there for you when everything else has crumbled around you.

Pulling up to the hospital, I ran through the entrance and towards the ultrasound department. I just hoped that I wasn’t so late that it was already over. Telling the nurse that I was the baby’s father, she ushered me into the room and I saw the look of surprise on Janelle’s face as I walked through the door. Taking a seat next to her head, I was captivated by the image on the screen. There it was, that was my child… or rather, our child. Grabbing Janelle’s hand, I held it as we continued to look at the screen and see the tiny features the ultrasound technician pointed out to us.

Seeing that image on the screen was one of the best things I had ever seen and I vowed then and there that I would do everything in my power to protect this little defenseless baby and the woman who was carrying it.