Sequel: Tied Together

This Wasn't Suppose to Happen

Part 3

Exhausted after my busy afternoon in the sports therapy department of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre, I entered Excuses bar just in time for happy hour. Grabbing a seat at the bar, I ordered a Jack and coke while I tried to forget my last client. I had just started to relax a bit when the guy next to me bumped my elbow and caused my drink to spill all over my shirt. “Just great”, I muttered as I quickly tried to grab napkins to clean up the mess.

“Shit, I’m sorry”, the guy next to me said as he shoved a handful of napkins towards me. “I didn’t mean to do that, I’m so sorry”.

“Don’t worry about it, with the day I’m having, I’d be surprised if something like this didn’t happen”, I replied as I started rubbing at the stain on my shirt.

Grabbing my purse, I headed to the washroom and decided that the stain wasn’t worth the trouble. I was still wearing a Lulu Lemon hoodie, so I threw out my shirt and zipped up the hoodie to cover myself. Glancing at my reflection in the mirror, I cringed at the dark circles under my eyes. This day was really one for the books; drinking to forget was the only thing that could help this day.

I returned to my seat at the bar and as soon as I sat down, a drink appeared in front of me. “It’s the least I can do”, the guy next to me said as he motioned to the drink.

“Thanks”, I replied as I picked up the glass and let the liquid flow down my throat. “Whoa, easy”, the guy said as I placed the half empty glass on the bar. I turned to look at him, who was this guy anyhow and why was my drinking any of his concern?

I finally got a real good look at him and couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Sidney freaking Crosby was the one who spilled the drink all over me. I couldn’t say that I wasn’t a hockey fan, but living in a City where everyone was so focused on sports, it wasn’t as exciting to me. Add in the fact that I treat athletes all day long and I could care less about hockey and the players. We had a few NHL players on our schedule and neither one of them blew me away, they were arrogant and rude. Obviously, Mr Superstar Crosby never came into our department; word was that he had only the top therapists tending to his needs.
I had long ago decided that Sid was nothing more than a cocky guy, sure he was good at hockey, but the way Pittsburgh made him out to be the hero was just crazy. His comment about my drink only added to my opinion of him. If he was going to change what I thought about him, the best thing he could do right now was shut the fuck up.

“Do you have a problem?” I asked him as I picked up the glass again.

I stared intently into his eyes as if to challenge him and I could see it was working. “Ummm, no. No problem”, he said as he watched me down the rest of my drink.

“I’ll have another”, I said as the bartender looked in my direction. I reached for my purse and felt a hand on mine. “It’s okay, it’s on me”, he told me as the bartender approached with my refill. Sid nodded to him and he placed the drink in front of me and walked down to the other end of the bar.

“What are you doing in a bar anyhow? Don’t you have some awesome captain training to do or something?” I knew I sounded like a bitch, but screw it; it wasn’t like I was trying to impress.

“You’re not the only one having a hard day”, he said and I was surprised by the tone of his voice. So Mr. Goody two shoes has an attitude. Suddenly he didn’t seem as bad as I thought he was. I liked people that challenged me and could hold their own.

“Wanna play who had the worse day? Bet I’d win”, I said as I took a long gulp of my drink.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that”, he said as he turned so his body was facing me. “I was told by the management today that if I have to stop playing again because of concussion symptoms that they are going to force me to retire”. I knew all about his concussion, who didn’t, but this surprised me. Homeboy was the face of the franchise and the league; they would really try to get him to retire if he experienced symptoms again.

He mistook my silence for something else because he suddenly said “I win”. I rolled my eyes and followed his lead and turned so my body faced his. “You win? Doubtful. I just found out that my Grandfather died, I have a total of 50 bucks in my bank account and my credit cards are maxed so I don’t get to go home for the funeral and on top of it all, the department was just informed that they are cutting back on jobs and since I was the last one hired, I will probably be let go. On top of all that, I came here to drink to forget and ended up with a drink for a shirt and am now wearing a hoodie over a bra and trying to win a game of who’s life sucks more with Sidney Crosby. Ya, I think that’s about it”, I said as I downed the rest of my drink without taking my eyes off of his.

“Well, we have one thing in common”, Sid said as I placed my empty glass on the bar. “Oh ya? And what is that?”

“We’re both in jeopardy of losing our jobs”, he said as he turned back to the bar and laid his folded arms on top.

“Seriously? You’re going there? You’re not losing your job, they would make you retire. You have more than enough money, you can retire 100 times over and still live comfortably and not worry about money.” I shook my head and stood up. He was just another asshole.

“Thanks for the drink”, I said as I turned to walk out of the bar. A hand on my arm stopped me in my tracks. “Did you really throw your shirt in the garbage?” he asked in a husky voice.

“Don’t believe me?” I unzipped my hoodie and showed off my black laced breasts. I didn’t even get a chance to zip it back up before his mouth was on mine. Letting all thoughts disappear from my head, I was wrapped up in the kiss. His tongue was searching for an entrance into my mouth and I parted my lips slightly as he deepened the kiss and expertly explored my mouth. His hands were everywhere, in my hair, on my breasts and I was only vaguely aware that we were in the middle of a bar.

We broke apart and looked at each other. “Do you wanna get out of here?” he asked and I nodded as I zipped up my hoodie. He threw down money on the bar and I quickly followed him out of the bar and hopped in the passenger side of his Range Rover.