Status: Next Update By: 00/00/00

The Good Ones Go

Trouble in Paradise

Image


Chelsea slowly sips the martini in her hand as she lies back on her beach chair. She enjoys the feel of the hot sun beaming down on her body as she wriggles her toes in the burning sand. Slowly opening her eyes she looks through the large Channel sunglasses nestled on her face and out into the ocean. Chelsea lets out a heavy sigh before glancing back down at her drink. She picks up her mini orange umbrella and jabbed it into the olive before popping it into her mouth. Chewing slowly she takes another sip before waving over a small tan woman who's carrying a tray full of colorful martinis. She places her refreshment on the wooden table to her right before closing her eyes and lying back once again.

"You had me worried there for a moment, you know?" the man beside her finally speaks. It's silent for a few moments before he adds, "I really thought you would choose him."

Chelsea turns to her left to take a good look at him. It's past noon and even with the sunglasses shielding her eyes, Chelsea has to squint as she looks his way because the sun is just too strong. She lets her eyes slowly trail down his tattooed arms before she turns her head back to a comfortable position and lets her eyes flutter shut. She lies there quietly for a few minutes without bothering to say anything back. He tries to show her that he won't take her silence as an answer by forcing the fingers of his right hand to tangle with her left. He quickly gives her hand a gentle squeeze before letting their locked arms hang loosely between the two chairs.

Chelsea takes a deep breath. What does he expect her to say? It had only been a day, and he's already doubting her; she's beginning to think that maybe she did make the wrong decision.

"You thought I would leave you at the altar?" she asks. 'Way to have faith, Adam,' she thinks to herself.

She feels him play with the rings on her finger before he says, "no, not until I saw that you were thinking about it."

Chelsea clenches her teeth and squeezes her eyes shut. He knows. He knows how she really feels. Why is he here?

"I mean. Maybe if it was any other guy I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I wasn't sure you were even really over him," he says. Adam runs his hand through his black hair before wiping the sweat off his damp forehead.

Chelsea sucks the air in between her teeth sharply before asking, "you thought I was still in love with him, and you still wanted to marry me?" She turns her head his way curious to see his reaction.

Adam just shrugs as he stares forward into the horizon. Sometimes he finds it hard to make eye contact with his wife because he's scared of what he'll see. Chelsea lets go of his hand and stands up as she pulls her floppy hat off her head and sets it down on her chair. She doesn’t take a second glance at her husband but quickly re-adjusts her bikini and begins walking toward the shore.

Adam takes a moment to admire the way her ass jiggles as she walks before getting up to follow her. He stands on the wet sand and watches as Chelsea runs into the ocean and disappears underneath the waves. He walks in slowly and cautiously and stands in the water waiting for her to find her way back to him.

She emerges before him with a splash and throws her soaked hair back. Adam reaches forward to pull the glasses out of her hands and push them up on her head. They are chest deep in the ocean, and he stares into her eyes as she wraps her thin legs around his waist. Adam gives her a soft smile as he lets his hands trail to her thighs, then to her ass.

'What?" she asks him while using a hand to shield her eyes from the sun.

"Nothing," he shakes his head with a grin, "I'm just glad you chose me."

Chelsea smiles in response and leans in for a kiss before saying, "sure as hell wasn't brain surgery."

A few hours later that same day, Chelsea sits in an armchair looking at the room service menu while Adam finishes up his shower. After their wedding last night, the couple had hopped on a late flight to Hawaii for their honeymoon. Their first day on the island was nice, but she knows that they would have to go home soon because Adam has waiting patients, and she has a fellowship. Chelsea runs her hands through her dirty hair and picks the hotel phone up. After ordering their meal, she walks out onto the balcony to get some fresh air as she waits for Adam.

Adam. She's here with Adam. They're on their honeymoon. Because they're married? Oh God, this is all just too soon for her. She closes her eyes and lets out a heavy sigh. Maybe all this is a mistake.

Yea, maybe it is a mistake. But she really does love him - maybe they can make it work. Chelsea groans. It's only day two, and she's already talking about making it work.

Her tired mind fills with visions of her wedding day. Just hours ago she was standing in front of Father Olliani watching Colson beg her to take him back. She remembers the way he looked with his suit, and his shoes, and his hands, and his hair, and his face, his handsome face. If it had been any day but her wedding day she may have said fuck it all and ran into his arms like they do in all those movies. But this isn't a movie it's real life, and in real life no one gets the happy endings - they just get endings that they have to make happy all by themselves. Chelsea sighs.

Strong arms on her shoulders shake her of her thoughts, and she looks up to see Adam grinning back down at her. "Did you call for the food?" he asks her, and she moves from the railing as she nods to him.

