Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

Death

Alina died four days later.
Viktoria was with Anna when her family got the call that night. Literally for the first five days she was home the whole family stayed glued to the phone. They were waiting for the final call any second.
They spent as much time as they could with Alina. The problem was, it was no environment to put a five year old in. Nikkitta didn’t quite understand death and she didn’t know why her mom was so sick for so long. It was hard for all of them. More specificially, Anna.

Evgeny came up to see Anna two days after her mother died. Adnan was arranging the funeral and he was one of the guests. He wanted to see how Anna was doing and if he had any plans of returning after the funeral. Viktoria stayed with Anna throughout the whole thing. She didn’t want to leave her.
“Anechka” Evgeny started. He hugged her first and waited a second before saying something. “I don’t know what to say” Anna shrugged. “I was an adult when my mom died I got plenty of years from her…” he said.
“I want to retire” she said.
“Do you?”
“I can’t do it” Anna said. “I can’t continue on competing…for what reason? My mom motivated e and was the one that got me into it. I can’t compete without her” Evgeny nodded.
“It’s your decision. Hopefully you’ve made a good one” Evgeny held her in his arms. “If you need anything I will be here. If you want to talk, I’ll be there” he said. “I will always be your coach. I took you to Rio…I will take you farther” she smiled.
“Thanks”

Five days later they had the funeral. Viktoria took a leave from gymnastics to be by Anna’s side for every step of the way. Anna also invited Maria. Together, Viktoria and Maria held Anna together. She needed to be strong for Nikkitta.
The funeral was beautiful, though. Anna couldn’t bring herself to say anything. So Mikhail said eveything Anna would have said.
“She was inspirational” Mikhail said. “She came from a pretty poor background with plenty of siblings and not enough food to go around. She couldn’t achieve our dreams. While we were growing up she really pushed us to go for ours. When Anna wanted to go to the olympics she really pushed her and even moved away from her own husband to get Anna proper coaching here in Russia. When I wanted to play football but was too afraid of it, my mom told me about all the positives. Maybe one day I could play professional. I could do what I loved to do. Now I’m getting offers to play college football in America” he said. “…my mom brought six beautiful children into the world. Even though she passed, I want to make sure I pass down her lessons to little Nikkitta” Mikhail couldn’t bring himself to say anymore, he was tearing up. He stepped off the podium and took his seat next to Anna. Anna hugged him.
….
After the funeral, Adnan moved home permenantly, running his business at home. Anna moved out of the Russian trainng center and made her retirement official. She moved home and planned to help her dad take care of her siblings. She didn’t know what to do.
She had original plans of going to college but its being thrown out the window. She couldn’t abandon her father and siblings for school, could she?
“Anechka Nikolayevna” Adnan said. “I never thought I would have to say this…especially to you…but you are more stubborn than your mother” she sighed. “We have the money. I want you and Mikhail to start school soon” he said. “You guys deserve it. Your mother really wanted you to get proper educations”
“But dad”
“No ‘but dad’” Adnan said. “Start applying, cause come fall of next year you are going!” he said. “We can’t let such beautiful minds go to waste”