Status: Completed, but may be continued. Unsure at this point.

Insecurity Will Destroy You

000

They're out there, waiting for us. It sounds like a full house tonight. I can hear them loud and clear, all the way from backstage. They’re pumped up and high on adrenaline, chanting our name:

“HEAR-THE-SOUND. HEAR-THE-SOUND. HEAR-THE-SOUND.”

They repeat it over and over to a steady, paced beat. They came here for our concert, but when they do this, I sometimes think it’s like they’re the ones performing.

Someone taps me on the shoulder and tells me we have the green light. It’s time to start the show.

The lights around the stage dim. The chants turn into excited screams as they do. The signal is given to go. I grab my guitar and pull the strap over my head. I’m first to step out, with Paulie’s right behind me. Colby and Oscar are right behind him.

I plug my guitar in, then I step up to the mic. As I do, some of the lights come back on. They’re angled just right that I can’t see the faces of the people below. But I can tell excited they are as they stand there waiting, just from what I hear. The louder they are, the more excited. And man they are loud tonight!

“Hello, Chicago!” I shout. They all scream. And I thought it was loud before. Ha!

“I hope you’re having a good time so far tonight. But if not, you will soon.”

They start screaming again.

“I hope.”

They laugh.

“You ready?” I ask the audience.

They all scream back, some shouting “YES!” as well. I turn and nod to the guys, signaling to start.

Oscar gets a beat going on the drums. I pick it up on guitar. Paulie & Colby soon join us.
After we get the beat going, I start singing:


“Well look at you
Look at you now
You've got it made
You got everything
You wouldn't trade it for anything
But your trying to
Forget is what will be
Your undoing
Remember it's not everyone
Your fooling”

As the song changes feeling, so do I. I feel free, like I always do when I’m on stage. I’m freed from everything in my life. My mind is simple, calm. It’s just me and the music.

I wish I could stay like that forever.


“It's not only me
Who can see
The lies you've been living
It's only a matter of
Time now
Before you get tangled
In them
And you can't get free”

We pause before the chorus, then slam into it.

"You gotta remember looks
Can only stretch so far
You can’t always keep them
From showing through
Your true form
People's minds are something
You can't reform

Yeah looks get old
Then lies can't be sold
At all
So walk on
Standing tall
And remember
Your charisma is what made you
But your insecurity will destroy you”

Every time I think of this song, and every time I sing it now, I think about the person I wrote it for. It's funny, really, how out of all our songs, no one ever asks what the song's about. It's seems pretty clear cut. And, truthfully, it is.

But sometimes, I wonder what they'd say if they knew
who it's about.

If they knew it was about me.
♠ ♠ ♠
©storystereo