Status: In Progress, finished by the end of the Month <3

Another NaNoWriMo Attempt

One.

"You know I don't love you." he said, looking down at her as she laid her head on his chest. All she could do was nod as his words assaulted her ears. She had known this all along, but hearing him say it now made her shudder against him.
"I do." was all she said before burying her face against him and sucking in his heavenly scent.


They'd come a long way from that day in their apartment couch, the day he told her he didn't love her. She chuckled idly as her maid of honor reminded her of the moment, and fixed the veil atop her best friend's head. "I remember you crying over him for years. Wondering if anything was going to come out of that... whatever it was.."
"I know." she responded with a smile. "Good thing I never listened to you telling me that he wasn't the one, eh?" That brought another bought of giggles from the girls. The wedding march began to play, and both women tensed up.

"You ready, hon?"
"Oh, so very ready.." she breathed sucking in a deep breath of air and walking towards the door. White and yellow flowers hung all around the room, and everyone gasped as she entered through the archway, holding onto her maid of honor for dear life, and grinning at the man who she was giving herself to in the most intimate of ways. He was going to be her husband before long, and she couldn't have been happier.

"Avalynn Jae Shaluha, it took me a long time to..." he paused a smiled, looking at her from under those eyelashes she'd always loved. "to realize that I loved you. But I do, I love you with all my heart. The years that have passed between us I wouldn't trade, or change for the world. I want to grow with you, I want our souls, minds, and bodies to grow together, and I want you to be by my side through anything and everything we may have to face; and I will stand by you. I promise to stand by you, and love you for everything that you are and will ever become. I will be yours for a million forevers, and you will live in my heart until the sun has set for it's last time"

Her breath caught on his words and she could feel tears building behind her eyes, she sniffled and little before squeezing his hand and returning the vows. "Erik Zachary Marks, I've loved you with all my heart since the day I first laid eyes on you. My heart beats for you, and I live for this love. I promise to always be the woman that you can count on, no matter how hard things get, or what kind of trials we go through as a couple. I promise to love you, endlessly and timelessly. I know that through whatever life may hold we will always come out stronger on the other side. I believe in us, in the truth of what we have and what we are. You are my soul mate, my love, my best friend... I love you." her eyes were wet with tears as she finished speaking.

The minister smiled at the couple, "And now, the rings.." he barely breathed breaking the stillness in the air. The rings were presented, round silver bands with the engraving of "A moment into forever" engraved in cursive writing on the inside. The bride and groom grasped the rings lightly and slid them onto the other's finger before embracing. That kiss was the most passionate, sweet kiss the couple had ever shared; their hearts bounded with joy as they broke apart and smiled at each other. "I love you" Erik whispered, hugging his new wife tight against him before they began to depart down the isle. They held hands as rice was thrown and as people hugged them and kissed their cheeks, they held tight to one another as if the world would end as soon as their hands separated.

"Ava!" she heard her mother call her name. "Ava, baby, you look so beautiful. I wish your father was here to see you.." she held her daughter's face in her hands and kissed her forehead.
"I love you, Mom." Ava smiled and hugged her mother tightly.

"Babe?" Erik whispered apologetically, "Our plane leaves in two hours.." Avalynn nodded and kissed her mother on the cheek once more before following her husband out to the car. They slid into the backseat and kissed softly, looking at the driver. "Airport." Erik said, softly before diverting his eyes back to his wife. The newlyweds were on cloud nine as they rode in silence to the airport, the hour in which they had together in the car felt like no more than a few moments. They were lost in bliss, lost in each other, in a romantic high that neither seemed to be coming down from any time soon.

!_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_!

The airport was humid, much too hot, and stuffy. Ava, standing in her wedding dress, felt out of place and silly as she sat in the chair waiting the ten minutes before the flight would begin boarding. She had other clothes in her carry-on which she had planned to change into but the feeling of being in her dress was something she didn't want to lose just yet. This was her big day, and even though the ceremony was over, it still felt as if she should be in her wedding dress. "Avly" Erik said with a smile, using her pet name that only he ever used, "shouldn't you be getting changed soon? I can't imagine flying to Easter Island in that will be any sort of pleasant." he chuckled softly and lifted his eyebrow at her. She smiled and sighed to herself, "I suppose you're right, Er." slowly, she began towards the bathroom to change in a stall. "I hope you realize," she turned to Erik slowly "it'd be much easier to change out here." teasingly she started to unzip the back of her dress in the lobby of the airport. Putting his hands on his hips, he laughed heartily. "Okay, you get arrested for public indecency. I'm going to see those monoliths, with or without you."

