Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

Queen of the World

On the morning of the all-around it was raining. It was not the best way to start the day but they rolled with it. Anna and Olga were both excited for the day. By lunch time they would know who was the 2020 all-around Olympic champion.
Anna was more relaxed this time around than in Rio. Mostly because she didn’t have that much pressure on her. Leading into Rio she was miles ahead of everyone and the best thing to come out of Russian…even European gymnastics. She was the best thing the world had seen since Khorkina.
This time around she was on the same level as all the other competitors. She had a chance to win it all, but one little mistake could also take it away from her. She wasn’t expecting much. A silver or a bronze medal would be nice, she would even be okay with a fourth place finish. As long as she did her best.
Olga and Anna started on vault with the other girls in the top 8. Everyone in their rotation had a double-twisting yurchenko expect for Olga who had upgraded to an amanar. Olga easily took the lead like Anna did four years ago. Anna placed 3rd after the first rotation
Moving to bars both Olga and Anna struggled. Bars is typically a good event for Russia but not these particular Russian gymnasts. Olga missed several handstands and was pushed down to 5th before Anna went. Anna missed one connection and had a deep squat on the landing and laced 7th after the second rotation. She was not worried, though.
They moved to beam where both Russian could pick up extra tenths. Olga moved herself up to 4th after that rotation while Anna moved herself to 2nd. After that rotation everyone pretty much knew who was going to win. Everyone had their bets on the young American holding the lead. Unfortunately she didn’t have a strong floor.
Anna moved to floor, she needed a 14 even to secure her silver medal, a 13.5 to secure any medal, a score over 15 to win it all. Anna didn’t think much of it. She just wanted a medal.
So when she came off the podium and saw the judges gave her a 15.050 score she was completely shocked that she had won the title for the second time in a row. She actually started crying in Evgeny’s arms, she was so emotionally all over the place. She wasn’t expecting anything. If anything she felt bad for the poor American who was stuck with second after Anna tore the field apart.
After the competion David was there to greet Anna. He was probably the happiest out of everyone. It’s unheard of to win an olympic all-around two times…let alone two times in a row. They were all celebrating, tossing Anna up in the air, singing songs. It was a great day for the motherland.