‹ Prequel: Soulmate

Forget Me Not

Hours

Harry fell back onto the bed and sighed. He was at Sirius’s house, had been for a while now having been brought here by a few members of the Order. It was nice here, he enjoyed begin around these people a lot more than being with the Dursley’s anyway. But he couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing. The adults all watched Ron, Hermione and him; they watched them and acted like they were missing an arm or something. When he asked Mr. Weasley about it he just kind of shrugged and changed the subject like he couldn’t talk about it.

“Ron” Harry spoke up, rolling over to see if he was still awake.

“yeah?” he asked pealing open one eye.

“what are they hiding from us?” he asked.

He frowned and sat up. “what do you mean? They told you everything about the Order”

Harry shook his head, “not that. It’s something else that they aren’t saying”

“I'm sure you’re just making it up in your head, mate” he said lying back down. “honestly I haven’t noticed anything. But hey, Happy birthday, Harry”

He nodded slowly, “yeah, thanks.” His birthday, he was now fifteen and Hogwarts was only just around the corner. Her remembered last year how everything had changed since then how that girl- he stopped, no he couldn’t keep going there. He made a promise to her that they would start over; he wouldn’t just see her as another death eater slytherin girl that hangs around Malfoy. Because she wasn’t, she’d proven time and time again that she wasn’t a death eater, that she wasn’t like Malfoy.

“Raven” he whispered rolling over on his bed to face the wall. There was just something about her that he didn’t trust. And the last time he saw her…

What happened the last time he saw her? She wasn’t making any sense, all she told him was that dobby brought her to him and she didn’t know who told him to do so. It was all very confusing until her mother showed up. After that it felt like the world was covered in ice. Her mother almost had the sense of a dementor as she drew closer to Emily. She was always after Emily; he knew that she was no threat to him, but to her own daughter…

“don’t waist words on a boy who lies”

He remembered that very well, the way it flowed off her tongue with such anger and hate. The was Emily looked at her mother with such shock, like she didn’t understand what she was saying. And then she tossed him that little folded piece of paper. He remembered catching it and then ducking from the incinerator spell her mother had cast. And then they were gone, Emily and her mother disappeared into the dark starry night and all he had to prove the weird encounter had happened was that little piece of paper in his hands.

He pulled it out from under his pillow and turned it over in his hands. It was note book paper, folded into a little square and scribbled on both sides was one sentence,

Do not read until august 1st

He checked his watch. 11:48. Not August 1st. this was stupid! Why was he waiting? He didn’t owe her anything! Why was he even bothering to read the stupid note? He got up and tossed it into the bin near the door before lying back down and taking off his glasses for bed. He didn’t need it, didn’t need her!

He laid there a while before groaning and sitting up. Replacing the glasses on his face he reached for the bin and pulled out the note again. “Do not read until august 1st” he muttered looking at his watch again. 11:58, two minutes left.

Looking over he saw Ron laying one his bed, his mouth curved into a small smirk. “I knew you wouldn’t toss it” he chuckled with his eyes closed.

“shut up” Harry growled. “what do you think it is?”

Ron shrugged, turning his head to look at him. “Dunno” he smiled. “You’ll find out in a minute, won’t you?”

“suppose” harry sighed. “what are you so smug about anyway?”

Ron just laughed turning his head again and putting his arm over his eyes. “You’re clueless, mate” Harry was about to demand what Ron meant by that but his watch caught his eye, 12:01. August 1st, time to read the note. He looked at the folded bit of paper with the careful writing now gleaming almost gold. The letters moved and disappeared until a new sentence was a gleaming gold, shining up at him.

Burns in seven

“Burns in seven? Seven what?” he frowned looking up at Ron for some insight but instead all he saw was a sleeping teenager in no condition to help. He looks back at the note, its golden letters gleaming up at him. He starts to unfold it but stops. I'm done with her mind games, he thinks setting the note on his night stand. He lay back on his bed, pulling off his glasses and setting them beside the note before falling quickly to sleep.

When he woke up it was to Hermione shaking him and yelling at Ron about getting breakfast before they went to diagon alley. He groaned and rolled over to grab his glasses but his fingers felt something odd. Finding his glasses and putting them quickly onto his face and winced when he saw that his suspicion was right.

His night stand was covered in ashes.