"Oh, screw you!" Avalynn narrowed her eyes and over dramatically stormed off the the bathroom, unzipping the dress as she went and glancing back at her husband with a twinkle in her dark green eyes.

The bathroom was even stuffier than the lobby, and the smell was wretched. Ava wrinkled her nose as she stripped quickly in the handicapped stall and slid into jeans and a tee shirt. The dress, once again zipped up into it's plastic protective bag, didn't seem as special anymore now that it wasn't adoring her thin frame. "I feel like a normal girl again." she breathed, a bit of disappointment in her voice as she wandered back to her husband, waiting in the lobby.

The plane was supposed to be boarding any moment, and Ava was excited, she wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed the side of his neck softly, reaching up onto her tip toes to do so. He pulled forward, and took in a deep breath, nodding slowly. "Uh-huh?" he said, pressing the phone that she had just noticed harder into his ear. His brow was furrowed, and he was chewing vigorously on his bottom lip. "Yea, I hear you, John..." he trailed off as a muffled buzz came from the other end of phone. John, Erik's boss, was yelling. "Calm down!" Erik called, obviously alarmed. "I'm sorry, sir, it's just that this is my honeymoon with Ava, I wasn't supposed to be back to work until Monday, and we had the weekend at Easter Island." More muffled buzzing, this time quieter passed through the receiver. Avalynn listened intently, trying to head what was going on, what was being said, but she couldn't make out any specific words. "Yes, sir, I understand. I'll be there." he hung up the phone, and hung his head, looking at Ava with saddened apologetic eyes.
"You have to work, don't you?" she breathed, drooping her own head to match his and glancing at him from under long lashes.
"Yes, baby.. I'm so sorry."
"I don't understand why work always comes first, Erik." she snipped softly, turning her head from his. This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives and fucking John Strickland was messing everything up for them.
"Ava, don't be like that, babe.." she turned her head from him as he went into to pull her close, and Erik sighed. "I don't like it any more than you do."
She ignored him, as she retorted: "I don't suppose you can even tell me where you're going either, or how long you're going to be gone, or even what the hell you're leaving for, can you?"
A sheepish smile spread across his face. "I can tell you that I shouldn't be gone for too long, and I'm not going too far, and there's just some..." he paused for a moment taking in a deep breath and trying to find the right words. "there's just some worry about some people. I need to check it out."

Avalynn crossed her arms across her chest and nodded. "Well, I'm not going to Easter without you, so you might as well see me home." She pouted at him and began walking toward the exit of the airport, Erik matching her pace and taking another deep breath. His wife wasn't going to like the next thing he said in the least, and he was sure of it. "I actually have a flight heading out from here in thirty minutes. We were going to have to take a cab home anyways..." he trailed off as Ava scoffed and rolled her eyes.
"Bye." was all she said before storming out of the airport and hailing herself a cab.

!_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_!

Arriving at home, she sighed and threw herself into bed. She'd been hoping for something from him, a text message, a phone call, but obviously he was busy with his job. She barely even got halfway to their new home when she started feeling guilty for the way she'd treated him, but the guilt transferred into embarrassment which had kept her from contacting him in any way."He's probably busy, anyways.." she breathed to herself. It the barely midday, but all she wanted to do now was sleep; her wedding day, although definitely still the happiest day of her life, had turned out to be a disappointment and Erik's sudden absence had left her emotionally drained. Laying in their bed, she pulled the covers up over her face and passed out in the clothing that she was wearing.

