Status: Next Update By: 00/00/00

The Good Ones Go

What's in Baltimore?

Image


The next couple months were difficult for Chelsea. Perhaps difficult is even an understatement. She spent most of her nights at home, but never in her bed with Adam. After what they did that night, she wasn’t sure that she could be next to him without being tempted again. She loves him, God, she loves him, but she didn’t want to have sex with him to decide if she wants to spend the rest of her life with him. It seems wrong - unfair.

The night she left Adam naked on the couch she never came home. She told him she would. He knew better than to call her. She spent the rest of that week sleeping at Travis’s house hoping he’d come home, but when he didn’t she gave up. It was difficult for her to accept that he up and left without a word, but to be fair he did try to talk to her when he caught her in the act. At first she couldn't believe that he was mad at the sight of her with her husband, but when she remembered that he had just professed his love for her she understood.

Travis has been putting his whole life on hold for her for over a decade. He would be waiting with open arms every time she came running. It didn’t matter where he was or who he was with, he always made an effort to make her feel like she was the most important person in the world. How she hadn't realized he loved her all that time is beyond her. He spoiled her. She took advantage of him. She was stringing him along like a lap dog. She couldn't expect him to be there forever. Still, it would be nice if he was here today.

"Chelsea, honey," Adam's voice brings her out of her trance. She stands in the window in the living room of the modest Descarte house as she absentmindedly fiddles with the ring on her finger. "He still hasn't called back?" he asks eyeing the phone between her hands. She's kept that phone in her sight for months, and he's getting tired of seeing it.

Chelsea shakes her head with a frown. Maybe she's being stupid, but she's worried about him. He's never left her hanging, and this is too long for Chelsea's comfort.

"I told you, he's probably in London and just really busy. He'll call back," Adam switches the glass of whiskey he's holding to his left hand as his right rubs Chelsea's back.

She nods understandingly in response to his words, but her stomach is doing flips, and her face is giving her away.

"Chels, it's Christmas. Let's enjoy the rest of the night with my family, please," he pleads with her, and she bites her lip before offering him a nod.

They walk closely back into the kitchen where Adam's mother, Paula, and sister, Jamie, are laughing at the conversation. Jamie is balancing a two year old on her hip as her husband, Ed, throws back a shot with a grin. Adam's oldest brother, Leo, is settled close to his girlfriend at the island apologizing to her about the stupidity of his family. His younger brother, George, looks up as the two walk back in, and Chelsea shoots him a smile as she settles down next to him on a chair.

"You okay, Chels?" George asks her in a whisper as if her answer would be a secret.

"Yea, Georgie, thanks," she responds reaching for the glass of whiskey he pours her.

Adam fights back a chuckle at his 19 year old brother's crush on his wife before introducing himself back into the conversation.

The rest of the evening is quaint, but Chelsea is unusually quiet, and most of the room seems to notice, but no one says anything as they enjoy each other's company. It's nice to spend time with his family even though it seems to reinforce the idea that she'll never have something as solid as this. Her parents, though they are still around, are not contenders for the parents of the year. The alcohol and drugs that consumed them when she was a child didn't leave any time for her. Colson was her only solace, and though it was hard - the nights with out a bed or a meal - at least they had each other. Her parents have gotten help since then when her father developed severe cirrhosis and almost died from an overdose, but Chelsea doesn't trust them enough to maintain a consistent relationship. She sits in silence as she thinks about Adam's family and her own. The time passes by quickly, and she feels her exhaustion set in when an accidental bump from George brings her back to reality.

"Alright guys it's time for us to go," Adam yawns as he glances at his watch that reads 10:53. He feels Chelsea push herself off the couch from his side in response to his words only to hear George protest.

"Aww, come on, Chels. Can't you stay a little longer. We never get to see you guys," he insists looking up at her adoringly.

"We got an early flight in the morning, Georgie," Adam argues knowing his wife is tired.

George only sighs and stands to hug the woman before feeling a punch on his shoulder. "Alright, Georgie, hands off," Adam jokes making the kid blush.

Everyone in the room laughs as Chelsea places a kiss on his cheek, and his face turns the shade of a beet. They say their goodbyes, and she walks down the hall to the entryway thinking Adam is at her heels.

"Is everything okay with you two?" she hears a hushed voice ask from the corner of the office space to her right.

"Yea, ma, everything's fine," Adam lets out a sigh, and Chelsea purses her lips at the lie when she hears it.

"It sure doesn't seem like it. If you need to talk, I'm here for you. I don't know what happened. You two were so happy together," the woman insists.

"It's just Travis. He's been MIA for a couple months, and she's worried. He's never done this before," Adam decides to give his mother a not-lie-not-truth in hopes she'll drop this, but the look on her face tells him otherwise.

