Sequel: Tied Together

This Wasn't Suppose to Happen

Part 13

Wadding out of the hospital, I collapsed into the drivers seat of the BMW. It had been another long, hard day at work and I had agreed to meet up with Sid. He had arrived back in town a few days ago and was begging me to see him. Reluctantly I agreed and I now found myself driving towards Sewickley since he had things he needed to do at his house.

Pulling up towards nothing short of a mansion, I glanced at my GPS to make sure this was the right house. Home boy was hilarious, he was moving out of Mario Lemieux’s estate just to move across the street. I couldn’t help the giggle that escaped my mouth as I put the suv into park and turned off the ignition.

The house, while huge, also had a homely feeling to it. Intrigued, I couldn’t wait to get inside and see what he had designed so far. Knocking on the heavy mahogany door, I was kept waiting on the step for a few moments before I heard footsteps approaching. Sid opened the door and stepped aside to let me in.

Standing in the foyer, I surveyed my surroundings. Sid was wearing grey Reebok sweat pants and a Pens t-shirt with his ever present hat. The house, on the other hand, wasn’t so put together. Besides the windows and doors, there was nothing else done, a complete blank slate.

Sid must have sensed my curiosity because he made a sweeping motion with his hand as he offered “I just met with the electrician today so we can get the ball rolling”. I nodded and he moved into what I assumed would be the kitchen. There were two folding chairs, an ipod dock and a cooler which was opened to reveal bottles of water immersed in tons of ice.

“The plumber is coming next, so I decided to just stay here and chill out”, he added as he took a seat. I followed suit and sat down slowly onto the chair. We were silent for a moment, not looking at each other, just staring ahead. Sid broke the ice first, “so you look good”, he said and I smiled as I muttered a thank you in reply.

Why was I so nervous around him all of a sudden? There were no feelings there, but it was an uncomfortable atmosphere in this house and I couldn’t wait to get out of here and get home to my bed.

“How’s the baby?” I glanced at him, “the baby is doing well, kicking up a storm and loves to do gymnastics all night long”. Sid grinned and moved his hand as if to touch my stomach but stopped in his tracks. “Is it okay, I mean, can I feel the baby kicking?”

“Of course”, I replied and he gently placed his hands on my stomach. We sat for a moment or two and just as I sensed that he was getting tired of waiting and would remove his hands, the baby kicked. He immediately took his hands off and a look of shock crossed his face for a moment before he replaced it with a huge goofy, toothy smile. “That’s awesome”, he said as he replaced his hands and felt as the baby continued to kick.

“There’s a baby in there”, he said as I laughed and his cheeks turned red. “I didn’t mean it like that, it’s just that, I dunno, it feels real now”, he added and gave me a shy smile.

“Its okay, I got you”, I told him as I glanced at my watch. “Sorry to cut this short, but I’m exhausted and all I want to do right now is crawl into bed and sleep into next week”.

Sid looked me up and down and took his time before saying anything. “You really look like you need a break, are you working too hard?”

“No, I’m just working like I always did”, I told him as I turned to walk towards the door.

“How long are you planning on working? This isn’t good for the baby, shouldn’t you be taking it easy?”

“I plan to work right up until the doctor tells me I shouldn’t; I want to try to save as much money as I can for when the baby is born”. Sid looked somber as the words sank in.

“You don’t have to worry about money, I’m going to take care of the baby. I’ve accepted the responsibility, I’m not going to be difficult”, he looked so boyish as he said the words and I couldn’t help the feeling of sadness that washed over me. I had never asked for anything from him, yet he was agreeing to step up and care for his child.

In that moment, I had a newfound feeling of respect for him and I think it was in that moment that he earned a little place in my heart. As long as we could get along, this might actually work and not be as difficult as I had envisioned.

On my drive home, his words kept echoing in my head and for the first time in years, I felt like things were going to be okay. Even when you added Nate into the picture.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has taken hours to type this update with my one hand, so I apologize for the lack of updates.

Feedback is something that also really helps shape the direction the story is going in and helps with writers block. So please, if you read and like, feel free to comment. If you have any suggestions, those are always welcomed as well.