The pair walk back into the room, and Adam grabbed his wallet off the table before saying, "I'll be right back. Gonna go to the ATM downstairs for some cash." Chelsea tells him to hurry and watches as he leaves. She waits to hear the door shut completely before flopping down on the mattress and letting out a content sigh. She's emotionally drained, and all she really wants is some sleep, but she knows she won’t get it. She lies there for a minute before she hears a knock on the door. The room service is already here, and Adam isn't back; she would just have to put it on her card.

Chelsea heaved herself up and pulled open the heavy oak door. To her surprise, instead of the tray of food she ordered, before stands Travis fidgeting in old Adidas joggers and a white t-shirt. Her eyes run up the tattoos on his arms before they reach his face, and she has an urge to throw herself at him, but she refrains.

"Travis?" she furrows her eyebrows. "What are you doing here?" she asks. She's worried that something is wrong so she steps back to let him in and shuts the door behind them.

"Remember when you asked me if I thought he was cheating?" Travis asks her. His arms are crossed over his chest as he watches her intently. Chelsea's face falls, and she lets out a heavy sigh before looking out into the black horizon through her open balcony doors.

"She was at his apartment before the wedding; what I heard sounded…suspicious," Travis admits. He's scared she'll be mad at him, but he's trying to do the right thing.

"Fuck, Travis! You couldn’t have told me this yesterday before I fucking married him!?!?!" Chelsea yells. Her hands are on her face, and she has no idea what to do now. If this is true she would beat even Kim Kardashian's record.

"I'm sorry, I just didn't want to be a bad friend, but now that I thought about it maybe it was a mistake. I don’t know, okay? I just needed to tell you." His hands are in his pockets, and he's biting down on his lip. He doesn't really understand what he's doing here, but something inside him told him to come, and he's scared that he's fucked everything up by listening.

Chelsea is about to speak but stops when she hears the door beep and the knob twist. The two watch the door like hawks as Adam throws it open and lets himself in. He's even more surprised to find the pair standing together than Chelsea had been to find Travis at the doorstep of their hotel room.

"What's going on here?" he asks with raised eyebrows while gently closing the door behind him.

"Drop the fucking act," Chelsea says. She's letting her emotions get the best of her even though she's trying to contain herself.

"What?" Adam is confused.

"I had to come. I couldn’t keep holding it in, not anymore," Travis adds. He sounds like a 17 year old girl to Adam who could not figure out why his best man was interrupting his honeymoon.

"What the fuck are you doing constantly parading around with our fucking WEDDING planner?!" Chelsea asks him. Her arms are crossed, and she's got a straight face. Adam tries to defend himself, but Chelsea interrupts, "don't you dare say you're not because you damn well know you come home every night reeking of her perfume."

Adam sighs. "Fuck!" he shouts as he turns around and kicks the door he came through.

Chelsea's mouth drops a little. She assumes his behavior confirms their allegations, and she just can't believe it. She'd gotten accustomed to the signs of cheating from enduring Colson's behaviors for so long, but Adam played her better than Cole ever could. What kind of fucking luck does she have?

"Get out," Chelsea demands before running out onto the balcony and slamming the doors behind her.

Adam tries to run after her, but Travis stops him. "What the fuck, man? Let me go. She doesn't get it!" Adam tries to explain, but Travis isn't having any of it.

"There's nothing to explain," Travis tells him, "thanks for playing, but the game is over." Travis' hand is up against Adam's chest, and he's ready to throw a punch at his best friend if he needs to.

"I'm not cheating!" Adam yells, and Travis rolls his eyes. "Look, I know what it seems like, but can I get a chance to explain?" Adam begs. He's desperate, but he wants to save the situation - to save their honeymoon.

Travis sighs at him and nods, "2 minutes."

Adam nods knowing he doesn't even need that long. "I bought a house," leaves his lips as quickly as Travis gives it the chance to.

"What?" Travis asks. He's shocked. He did fuck up.

"A house. Beth was helping me. She's a good friend of the real estate agent who already had a buyer, and she helped me get a deal. I swear to God nothing happened. She's fucking furnishing it right now. I just wanted to surprise Chelsea and take her there when we came back home," he sighs out.

"A house?" Travis questions. He can't believe what he's hearing.

"Yes, a fucking house, Trav!" Adam yells kicking the desk chair to his right.

Travis watches as Adam began to pound on the balcony doors. He peers through the glass and watches as Chelsea ignores Adam and stares out into the ocean.

"Fuck," Travis sighs running his shaky hand through his hair.

"Yea, fuck is right you asshole," Adam yells back at him. "What best man fuck's up his best friend's honeymoon?" he asks. Adam's fuming mad, and Travis feels like shit; he never did have enough faith in people.

Travis waits until Adam gives up and throws himself back onto the mattress to try to get Chelsea to come back in himself. "Chels," he shouts with a knock on the glass.