"Travis? Please don't tell me he's getting in between you? I told you Leo should've been your best man," his mother's voice is louder and warning now, and Chelsea grabs her coat pretending she's not listening in case they see her.

"Ma, please," Adam sighs, and it makes Chelsea's stomach churn. She hates putting him through this.

"Son, promise me that you'll leave the second that that she gives you a hint that she's going to cheat," the woman insists, and Chelsea gasps inaudibly shutting her eyes to keep from crying.

"Goodnight, ma," he raises his voice, and Chelsea hears his footsteps from around the corner approaching. He stops for a second when he sees her there before grabbing his jacket and opening the door.

"I'm sorry," Adam huffs her way as they get into the car shivering from the cold.

"No, it's my fault. I should've done better," she sighs at her stupidity.

"I don't mind that you're shit at lying," Adam says, and she can hear the fear in his voice. If she was any better at it he's scared he wouldn't know.

"Adam," she calls as she reaches to place a hand on his knee.

"Sorry, I know that was out of line," he glances at her. She's trying. She's been trying. Maybe he's the one screwing this up now.

"It's okay. I get it," she reassures.

The drive to the hotel is quiet as she stares down at her phone. The next morning the drive to the airport is quieter, and she's thankful they decided to fly instead of making the seven hour drive to Boston. That would've been unbearable. On the plane Chelsea settles her head on Adam's shoulder, and he reaches down to grab her hand. She watches his fingers fidget with the ring on her finger, and she can’t help but think of Travis again.

***


Travis sighs as he looks down at his ringing iPhone. Seeing Chelsea with Adam made him realize he needs to stop holding his breath. He already told her what he needed to say, and clearly she doesn’t share those feelings. He knows he’s stupid to feel jealous. Adam is her husband. How could Travis expect her not to have sex with him? But did she have to do it 30 minutes after he told her that he loves her? Travis shakes his head. When he left the Descarte house two months ago that was the last time he saw her. She hasn’t stopped calling since then. His phone rings everyday at 11 am. He’s still the first person she thinks of when she wakes up in the morning. He never told her he went to London. Maybe Adam did.

Travis pulls his phone back out of his pocket when he hears the ding. Another voicemail. She’d left three so far. It’s the only way he can hear her voice now. As he presses play in the menu he gulps and closes his eyes imagining she’s right in front of him.

“Hey Trav. It’s me again,” her voice is almost a whisper. “Just calling to wish you a Happy New Year,” when her voice pauses he bites his lip in anticipation of what she’ll say next. Fuck. He misses her. “I wish you’d pick up. I miss you. I get why you’re mad. You’ve been carrying all my baggage all this time, and I know you’re sick of it. I get it. You have your own life to live. Still,” he can hear her voice crack, and his eyes clench imagining the look on her face. “I wish you’d pick up.” There is silence, and he thinks the message is over, but then there’s a sob, “I took you for granted, Trav. Fuck,” a shaky sigh follows, “I miss you so much.” There is a sniffle, then another, and he can hear her faking the smile in her words, “I'm so sorry. Happy New Year.” That’s the end.

She left voicemails for Thanksgiving, and Christmas too that he replayed on occasion. It was already January 6th, and he was beginning to think that she was done leaving him these little audio gifts for the holidays. The other ones weren’t as upsetting though. Maybe he shouldn’t have left. He could have done fashion week without ghosting on her completely. He wonders if she’ll forgive him.

“Travis,” a voice calls his name from the bathroom, and he looks over to see the redhead poking her head past the door. Travis feels his heart beat fast, nervous that the girl may have witnessed him unraveling at the message. “You okay?” she furrows her brows as she steps out in her lingerie to get a better look at him.

“Yea, fine,” he doesn’t want to get into it. “I just wanna go back home,” he admits. He feels guilty as his eyes fall on Madelaine's body.

“You’re staying for the show tomorrow aren’t you?” she doesn’t understand how his demeanor changed so quickly. They were just having sex, and he was in a good mood.

“I’m doing the show, and then I'm on the first plan to Baltimore,” he tells her imagining Chelsea’s smiling face. Except right now she isn’t smiling, and that’s his fault.

“Baltimore?” the redhead chuckles. “What the hell’s in Baltimore?” She had assumed he would accompany her back to LA, and even though their time spent together has been a little fickle and mostly spent in the bed, she'd enjoyed it.

“My life, Madie,” he snaps at her. She’s not wrong though. He would be in Cali if it wasn’t for Chelsea - there’s no way she’d leave John Hopkins and follow him across the country.

“Woah, okay, whatever. I was only kidding,” she’s taken aback by his newly found attitude. “Let’s just go,” she says as she pulls on a pair of jeans and a tee and lets the door of the hotel room slam shut behind her.

