Status: More oneshots? Let me know :)

A Keeper

<3

“Yeah, yeah, I understand. Sure. Yeah, I’ll be there.” Josh snapped his phone shut in annoyance. He sunk in his chair, suddenly losing his appetite for the coffee and half eaten sandwich that sat at the table before him.

“Can I get you anything else, sir?” The waitress had been eyeing Josh from across the outside cafe for a while now, and he knew it but hey, what could a fella do?

“No thanks, here, keep the change.”

After he handed the waitress a generous tip, he returned to his slumped form. Since the release of the Hunger Games movie, it seemed like he had no time to himself. Sure he was in a bunch of movies before this, but none that even held a candle to the fame that the Hunger Games brought on.

Josh looked at his phone on the table as it lit up and vibrated, most likely his agent again trying to push him to do more interviews and auditions. But he was sick of it. Sick of it all.

Rolling his head to the side, Josh lazily gazed out on one of the many streets of Los Angeles. It was a sunny spring day, but surprisingly it was hustling and bustling like it usually is.

It was actually kind of nice.

“Excuse me sir,” a voice interrupted his moment of solitude and Josh raised his eyes to meet one of another waitress.

“Oh, I don’t need anything else, I’ll get out of your hair I promise.”

Josh began to rise out of the chair, but the waitress gently placed her hand on his arm, “Oh no, no, no, that’s not what I was going to say. I was just going to give you a heads up that a performance is going to happen in just a moment and you are sitting right under a speaker.” Her slim finger pointed up towards a lamp post, where josh could barely make out a discreetly placed speaker hidden in the flower pots that dangles from the post.

Josh turned his head and smiled at the waitress, grateful to avoid a mini-heart attack from the sound that would surely be blaring out of the speaker. As he turned to nod a goodbye to the girl he took notice to her uniform, it was clear she was trying to portray a waitress, but the coloring was slightly off compared to the other waitress who had served him earlier.

With a quick smile, Josh left the cafe in hopes of a lazy afternoon stroll around the small side streets, but they were quickly dashed when he noticed photographers setting up expensive looking equipment only two stores down from him.

With a quick flip of his collar, Josh tried his best to hide his face away from the public, pulling his hat further down to cover his face more.

Josh mentally noted the upside and downside to this trick; if the paparazzi don’t notice you in the first place, you’re as good as gold. The downside is that you look like a complete creeper and it impairs your vision slightly.

Not heeding his own warning of his poor vision, Josh kept his head down and picked up his speed, only to run straight into a small body.

His arms shot out in front of him, trying to catch the person before they hit the ground, but he only successfully managed to fall down with them instead.

He heard her laugh before her saw her face, but that was all he needed. Her laugh was contagious and he found himself smiling as he took off his hat and looking up at the victim of his clumsiness. She was wearing a vibrant peach dress and was propped up on her elbows, smiling down at Josh.

“I’m so sorry, I wasn't even paying attention to what was going on.” The girl was on her feet and offering Josh a hand up before he could get past the beauty of her smile.

“I’m Sonny, by the way. Sorry about all of this nonsense.”

Josh took her hand and gave a quick shake of his head, “No, no, it was completely my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you ok?”

She checked her arms and legging clad legs, “Eh, I think I’ll live.”

While she continued to check her limbs for damage control, Josh took the moment to soak in the beauty of this girl. Her brown hair was wavy and tucked behind her ear with a flower, her lips were a tinge of pink from lipstick, and her hazel eyes shimmered from the sunny day. Her outfit seemed even more vibrant since she was standing in front of a flower stand, the colors making her seem to pop out of the crowd even more.

Josh cleared his throat when he noticed she was staring at him, “I’m Josh by the way, and I’m so sorry about this. How about I make it up to you?”

The girl smiled but it faltered slightly when music started pouring out of hidden speakers and her eyes darted quickly to the street, “I would love to, Josh, but I can’t really talk right now because-”

Before she could finish her sentence, she was being whisked away by the waitress towards the middle of the street where various people had assembled in the middle.

Josh registered the song, “Everybody Talks” by the Neon Trees was playing and he smiled as he saw Sonny dancing in the front with everyone else. So this was the performance the fake waitress was talking about.

Josh smiled and leaned against a post, watching Sonny twirl around with a huge smile on her face. He remembered seeing this type of event before, it was a flash mob; people jump out of nowhere and surprise an audience with a dance.

His grin was huge as he looked around the crowd, people’s expressions mirroring one much like his own. Out of the corner of his eye, Josh spotted a jacket on the ground next to him and it took some mental prodding to remember seeing it in Sonny’s arms before he knocked her down.

Josh scooped up her jacket, having the intention to personally hand it back to her, but his eyes connected with a cameraman from a distance and the flashes went off within a second.

Josh grumbled, stumped on what to do with the jacket and it’s gorgeous owner, when a light bulb went off.

==========

Sonny took her final bows and turned her head in the last place she saw Josh, but felt a frown form when she saw that he wasn't there anymore.

She sighed and made her way back to the flower stand, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

“This yours, Hun?” Sonny turned to see the shop owner holding out her jacket.

“Oh thank you! I forgot I dropped this.” Sonny offered the owner a smile before taking a step to leave.

“You know, that one’s a keeper!” The owner nodded her head towards the jacket before busying herself with her floral arrangements.

Sonny raised her eyebrow in curiosity before looking at her jacket. Her eyes connected with a beautiful rose pinned to the lapel and she smiled. Curiously, she shoved her hands deep into the pockets of jacket and her fingers came in contact with a piece of scrap paper.

Sonny felt her smile grow as she read the messy note, “Finish this conversation over coffee? Call me maybe? :)” followed with Josh’s number scrawled along the bottom.

She smiled as she fished out her phone, thinking of how right the shopkeeper was.