Status: Hopefully be updated daily

House of Raven

One: Devin's Wish

The night felt colder than usual. My best friend, Cyprian, sat on the bed of this room as I sat on the window sill. My thoughts were scattered and I could see my warm breath stain the ice window. The night was dark and light snow fell upon this old home, filled with darkness. Cyprian stared at me with blue silver eyes and bit into a red apple. "Devin is very ill, Des." His words were spoken softly after chewing. His voice was soft and almost a whisper, I liked it when he spoke though. He was my favorite in this house. The only one I can trust.

"I know, old friend."

"You know it is either you or his daughter Violeta to take over."

"Your point?"

"Why not marry her?" Cyprian smirked, his pearl white fangs glowed with the moon's light. I walked up to him, grabbing his short wavy gold hair and pulled it, making him look up at me.

"I will not marry the girl, if she came in here and begged for it."

"Harsh words, good sir." Cyprian chuckled. I released my grip on his hair and stood by the window again.

There was no way I would marry Violeta, nor do I want to become leader to this house. The beasts are already out of control, why have me be their keeper? I saw no point, and would much rather stay out of our clan's politics. Cyprian would be a better leader than I, however, he is more like a servant than a leader.

Then one of Devin's men came in, asking me to follow him. I entered Devin's room and the door was shut behind me. Some Elders from other clans were surrounding Devin's bed, along with his daughter Violeta. She had purple eyes and her hair was long with some shine of blue. She was a pretty woman, but not my type of woman. Her purple eyes met mine and she stared for a moment. I stood on the opposite side of the bed and looked down at Devin. He was young, yet sick looking. His face showed weakness and I felt only pity for him.

His dark brown hair was knotted and sweat drenched his face. His once green eyes were now a dark gray and his lips craved for something to drink. He opened his eyes and inhaled deeply. "I...I must step down as leader and Elder of the Raven Clan."

"Who will take your place?" One Elder asked.

"The ceremony must be done quickly. I suggest choosing now." Another stated.

Devin grabbed my hand as he did his daughter's. "I choose between...Desmond, who I raised when he came to us as a new born and my own daughter. I love both very much, but my choice...is for what is best for the house." I looked at Violeta, hoping Devin would say her name. She would make an excellent leader, and I would be happy to serve her.

"I had chosen Desmond as my replacement." I froze, removing my hand from his grasp. Me? No, I didn't want this. I didn't want to become an Elder. A new leader must be trained and have the right blood. Most of the time, it is a family member. This isn't right!

"Father?"

"Violeta...please forgive this old man. I love you, my dear. And I hoped that with me gone, you could be loyal to Desmond as his second."

Violeta looked at me and then at the five Elders that surrounded us. She sighed and stood to her feet, "I will serve Desmond as I served my father. The ceremony is to begin immediately." The Elders agreed and left the room. It was just me, Violeta, and Devin. They were my true family, always, but this was a bad idea. I could never be leader.

"I hope father's choice is one you will honor, Desmond."

"You deserved it more than I."

"That may be true, but there is nothing I can do now."

"Stop..My children, please. I am dying. My mind is made up and I am trusting you, Desmond, to take care of the house. Many have feared the moment of my death for many long years...I am ready to end this eternity of sickness."

"So pass that sickness to me, eh?"

"You are not of my blood, child. I know you will live for a very long time. Many generations will serve under you, like a God."

"Your daughter deserved to be leader, Devin, do not use me as an excuse for not loving your own blood." With that comment, I left. I could not face him anymore. When I entered my room, Cyprian held up a long black coat and stared at me.

"I have orders to dress you for the ceremony."

Our eyes locked and then, I gave in, spreading out my arms. His hands traced my arms and removed my shirt and tie. He chuckled and slid the coat on me. "I'm honored that you are going to be our leader." We left the bedroom and met the Elders downstairs where everyone stood ready for the ceremony. Goodbye to my old life. Thanks, Devin...
♠ ♠ ♠
Short and not much detail. Sorry, new idea and a new story. Hopefully it will turn out better. Comment and subscribe if you wish. Thank you for reading.