***


"You didn't have to fly with me," Travis says to Madelaine, who's waiting to board with him.

"I'm curious to see what’s in Baltimore," she chuckles. She opted to spend a week there before flying back home in hopes that Travis would continue their relationship, whatever it is.

Travis rolls his eyes at the girl before saying, "you're not in for much." She says nothing as he looks down at his iPhone before bringing it to his ear.

"Travis," he hears her gasp into the phone, and his heart flutters at the sound of her voice.

"Hey," is all he manages. He feels starstruck just by the way she says his name.

"Where have you been? I've been going crazy," she admits, and he hears her struggling to catch her breath as he glances at his watch realizing it 1 AM where she's at. He must have woke her.

"London. I thought Adam would have told you," he sighs. He's glad that she's not mad that he's been avoiding her, that he's disturbing her sleep.

"He mentioned it, but still, it's been months," the sound of her voice cracking makes him shut his eyes tight.

"I'm landing at 10 in the morning. I know it's a lot to ask, but I was hoping you could pick me up if you don't have to work," he bites his lip ignoring the look Maddie's giving him.

"Yea, okay. No problem, Trav. I'll see you then," she says feeling the butterflies swarm her belly at the thought as she hangs up the phone and rolls back over.

"Who was that?" Madelaine asks with a raised brow when her lover pockets his cell.

"A friend," Travis states before pursing his lips. The thought of seeing her has him nervous, and he can't wait to be in the air and then on the ground again.

"Can't wait to meet him," she tells him, and he looks away to hide his expression.

'You'll be dissappointed,' Travis thinks to himself as he stands to get in line to board.

***


"If you still want me to drop you off you have to get dressed," Adam says grabbing his thermos wondering why his wife is still in her pajamas.

"Travis called last night," she says surprising him.

"Really?" Adam asks looking up at her. The jealousy wastes no time clouding his judgement as he wonders what they talked about.

"Yea, so I'm not going in today. I'm picking him up from the airport," she tells her husband earning herself a frown.

"You should have told me. I could come with you?" he suggests unwilling to leave her alone with him.

"I'll be fine, Adam," Chelsea rolls her eyes hearing the jealousy in his words. "I'm just picking him up, and taking him home. That's it," she tries to reassure him.

"Have you made your decision yet?" he asks getting a little hotheaded.

"No," she admits. She hasn't even had an opportunity to talk to Travis, how could he expect her to resolve her feelings without that closure?

Adam nods in response asking, "when does he land?"

"10," she says taking a sip of the tea from her mug.

"Text me when you get home," he instructs hoping it would deter her from staying too long. When he sees her nod he walks out of the kitchen and goes to work with a heavy heart.

Chelsea's heart skips a beat when the door shuts. Now that she's alone, all the feelings are overwhelming her. She gets to see Travis for the first time in three months today, and she feels like she's going on a first date. Her phone buzzes from the counter breaking her out of her thoughts.

"8 down, 4 to go," she reads the text from Colson aloud. It's an update on Casie who is finishing her fourth month of chemo today. Chelsea smiles. She's glad there was no spread, otherwise the prognosis would be bleak. Casie's been handling is as well as she can, and so has her father.

She brings the phone to her ear and listens to the ringing patiently.

"Chelsea," his voice sounds like a smile on the other end.

"Hey, how's she doing?" Chelsea asks reminding him what she's calling for.

"Great. We're so close," he says, and she smiles at the happiness she can hear in his voice.

"Good. I'm glad. You didn't text me after the last one, and I was beginning to worry," she admits biting her lip.

"Yea, sorry. The holidays were a little hectic for us," he confesses. He wishes he had time to see her for Christmas thinking back to the present in his trunk with her name on it. He'll never have the courage to give it to her.

"I get it. I'm just glad to hear she's handling it so well," Chelsea smiles. Colson's a great dad, and it makes her happy to hear that they're going to be alright.

"Do you wanna grab lunch with me today?" he asks hopefully.

She hears the nervousness in his voice, and it makes her sad to say no. "I've actually got some things to take care of today, but I'll call you when I'm free," she bites her lip imaging a smile on his face.

"Alright, Chels. I'll see you soon then," he adds before listening to her goodbye.

Chelsea glances at the watch on her wrist before going to get ready. Time passes by too fast because before she knows it she's at the airport in a little black dress and a pair of heels in the middle of winter hoping to impress him. Her coat clings to her as she walks from the parking lot into the airport. She waits only a few minutes in Arrivals before she spots the familiar tall man with a lanky physique, and heart skips a beat right before it stops when she spots the woman walking next to him.

***


"Where are you staying?" Travis asks with his hands in his pockets as they wait for their luggage.

"I was hoping with you," Madelaine answers as she reaches over to pull a large purple suitcase from the line.

