Status: Work in progressssss :)

Teach Me How to Read These Broken Lines

"We never lost you."

May, 2013

"Need to rant ASAP."

"Shifts over. Stop in? Coffees on me."

"Lifesaver. <3 Be there in a few."


The brunette woman laughed a little to herself, sliding her phone in the front pocket of her jeans. Her best friend and roommate, Penny, always came to her when she had things to rant about, whether it was completely important or not was completely and utterly debatable.

"Hey Mike, can I get two iced caramel macchiattos?"

The older man behind the counter was staring off into space and when she spoke, nearly jumped out of his skin. When he realized it was just her, he rolled his eyes. "Get it yourself, Charlie."

"No can do, my shift ended." The woman, Charlie, batted her blue eyes.

Mike rolled his eyes. "Alright, alright." He grumbled along with a few other things that went unheard to Charlie as he turned to begin making her the drinks she wanted.

"Thank you," She mocked a sweet smile as she received two Styrofoam cups. When he grumbled again, she laughed, making her way over to an empty table.

She wasn't there long before Penny joined her. She sat down and took a long sip of her macchiatto. "Thank you sweetie."

Charlie nodded her head. "What happened?"

The blond let out a frustrated sigh. "Leonard."

"...what the hell happened now?"

"He told me he loved me."

Charlie rolled her eyes. "Penny, you and Leonard have been dating off and on for how long now? Since before I moved in with you? I know you've only been together a month so far this time around, but come on, it's not completely unreasonable for him to say it now." When Penny sipped her coffee rather than responding, Charlie started again. "Do you love Leonard?"

"I...don't know!"

"How do you not know?!"

"I just don't! If I wanted lecture I would've talked to Bernadette or Amy, but no. I thought 'If anyone would understand it would be Charlie.' You're like anti-relationships!"

"I am not!"

"Charlie, I've lived with you for almost a year now. You haven't been in a relationship for more than two weeks."

The brunette shrugged the blond's accusations. "They bored me."

"Please! You were scared it was going to end up like the New York guy, whom you've yet to tell me anything more than 'It ended badly.'"

"..It's all irrelevant now." Their argument continued to drag on. When Charlie finally glanced at her phone again, it was nearly three o'clock. "You have to go to work." As both women got up, she offered Penny one last bit of advice. "Take your time with saying it. The worst thing you could do is say it and not mean it. I'll see you later."

They went their separate ways: Penny to the Cheesecake Factory and Charlie to their apartment. As she entered the building, her mind wondered if her neighbors Leonard (also Penny's boyfriend) and Sheldon would be home. It wasn't comic book night so she didn't see why they wouldn't. She was so wrapped up in her thoughts, she completely missed the man in the lobby awaiting her arrival. How she didn't notice him (considering he was in a trench coat and had an eye patch), she would ponder later on the helicopter.

"Charlotte Rogers," The familiar voice made Charlie stop dead in her tracks.

She let out a sigh, running a hand through the thick hair she had inherited from her grandmother. "You found me." Her tone was calm, not surprised like Nick had been expecting.

A chuckle escaped his lips. "I think you underestimate the organization, Ms. Rogers. We never lost you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sequel to 'In the Darkest Times You Find Out What You're Made Of'. No Jesse or Clint in this chapter, but they'll come up, I promise. :) This takes place a year after Loki attacked New York. I own nothing, except my original characters: Jess and Charlie. All the Avengers/Other heroes(I can't tell you yet :P) belong to Marvel. This chapter had MAJOR Big Bang Theory references (Penny, Leonard, Sheldon, Bernadette, Amy), I don't own any of those characters either. It's not important if you don't want that show, I just added them for my own amusement. Also, special shout out to Garideth a faithful commenter to the prequel of this story. Thank you for all the support hun! :)