She must have realized Adam is done because she spins back around and slides open the doors saying, "I want to go home."

"Chelsea -" Travis needs to get through to her.

"I said I want to go home!" she yells back at her friend.

Travis watches as she throws open her suitcase and begins to pack. He steps out onto the balcony and lets his hands fall into the pockets of his Adidas pants. His right hand wraps around the phone and passport in his pocket, and Travis let out a sigh. What was he thinking coming all the way up here? A text would have sufficed. He lets out a small chuckle before sucking in the warm Hawaiian air. He's pathetic. He'll never get what he wants from Chelsea.

By the time Travis walks back in, the couple is packed and putting their shoes on. He shakes his head and follows them out of the suite and to the lobby where they wait for their ride to the airport. The cab is silent. Adam is in the front while Travis and Chelsea sit in the back on opposite ends avoiding any contact. When they get to Hilo International, they trade in their tickets for the next flight. It's a bigger hassle than they expect, but Chelsea wouldn't have it any other way. After two hours of arguing with the attendant, they finally find themselves in line boarding the Boeing 747 back to Maryland.

The next ten hours are silent save for the flight attendants and the crying baby boy two rows away. Adam doesn’t bother trying to talk to his wife because as soon as she sits down she puts her headphones in her ears and turns her head the other way.

Travis sits across the aisle and watches the newlyweds; he can’t remember the last time he felt this bad. With a couple hours of the flight left, Travis can’t take seeing them still unwilling to talk to one another. He pulls out his iPhone and sent Chelsea a text.

Chelsea feels her phone vibrate in her jeans. She lets out a sigh and allows her eyes to flutter open as she reaches into her pocket. When she sees the text is from Travis she momentarily contemplates ignoring it, but she's mildly curious about what he has to say. She opens her inbox and reads, "I was wrong, Chels. Just talk to him, please." Chelsea rolls her eyes and shuts her phone off. He was wrong? What's there to be wrong about? Adam cheated on her, and that's that. There's nothing more to discuss.

Half an hour after their flight lands the trio is at the carousel searching for their luggage. Adam's phone erupt into a loud ring and Chelsea sneaks a glance at the screen to see who's calling.

"You're supposed to be on your honeymoon, and your whore is calling you? She couldn't have waited a couple days?" Chelsea scoffs at him before pulling her bag off the line and walking away.

"Chels! Wait!" Adam shouts after her grabbing his own bag and breaking out into a sprint. "Let me explain," he says when he catches up.

"Look, I really don’t want to talk right now. Let's just go home, please," she says not giving him a second glance.

Adam sighs. He decides to let her have it her way for the night and walks next to her in silence. He loads their bags into an waiting cab and hands him a post-it with their new address on it. They realize they've left Travis behind, but right now neither of them care for him too much. As the cab driver comes to a halt in front of Chelsea's two story dream house she raises her eyebrows and leans forward. "Our place is down the block, sir," she tells him politely.

"No this is it, thank you. Get out of the car, Chelsea," Adam demands as he hands the driver a hundred and hops out before Chelsea can protest.

"What are you doing, Adam?" Chelsea asks him as he shuts the trunk and waves goodbye to the cab.

"I'm going home," he tells her and pulls the luggage toward the house. Chelsea stands in the street and watches as he pulls out his keys and opens the door. He flips the light switch on, and Chelsea gasps at the sight of the brand new leather couch and the sets of boxes scattered through out the living room. Her eyes glance back to the front lawn and she notices that there's a "SOLD" sticker over the "For Sale" sign.

She turns back to the front door and sees that Adam is still holding it open. Her legs are wobbly and she's so shocked, but somehow she manages to walk over to her wonderful husband. "Adam -" she begins but is immediately interrupted by him.

"I really don’t wanna talk right now; good night," he tells her and heads up the cherry oak stairs without another word. Chelsea watches his footsteps and listens as he opens and shuts the door of a room before she lets out a deep sigh. He's mad that she doubted him, and he has every right to be.

She takes a moment to look around the half-furnished living room and lets out a small smile. It's everything she had wanted. Adam. How did he do this? Did he write down every word she'd ever said about this home she envisioned for them? She groans. How could she just jump to conclusions like that? It was so unfair of her. She had only been married for 3 days now, and she was already the worst wife ever. Is this a sign?

She quietly makes her way up the steps and checks a few rooms before she finds the fully decked out master bedroom. She lets out another smile as she walks towards the canopy bed that Adam is lying on. She strips down to her underwear and gets underneath the covers curling up next to him. They stare at each other for a moment before Adam rolls his eyes and turns around.

Chelsea lets out a heavy sigh as a large frown grows on her face. Maybe she's finally getting what she deserves.