"I don’t think that's a good idea," Travis admits. His heart is beating out of his chest knowing he's going to see Chelsea in a matter of minutes.

"Then just for the day until I find a hotel," she states assuming the silence that follows means he's ok with it. She's a little disappointed in how standoffish he's being, but she understands because whatever they had was never supposed to leave London.

When he grabs his bag they walk down the long hallway, and she can't help but notice how eager he is. Through the glass doors she can see a handful of people waiting, and she wonders which one of them is here for Travis.

When the doors slide open Travis feels like he's going to faint at the site of Chelsea and her bare legs lengthened by her heels. He watches the frown disappear from her face as she runs over at him. He lets go of his bag and wraps his arms around her smelling the coconut of her shampoo as he buries his head into her neck.

Chelsea fights to avoid the stare of the woman behind them as she hugs Travis like she thought he was dead. Her heart is beating so fast that she's sure he can feel it, and the goosebumps on her skin form when she feels his breath on her neck.

"I missed you, Chels," his whisper is muffled by how close his lips are to her neck, but he doesn’t want to move away just yet. Feeling her so close seemed unimaginable just a few weeks ago, and he's scared that if he lets go everything will be down hill from here. So much for moving on.

"God, I missed you too, Travis," her voice is audible enough to fall on Maddie's ears as she sighs into Travis' shoulder. She never thought she'd get to see him again, and now his mere prescence has her feeling such an indescrible rush that she can't be sure he's real.

When they finally let go Madelaine clears her throat, and Travis turns back realizing he had forgotten about her. "Hi. I'm Madie," she says extending her hand for a shake toward the unfamiliar woman. The entire month they’ve spent together Travis has never mentioned her, and the sight of them hugging has her feeling like a third wheel.

"Chelsea," she breaths nervoulsy hoping this isn't a girlfriend.

Madie's eyes waste no time looking her up and down before they fall on the blinding sparkle that sits on her hand. She looks up with a smile wondering what the fuck is going on. Travis doesn't wear a ring. Did she just come back home with a married man?

"Come on then, let's get going. Madie are you coming with us?" Chelsea asks. She knows the answer, but is hoping it's not true.

"Yea, she hasn't booked a hotel yet, so you can just take us to my place so she can get everything sorted out," Travis says frantically hoping she won't get the wrong impression. It wouldn't exactly be wrong, but he still wants Chelsea. He still loves Chelsea.

It's too late for that though, and Chelsea's heart hurts a little. She only nods in response and leads them to the car. Travis' Escalade waits for them in the lot already covered by a thin layer of snow as they settle inside. She drove to his house to pick it up before heading to the airport thinking he'd be happy to see it. Also all the nerves wouldn't allow her to sit and wait all morning so she had to find a way to kill some time. She's glad she didn't pick the Porsche.

"Compensating?" Madie jokes as she makes herself comfortable without realizing how rude the comment could come across. She can't help but notice the car smells like smoke, and it makes her wrinkle her nose. She's jealous. Chelsea is pretty. She seems wealthy. There's no way Madie can compete.

"No. It's Travis', and I'm sure you already know he's not," her words bite back as she looks at Madie's reflection in the mirror. They've fucked, and she knows it. It doesn't matter. Travis is an adult. Still, she won't let this woman get the best of her.

Travis gulps at the tension that's suddenly built up, and Chelsea wishes she had just driven her own car here. The trip is not long, and when they're in Travis' driveway Chelsea gladly turns the car off before handing him the keys.

Madelaine is the first to get out leaving the two alone for the first time in months.

"Chels," he starts, feeling guilty. He should've never been with Madelaine, and he sure as hell shouldn't have brought her home.

"No, it's fine. It's not like I thought you'd be alone this whole time. I just didn’t expect you to bring her here," she admits. They hadn't even gotten a chance to talk about the L word, and he's already moved on. She should've known better than to believe him, than to let it destroy everything.

"It's not like that, Chelsea. I can explain," Travis tries to argue. He pulls off his sunglasses and sets them on the dash with a sigh.

"I've heard that too many times in my life - I just didn’t think I'd be hearing it from you," she states before she gets out of the car and walks to her own. Travis is left in shock. Her words sting because he has always been the opposite of MGK, and her comparing them makes him have to vomit. He gets out of his Cadillac and walks toward the front door with his hands in the pockets of his trench.

"It was nice meeting you," Madie shouts as she watches the woman walk away.

"You too," Chelsea flashes her a smile that makes Travis weak in the knees when he looks her way. He gulps again as he watches the woman get in her car and drive off, leaving him all alone again.

"So that's what's in Baltimore," Madie quips from his side. He says nothing as he grabs his bag and turns to walk to his front door before unlocking it and regretfully letting her in.