Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

61

On the first day of training for Anna. She walked down the halls of the dorms and saw Viktoria on her way out with all her bags. “Whoa, Viktoria!” she ran down the hall and hugged her. “Where are you going?” Viktoria pointed to her knee.
“I’m leaving”
“Going where?”
“Retiring, Anna”
“No!” Viktoria shook her head. “It’s just a tear you can work through it”
“Anna, I cannot physically train through this it’s a major injury”
“NO VIKA, we always did this together. Who’s going to be there for me now?”
“You still have me, I just won’t be here anymore” she said.
“But…”
“Just let me go, Anna” A tear ran down Anna’s face. Even though she’s almost 22 years old she still has a baby face.

Anna’s goal is to get beam back before worlds. Russia still suffers a lot with beam scores in the 12’s. Evgeny wanted to get her back on floor and vault too, but beam was the first target.
Aliya was training beam too along with bars. The Russian’s were always good on bars, but they could benefit from a higher bars score.
Maria had stayed at Lake Krugloe this whole time and was now back in training the all-around. With Viktoria gone they lost a vaulter and a bar worker.
They had a lot of ground to make up for.

After Anna’s first week in Russia again, a lot of the old veterans decided to go party. Not a lot of them were left, just Pavel, Denis, David and Igor. Emin and Aleksandr retired years ago. Along with Aliya and Anna they went off campus to hang out.
They went to the same club where everyone first discovered Anna was cutting herself. She didn’t know why David picked that club. Was he teaching some kind of lesson?
Anna walked into the club and everything felt the same as it was four years ago. Aliya clutched Anna’s arm and stayed close to her. They took a booth and just sat down. Anna looked around the room and everything felt identical to the night four years ago. David brought her there for a reason, she didn’t know why yet.

A few months later and Anna was looking up at her ceiling. Her 22nd birthday had passed and she was struggling to get skills back to make it to worlds. The team would be picked in less then two months.
She thought about the club they went to earlier that year, when she came back to the training center. Suddenly it all made sense. David brought her back to that same club to make Anna aware of the struggles she had before Rio. The struggles defined her road to the olympics, and it really made winning those two gold medals worth it. That’s what David wants her to remember, that a litlte struggle never hurt anyone. A quote used by many Russian’s at this point.
Anna smiled to herself. David was one brilliant bastard.