Status: For Nano Wrimo, finished November 28, 2012 at 51,214 words

The New Queen

Coach

Up until London Anna didn't take anything seriously. She knew she had the talent to be an olympian one day but she really didn't want to stress herself out over it.
So After London she started to get serious. She had four years before Rio and she needed to use every moment to her advantage.
Because of her unlucky year of birth she would become a senior the year AFTER the olympics. She didn't really care, she had so much time to get experience.
Anastasia Grishina didn't have any besides Europeans and it didn't really go well for the Russians.
She had three world championships, three european campions and her first challenge, the American Cup in March.
She wasn't invited, Viktoria and Aliya were but Vika hate the American Cup and REFUSED to compete in it. Aliya needed the practice and the coaches thought this was a great way to get Anna noticed since she's now a first year senior and one of the biggest threats for a world title.
Before she could get to the American Cup though she had one big obstacle in her way.
...
Anna was woken up by the sounds of crying and screams in the hall. No one should have to wake up to that sound.
She got up quickly and looked at the clock. It was 7 in the morning. No one had to be up until 10.
She noticed her roommate Maria was missing so she went searching. She stepped into the hall in her pyjama's and saw Aliya, Vika, Masha and Ksenia all crying. Other gymnasts were also in the hall.
"Whats going on?" she asked.
"Alexandrov is leaving!" Masha exlaimed. "THey fired him!"
"He can't leave" Anna said. "His contract with Aliya isnt up until December"
"But after" Viktoria got closer to Anna so she could whisper. "But after the contract is up he might leave for good"
"No way" Anna said.
"They announced it this morning on the website" Ksenia said. "And if the Rodinenko's take over we're all doomed" Anna was still shocked. Alexandrov was not her personal coach, but he still believed in her alot.
...
Around 10 all the girls went downstairs for the morning training. Only a few minor coaches were on the floor.
"This isn't serious" Anna said. "He can't leave" Igor shrugged at the chalk bin.
"If i was fired i wouldn't want to stay" Anna sighed. "There announcing the new coach later this week"
"I know" Anna said.
"Pray it's not Rodionenko"
"Im crossing my fingers"
...
A few days later Anna's personal coach, called her into his office. Alot of stuff was going around the gym and no one was happy. Anna seemed unaffected by it. She just liked to keep things to herself.
"So im assuming you heard what's happening with Alexandrov?" she nodded. "Well the team needs a new coach" he said.
"Why can't Alexandrov coach still?"
"They're blaming him and his biased views on Aliya for our disappointment in London, which isn't even the slightest bit the reason why we failed" he explained.
"Then why?" she asked.
"It's politics, they want gold medals. We've only gotten 1"
"But two silvers, three bronze's are still good too" she said. "Just wait until Rio and what i can do"
"Anna, they've asked me to take over as head coach" Anna smiled
"That's awesome!" but she frowned. "What's the problem?"
"If i become head coach, i can't be your personal coach anymore" Anna frownd. Suddenly it was like her entire life flashed before her eyes.
When she was 7 years old she was brought to Lake Krugloe and ___ promised her would coach her all the way to Rio. He pinky promise a seven year old. And even though it was an illegitamite promise she still wanted to keep that promise.
"But no" Anna said. "You can't do that to me"
"Alexandrov can be your new coach if he chooses to stay, he already agreed" Anna shook her head.
"No you can't do this to me!" she exclaimed. "You promised! you promised a little seven year old girl that you'd stick by my side no matter what!" she stood up and left the office. She slammed the door and started running.
She ran outside back toward her dorm. No one was in the building so she just cried and cried and cried.
....
Anna was left alone until late that night when Aliya, Ksenia and Vika practically knocked down the door to Maria and Annas room.
"Guys hurry they're having another meeting!" Aliya exclaimed. The five of them, the future of Russian gymnastics ran out of the door and into the gym. They ran down the halls and found the conference room, they listened silently. Ksenia put her ear on the door and repeated everything they said.
"Alexandrov thinks this is all so ridiculous" Ksenia said. "And then Rodinenko said it's neccesary to ensure Rio is protected. Someone mentioned Anna ad how she's our best chance for gold" they all smiled at Anna but she wasnt happy. "Oh Grebkin--he's not taking the job...why not?"
"If he takes it, he can't coach me anymore" Anna said. "I might have had an emotional breakdown earlier"
"He said he cant leave you in someone else's hand, he's coached you for 8 years now and he knows how you work and what you can and cannot do and he needs to be there for you and only you" Anna smiled. "Now someone is asking who is going to coach and take charge--i can't hear anything--oh god run" the girls ran down the hall. The door opened.
"Get back to your dorms!" Rodinenko exclaimed. "We are housing hoodlums"
...
Anna found her coach the next day. "Were you guys spying on us yesterday?" he asked. She smiled.
"Sorry"
"Did you hear what i said?" Anna nodded. They hugged. "Rio 2016 here we come" they were going to make everyone eat their words.
Up until now Russia has never won a team gold medal or and individual medal. Or if we think about it the only place Russia has done really well in is on uneven bars, vault and floor. Beam was still a question mark.
Anna wanted to change that. Spoiler alert: she does