Sequel: Tied Together

This Wasn't Suppose to Happen

Part 24

A few hours later, I was struggling with getting Ryanna to latch on so I could breastfeed. Sid was in the rocking chair, trying not to look but still pay attention at the same time. The nurse was giving me all kinds of tips and nothing was working. I was frustrated, the baby was crying and the reassurance the nurse kept giving me was not helping.

Just as I was ready to give up, I heard voices outside the door. Who would be coming to visit us? I had no family and as far as I was aware, Sid hadn’t made any phone calls to anyone. When he left before the game last night, he told Dan that he probably wouldn’t be at practice this morning, but no one had official word. Or so I thought.

The nurse heard the voices and moved from where she was standing and went to open the door. “I’m sorry but visiting hours isn’t for another 2 hours, this is rest time for the new parents”, she explained.

“My granddaughter is in there; I’ve been up all night and just spent countless hours in airports and on planes to get here. Now, please, excuse me while I go and greet my son and his child”, a middle age woman pushed past the nurse and Sid stood to hug her.

A man followed suit and I could only assume that he was Sid’s Dad. This wasn’t what I was anticipating for the first time I met his parents. I might have managed to catch about 3 hours of sleep after 12 hours of labor and I desperately needed a shower. Not to mention, I was only covered with a sheet and trying to get the baby to breast feed. This was humiliating.

Sid’s mom was sniffling and she turned her attention to me while Sid hugged his Dad. “Oh my God, she’s gorgeous”, she said as she walked over towards me. “I’m Trina, Sid’s Mom”, she said as she extended a hand. I shifted awkwardly to juggle the baby, keep myself covered up and shake her hand at the same time. “Nice to meet you, I’m Janelle”, I said as she glanced down at the baby.

“Can I”, Trina started to say and then stopped, looking uncomfortable. “Of course”, I told her and motioned that it was okay for her to pick up her Granddaughter. Trina and Troy ohhed and awed over Ryanna as Sid glanced at me.

“Mom and Dad, this is Ryanna Catherine Crosby”, he announced and his parents looked up. “Oh Sid, you kept the tradition”, his mom said as tears pooled in her eyes.

“Ya and no hyphenated last name either”, Sid added as he gave me a wink. Troy looked at me, almost as if he was sizing me up and then cleared his throat. “Thank you”, were the words that was said as he turned his attention back to his granddaughter. Trina laid the baby into his arms and came over to me. Wrapping me into one of the biggest hugs I’ve ever received, apart from my parents that is, she hugged me tightly and I glanced around the room at my daughter, Sid and his father and for the first time in years, I felt like I was part of a family. A very tiny part of an interesting family dynamic, but a family none the less. Maybe Ryanna came into my life to show me that I could let my guard down and that I could let people into my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little update before Christmas. Wishing my readers a very Merry Christmas and I'll have a bonus chapter in Sid's POV for you in the next few days.

Thanks for reading, as as always, please feel free to comment!