"Can I get you anything, my love?" Avalynn glanced to her left where she heard the voice and smiled, Erik was standing there in his swimming trunks and sand was beneath her feet. She could feel the heat warming her skin, and smell the salty spray of the ocean.
"Oh, just another kiss." she giggled, leaning in towards him and stealing a kiss from his soft lips. He smiled back at her and pulled her in for a long hug, and a more passionate kiss. They were alone on Aneka beach on Easter Island. The warm sand tickled her toes she she dug them into it and smiled. "This is amazing, babe."
"I know." he replied, nuzzling his face into her neck and kissing her softly. She giggled, cuddling against his toned chest and running her hands along his sides softly. He shuddered, and she laughed a little. They laid there on the beach, reveling in the seclusion and salty tropical air until Ava broke the silence, again.
"I don't want this to be a dream, Er." she knew it had to be for the memories of the airport were breaking through her subconscious.
"Enjoy it now." he smiled, hugging her into him, "we don't have to know it's a dream, unless you want us to."
"But, I do know." she sighed, kissing him softly and squeezing his shoulders. "Why did you have to go."
"You know I can't tell you that." he breathed into her hair, taking in her scent. "But, I wish I was there with you."
"You are, you're right here." she insisted, running her fingers across the skin on his upper back.
"Not for long." he said. The peace of their world was starting to crumbled as she heard a deep rumble beginning in the sand, it sounded as if birds were screaming out across the ocean and the sound made her cover her ears. Suddenly, she felt as if she was falling...


Avalynn awoke to a thud, as her body hit the floor, her alarm clock was screeching loudly above her on the nightstand and she rubbed her head, trying to shake the sleep from her eyes and rid herself of the headache she had. Her skin seemed warm, and she could still almost feel the grainy sand tickling between her toes, but consciousness had rushed her, taking her Erik and her fantasy away. She was alone in their bedroom, and he was somewhere unknown. She sighed to herself and stood, looking around at the empty room and turning the alarm off. Suddenly, she was enveloped in silence that felt cold and deafening.

She grabbed her phone off the nightstand and decided to make a call, to her love. She still hadn't heard from him. The phone rang, and rang, and rang but there was no answer. "Hi, this is Erik Marks and I'm off on my honeymoon with my lovely wife! Easter Island and her are monopolizing all my time, so I will get back to you Monday. Have a wonderful weekend." She frowned a little listening to his message, and then smiled as her dream passed through her head; the real thing would have been more amazing that she could ever imagine. His voice-mail beeped at her, indicating it was time to say her piece, "Erik? I'm sorry about the airport I was just angry. I know you're busy with work, but I love you. I can't wait to see you. Please get back to me as soon as you know when you'll be back here in my arms. Our bed is lonely without you." she hung up the phone and sighed, tossing it onto the bed and falling back into bed. This was going to be a long, lonely weekend.

!_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_!

"Get your ass out of bed!" Teena hollered into the darkness of the room. Ava barely stirred, looking over at her best friend and them flopping her head down on the mound of pillows next to her face.
"No. I'm spending the weekend in bed, like I should be."
Teena placed her hands on her hips and shook her head vigorously. "You're only supposed to be spending the weekend in bed if it's because you're too exhausted from all the great sex to get up, Ava. This..." he motioned around the room to the darkness, dirty clothes on the floor, and two boxes of chocolate that were laying in the bed next to Avalynn "is just sad. Look at yourself, you're pathetic. This isn't the first time he's had to leave on work, and I promise you it's not the last time. It's not like this was some surprise, honey." Ava sighed and rolled over, tossing the chocolates onto the floor and patting the bed next to her. Teena obliged, as she sat down she pulled her friends head into her lap and began playing with the long strands of thick dark hair. "I know you're sad, Avvy. But you can't be like this. I know it's supposed to be your honeymoon, and you're supposed to be off exploring the magnificent world, but sometimes life just gets in the way of that."
"I know." Avalynn felt like a child, and sighed "but I still haven't heard from him. It's been two days, you'd think he'd have gotten back to me by now."
"Maybe he's really busy."
"Maybe." The two girls sat in silence on the bed, Avalynn closing her eyes as Teena worked her fingers through her friend's hair.
"Everything's going to be alright, and we're going to have a girly day, sound good?" Ava smiled at Teena's words.
"Christeena," she retorted in an authoritative voice, "don't you have work today."
"Ah, nope. I have a best friend in need of some TLC, and you should know by now which comes first in my book!"

