From Where You Are

It's Midnight and I'm Sideways

The next day was spent with Nicole being too contemplative for her own good. She had stared her computer down for almost two hours that morning before finally clicking the 'yes' button on the airline's website, confirming her purchase of a one-way ticket to Boston Logan Airport.

For two hours after that she had sat on her couch, staring out the large bay window and trying to remember the sight. She would miss London, yes, but not as much as she missed her home. There was no point in her staying since she wasn't with Louis anymore.

The sky was a dull gray and clouds were looming in the distance, but it didn't stop Nicole from grabbing her jacket and slipping her phone into her pocket. It was off, and it had been since last night, but it wouldn't hurt to have it on her when she got the guts to call her boss and quit.

Nicole slipped out the entrance of her apartment unnoticed. The streets were quiet as she walked, the breeze starting to pick up. She braided her hair to the side as she walked, entering the park across from the apartment building.

The fields were a vibrant green even though winter was fast approaching. She walked across the soccer field, feeling a pang in her heart. That was where she had first met Louis.

Nicole had been on a vacation with her parents. They were doing a little tour of London but Nicole had wanted to stop in the park. It was the summer before her first year of college.

Nicole wandered the park alone that day, smiling at all the beautiful sights. She couldn't believe she was in London. It had always been a dream of hers. A group of boys was playing soccer on the field so she walked around them, not wanting to disturb their game.

"Watch it!" one of them screeched.

Nicole turned, assuming they were talking to her, and was met with a black and white ball whizzing towards her face. She let out a little squeak as a body plowed into her and knocked her onto the ground. The ball flew over their heads.

"Um.." Nicole started, but was cut off with laughter.

"'M so sorry love. Didn't want you to get hurt, but I s'pose I did more harm knocking you over," the boy said, sitting up.

"It's alright."

Nicole smiled, patting down her hair as she looked curiously at the brunette in front of her. His cheeks were tinted red from exertion and a happy smile was stretched across his face, brown tousled locks falling into his eyes. His bright blue eyes met hers and she accepted his hand.

The boy pulled her up. "I'm Louis by the way. You're not from around here, are you?"

His eyes were twinkling, signalling that he already knew the answer to that, but Nicole humored him just the same, replying with a quiet yes and her name.

Louis picked up the soccer ball from where it had fallen, twirling it around in his hands. His friends shouted at him, but Louis just held up a hand.

"I have to get back to my game now, but I'll see you around Cole."

With a dazzling smile that left Nicole confused, Louis turned around and ran back to his friends, kicking the soccer ball at one of them.


Nicole frowned, her eyes stinging as she held back tears. It hadn't been long after that that Louis had found her again, this time in a grocery store across from her hotel.

Their relationship blossomed quickly. They fall in love hard and fast, shocking both of their friends and families. It was no surprise to Nicole's parents that she moved across the pond to get an apartment and job near Louis. They were inseparable ever since. Although they didn't live together that didn't stop them from being constantly attached to each other's hip.

Nicole stopped in the middle of the field, trying not to relive the happiness she had felt with Louis. It was over, so it didn't matter anymore. There was going to be someone back home waiting for her, she just had to get there first.

She turned suddenly, jogging away from the field. It was impossible for her to even try to hold back her emotions for any longer. Instead, Nicole found herself wandering around the city. She stopped in all her favorite little places, picking up little trinkets to take home to her family and trying to remember each place exactly so that she wouldn't forget how wonderful London was.

When she finally returned back to her apartment it was already ten at night. Nicole pulled out the suitcase buried in the very back of her closet. She unzipped it and immediately placed her little bag of gifts into the bottom, securing the pieces tightly.

Her closet was soon emptied neatly into her suitcase and she was pulling out another suitcase and filling it with the contents of her dresser. She turned on some loud, angry music and packed all of her belongings.

Nicole finished around midnight. Just as she was about to collapse on the couch, her phone began buzzing.

Where are those files! I need them faxed immediately!!

Nicole let out a garbled laugh. If anyone heard her they would probably think she was insane.

I quit :) she texted back, setting the phone on the coffee table.

A sense of relief rushed over her body and she settled down into the couch, feeling utter relaxation pass through her body. Her eyes drifted closed moments later.

-x-

Louis was dead inside. The other boys had walked in on his sobbing into Harry's shoulder and forced him to talk about it, but it just made him feel worse. He felt like a failure. He couldn't even keep a relationship for more than a year.

All day he had stayed in the hotel room, only moving from the bed to get food from room service and use the bathroom. He hadn't even showered. His fingers were constantly clutching the little box that was hiding in his pocket. He refused to take it out, knowing that if he did then it would truly be the end.

"Louis? Can I come in?" Zayn's voice startled Lou, and he sat up straight immediately, fixing the duvet cover that was wrapped around his pajama-clad body.

Louis didn't reply, but Zayn came in anyways. He took a seat next to the heartbroken boy, wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

"Don't be miserable Louis. There's nothing you could have done," Zayn said softly, rubbing Louis' back comfortingly.

"But there is Zayn! I could have said no to some of those events, called out sick, anything just to stay home and spend more time with her. But no...I didn't. This is what I get for taking Nicole for granted," Louis sniffled.

Zayn met his friend's eyes and was instantly saddened. It was awful to see someone so close, so hurt.

"Louis, she was homesick. You couldn't have changed that. She would 'ave gone anyways, it was just a matter of time."

"I could have stopped her. She wouldn't have left if I was there..."

Zayn sighed. "Well then you need to fight for her. You love her mate, so get her back. Don't let her slip away."

Something sparked inside Louis' heart then and he shot up from his position, the little box in his fingers slipping down into his pocket.

With a fire burning in his heart, Louis grabbed a sweatshirt, tossing it over his head and running out the door, yelling, "I will!"

Louis ran out of the hotel and grabbed a cab, almost shouting at the driver to bring him to the airport. He was bouncing in his seat, box clutched tightly in his pocketed hand. He all but threw his money at the cab driver before he bolted out of the car, sprinting through the airport's doors.

Ten minutes later he had booked a flight back home. Louis couldn't relax though. It was a twenty hour flight back and all he could hope was that Nicole hadn't left yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
c:
Thank you for the comment selfish machine! <33