Things Renji Doesn't Know About

Paperwork Isn't For Paper Planes

Renji sat at his desk, making paper airplanes out of his paperwork. The floor was littered with his failed attempt. If he couldn't poke a straw into a juice box, then how did he think he could build a paper airplane? It was truly miserable to see a fukutaichou doing something that was usually reserved for young boys. However, he thought that this latest one might work. So without a second thought, he let it loose.

And managed to hit Byakuya in the nose. The Kuchiki picked up the small, offensive piece of paper that had hit him in the nose, and gave it a look that had made quite a few Shinigami wither. Then, he closed the door. "Abarai fukutaichou, whenever I am late due to my duties to my clan, I expect to come in and see you training, doing errands for the squad, or paperwork. What I do not want to see, is your wasting of time and inefficiency, making these miserably misshapen paper birds out of your paperwork!"

"Sorry Taichou, I can explain it all, I swear!"

"Silence yourself, Abarai, and clean up this mess that you've made. After you have finished that, then you may resume your paperwork. Without turning it into failed birds, might I add." Byakuya said, storming across the office, somehow with grace, and managed to step on several of Renji's paper airplanes in the process. When he got to his desk, he gave a sigh, and brushed more failed planes off of his chair, desk, and his own stack of paperwork.

"Make sure that you get all of them. I don't want to see a single bird in this office by the end of the day. I also expect you to get those pages at least moderately straightened out so that they do not look like you sent them to the 11th division. I will not be compared to those buffoons. Am I understood?"

Cringing slightly from his captain's long rant, the only thing Renji could say was, "Yes taichou, I understand."

"Good. Now get to work."

By the end of the day, Renji figured he must have picked up at least 100 failed planes. And the one perfect one that had managed to his Byakuya in the nose. So after straightening them out, and actually doing the work on them, then attacking the stack which had not been made into failed planes, he was tired. Some part of him regretted ever transferring from the 11th. They never seemed to have any paperwork over there. Understandably so, because it usually got shredded, covered in blood, sake, and other liquids, and by the time they were done with it, Soutaichou Yamamoto didn't even want those things in his division, let alone on his desk, or forbid it, in his hand.

Renji still had several papers to deal with. On the other side of the office, he heard Byakuya getting ready to go home. Even though the Noble was not loud, the slight noises gave him away. However, after about half an hour and he still did not hear anyone leave the office, he looked up. Byakuya was standing there, watching him. "Taichou?"

"Finish your paperwork, Abarai.. I will stand here until you are finished."

In his head, Renji was thinking up curse words left right and center. When he ran out of offensive words, he just invented a few more to go along with it. Why shouldn't he? His captain was planning to stand there until he was complete, which meant that the two of them just might be there all night. He heard his captain give a sigh. It seemed as though the other man could tell what the pineapple was thinking. "If you hadn't made birds out of your paperwork, we wouldn't be in this situation."

Thinking of the best way to say this without getting Senbonzakura loosed on him, he said, "Taichou, you can go home. I mean, you don't have to stay here and watch me finish paperwork, cause you've probably got more important things to do. I-i'm just wasting your time." at the end, he braced himself for the harsh words, for the attack. But none came. Instead, when the Kuchiki heir spoke again, he sounded more tired than anything else. "While you may be wasting my time, you also need discipline, which is what I am here to provide. How do I know that the moment that I leave this room, you will not make more miserable birds out of your work?"

Renji sighed. His captain did have a point. The office was then silent, save for the scratching of his pen against the paper. Nearly half an hour later, he was finally finished. An hour plus after the working day had ended. Nice one. In his mind, the red-head berated himself for making such a mess today.

"You are finally finished. I was starting to wonder whether or not I would need to sleep here for the night. Come, let's go home."

so without further ado, the pineapple followed the Noble back to the manor, grumpy as hell. When they got there, however, Renji was surprised when Byakuya went straight to his room, taking the red-head with him. The lieutenant gulped slightly as he heard the lock clicking shut behind him. "Your behavior today has severely disappointed me. Should anyone besides me have walked in, things could have turned out much worse than they did today." the Noble said, keeping his back to the other man as he removed his gloves. His scarf followed next, then his kenseiken.

Since he decided to wait until he got home, Renji decided that he wasn't that pissed. In fact, he may have even found it amusing, aside from the part where he got jabbed in the nose by a plane. So he gathered his courage, and stepped forward, wrapping his arms around his lover's waist from behind. Byakuya paused in untying his obi, and asked, "What do you think you are doing?"

"I wanna apologize." Renji said, as he nuzzled the Noble's shoulder. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Too busy taking care of my paperwork and the mess at work. You didn't really give me a chance to talk on the way home, so I figured now would be a perfect time." Renji said softly, as he pressed a gently kiss against the skin exposed when the Kuchiki had removed his scarf. Byakuya put one of his hands over the arms wrapped around him, but made no move to get away from the touches coming from his lover.

"What makes you so certain this is a perfect time?"

"Because. You didn't try to kill me yet, so I take it as a good sign."

At this, the Noble chuckled softly, leaning back into the red-head, before he asked, "Renji? What am I going to do with you?"

"I don't know. But you can start by kissing me." Renji said hopefully. "Alright." Byakuya said, turning around and catching the other man's lips in a kiss.