The day was filled with glorious events. The two girls went out and hit the town, window shopping at every high end boutique and laughing about the extravagant prices. There was no way in hell either of them could afford any of those things. The next endeavor was to get their hair, nails, and toes done at the family run beauty shop that sat in the middle of town.
"This is great!" Ava laughed at her friend, feeling completely revitalized. "Thank you for dragging me out of that house, I'm glad I have at least one friend who knows how I get."
"Of course, love." Teena winked and leaned her head back in the chair, she was getting her toenails painted pink with small green flowers on them, and almost to match, Ava was getting her toes pink with small yellow flowers; their finger nails were both already done, a sky blue color. "Oh, Avvy, we look like spring." grinning, Teena hopped out of the chair as soon as she was done and put her feet under the drying lights and smiled over at Avalynn who would be done in seconds. "So, why do you think you haven't heard from him?"
"I honestly don't know. Sometimes he gets really into his work and it's like..." she paused, trying to find words to explain what she meant. "it's like he gets in the zone and nothing can bring him out of it. I lose him almost completely when he's on these trips. Only thing that keeps me going is knowing that he'll be coming back."
"Yea." Teena nodded, "I'm sure he'll be back in no time."

The day went on that way, idly chatting about life, and bringing up Erik only minimally. They went to lunch, went to the movies and had a whole day of girl time before Teena admitted she'd better get home because she couldn't miss two days of work in a row. Avalynn smiled, thanked her for the wonderful day, and then retired back to her home. She tried to call Erik again, but his phone didn't ring. "The subscriber you're trying to reach is no longer available. Goodbye." The line went dead and Ava stared at the phone. "What the fuck is going on." she breathed before laying back in her bed.

The night was restless, she tossed and turned imagining all the horrors that could have befallen her husband. Nightmare after nightmare flashed through her mind's eye as she tried to sleep, tried to rest. She woke up screaming more than once, soaked in a thin film of cold sweat. "Something's wrong.." she mumbled to herself, somewhere between sleep and consciousness.

The scene was white. She could hear incoherent whispers and deep, heavy breathing that sounded like it was coming from everywhere. The walls were breathed, inhaling and exhaling around her. She was lost, somewhere between here, there, and nowhere. All she could do was move her eyes and take in her surroundings, she was stuck otherwise. Completely immobilized by, something. Her heart was pounding. She could hear ringing in her ears and the smell of blood and sweat and burning flesh was creeping into her nostrils, making her gag. She couldn't move to cover her nose and stop the assault on her senses. Someone was dying, someone was being tortured. As if to confirm her thoughts, she heard a blood curdling scream that chilled her to the bone; but she still couldn't move. Fear was beginning to seize her mind. In vain, she strained and pulled against the invisible restraints holding her still, she tried to scream, call for help but no sound would pass through her lips. It was as if she were dead, as if she were nothing. That's when she saw him, Erik was standing before her in a white lab coat that was stained with someone's blood. He looked older, and tired; scruff was beginning to make his light skin look darker, his eyes were mildly crazed, and the tame waves that usually ran through his hair were disheveled and unkempt. Stress was apparent in his face, and the dark heavy bags under his eyes showed an exhaustion she'd never seen in him before.
"What the hell are we going to do?!" He exclaimed, turning around to look at John Strickland who had just entered the room, looking like he'd been through even more hell than Erik.
"I don't know, Erik." he breathed, shedding his bloody coat and wiping the spatter off his face. "I don't fucking know. I mean, this is..." he took in a deep breath and clenched his fists. "this isn't anything we planned for. They're dying faster than we can cure them, faster than we can even figure out what's wrong."
Erik coughed, and blood came out on his glove. His eyes filled with horror as he looked up at John, seeing his bosses eyes harden. "Have you not been wearing your mask in the room, Erik?" the tone was cold, calculating, and the man reaching into the waistband of his jeans for something that she couldn't see, couldn't quite make out.
"Oh, John, please!" Erik pleaded, his eyes filled with terror. "Think about Ava!"
"I am." John whipped a gun out from behind his back and shot, the bang echoed through Ava's head and made her gasp for air, she screamed, and this time sound erupted from her lungs.


Her eyes were wide and crazed, she was screaming and writhing under the covers. "Erik! Erik! No!" she yelled into the black abyss of the night. Her breath was coming in short, sharp gasps and she realized she could once again move. This hadn't felt like a dream, she could feel the strain on her muscles from trying to move against some unknown force holding her. She could feel the tension, and she could still hear that gunshot ringing in her ears. She knew that what she had just seen was not something of nightmares. Somehow, she knew that her husband was dead.