Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

Scam Cup 2020

After worlds Anna went back to work. She didn’t have time to take a week off, she had so much work to do. Although the silver on beam was nice, the Russian’s needed a good floor worker and they needed another vaulter. In the end Anna just decided to do the all-around again. She had no aspirations of doing the all-around competition at Paris, just for the team. Aliya was doing the same, but she’s not training floor.
They were making a lot of progress and by the end of the year the people behind the World Cup had asked the Russians to send two gymnast. At first the Rodinenko’s wanted to send two newer gymnasts who were juniors turning seniors the year of the olympics, for some experience. But Anna and Maria thought that was stupid. The ‘Scam Cup’, as they called it, just lowered the self esteem of non-American’s, so why not send to girls who have done the competition and need the practice? Anna especially. Like I said above, she didn’t want to do the all-around competiton but she wanted to compete again.
In preperation to the Scam Cup she worked a lot. She perfected the little things the new code was asking for. Like elegance and balletic qualities. In the new code, she would have won the all-around in Rio by more of a lead then she did.
She upgraded her routines by a lot. She had a double twisting yurchenko, a 5.5 bar routine, a 6.0 beam routine and a 5.8 floor routine. According to the new code she would STILL have won the all-around. So she liked this new status.
At the American Cup Anna did not want to just compete just to compete, her views had changed since she was first invited. In four months she now wanted to WIN the American Cup. Hey, it was worth a shot.
Since so much time has past, she didn’t know who she was competing with. It was a good thing. Back in 2013 she wanted to win the Scam Cup for Vika and Aliya who lost the London all-around to Gabby. And in 2013 worlds she wanted to beat Jordyn to get revenge for Vika at the 2011 worlds. Now she was so much older than everyone else.
She went into the competition thinking about 2017. She never, EVER wanted to do this competiton again after winning five years in a row. Why was she doing it again? She thought about it for a bit. David had a lesson for her. So maybe there was a lesson in her own decision. The 2013 world cup was her first senior competition and even though it was a joke she continued doing it…why? Was it the principal of it all? It was one of the things that defined her early career. I guess it was like she was starting over. In 2017 she was coming back from a big holiday after Rio, she used it to test herself. Now she was coming back after a year of holiday to test herself again. Even though she hated it, the Scam Cup was one of her most memorable competions.
She was the overwhelming favorite to win. She never really cared about who people thought/wanted to win a competion.
She was wearing an old leo from…guess…2012. Eight years had passed since she first got it. She watched Vika and Aliya wear it in the all-around in London. She loved it because it was so pretty and classic. She wore it to her first American Cup, and now she would wear it to her last one.
Anna won…obviously. She won by over five tenths about the eventual second place finisher from America. It was lovely to see that she could be out of commision for a year and take on a 15 year old American and beat her. Of course her work was not done. The year of the Paris Olympics had just begun.
..
After the competion a lot of people had come to say hi to her. McKayla Maroney was one of the firsts. They had a lot of fun during their competions together. They both loved to dance so of course they went to a club that night and danced their little worries away.
Jordyn Wieber and Gabby Douglas were there too, but they didn’t stay to talk to her for long. I guess they were butt hurt after all those titles Anna took over them.
Nastia Liukin was there doing whatever she did. She claimed to be one of the biggest American gymnasts of all time and called Anna the biggest Russian gymnast of all time. Well of course Anna was the biggest thing to ever happen. ‘Zabrikova’ had practically become a household nam in 2016. Nastia talked to Anna about all the things she was doing. Nastia made her own life seem like a big fairytale. She talked about all the things she did after winning the all-around back in 2008 and asked Anna about all the things she did. Really all Anna did was go on a big tour of the world with Tom and then went straight back to training. She didn’t spend much time doing publicity stuff, interviews and big tours. She liked just keeping it real. Like she’s said before, winning gold was HER dream not her COUNTRY’s dream. She didn’t owe anyone anything, if they were fans, that’s lovely.
Tom also met up with her, on the day she was supposed to leave. He didn’t mean any harm. He was in the U.S on holiday and she was there so he decided to see her compete. He was nervous though. She really did break her heart and he understood why she had to. She didn’t want to seem like a lost puppy or anything. The conversation was kept short, and he even got a kiss on the cheek. He just needed to say goodbye to her in person.