Status: Completed.

Wretches & Kings

The Final Battle

Hoon Si led the way, his hand tight around Hyun Ae's. His trembling was evident. Explosives continued to go off, sending the ground into seismic activity and buildings tumbling to the ground. The siblings kept low, crouching behind fallen rumble and making random breaks for it across cracked and littered ground.

“We need to know where Doh-Chang is being kept,” Hyun Ae said. “Do you have any idea?”

Hoon Si shook his head, peering over the large piece of debris that had fallen from one of the towers. “I was just a slave; what was I supposed to know?”

“Okay...” Hyun Ae inhaled deeply. “Let me think...”

“Hyun Ae!” Her head whipped around, spotting the blurred form fast approaching.

Hoon Si was quick to react, stepping in front of his sister. A protective glint in his eyes. Hyun Ae grabbed his wrist and pulled him back. “Its alright,”she said as T.O.P dodged behind the cover with them. He wiped the sweat and blood from his face as he tried to catch his breath.

“What's the problem?”

“What makes you think there's a problem?” Hyun Ae inquired.

“All you've got is a kid following you and you're trying way to hard to focus on my face. What happened?”

“Our cover was hit. Everyone's still alive, but we're the ones who could get out the fastest.”

“So you're going after Doh-Chang alone?” T.O.P quirked an eyebrow.

“No, I have you, don't I?”

T.O.P smirked. “Yes, you do. Relieving isn't it?”

“Very. You know where his safe hold is?”

T.O.P nodded and exhaled loudly. “I do.” He looked around the side of their cover. “Alright. You two ready?” A murmur of declaration. T.O.P straightened a little more. “Let's go.” And the trio shot off with him in the lead, dodging and bolting between covers of broken artillery and machinery. Hearts pounded, skin tingling, ears ringing from the oncoming blasts. Dust pricked the eyes. Hyun Ae stayed right on Hoon Si's heels, leaving him to lead the way.

T.O.P ducked right, leading into a courtyard that laid in shambles. Dakeu Jeon-won scurried towards them, letting loose bullets that peppered the ground in front of them. T.O.P dodged right for another cover. Hoon Si grabbed his sister's hand and jerked her in the same direction. They all stumbled behind a burnt out military truck.

T.O.P swore under his breath, checking his automatic for a reload. “Wasn't expecting that.” He peeked around and grit his teeth. “The entrance to the strong hold is two hundred feet to our left. I'll cover you.”

“Wait, what?” Hyun Ae demanded. “What the hell are you talking about?” The sound of artillery rounds was deafening; she practically had to scream her questions.

“I will cover you,” T.O.P replied calmly. “You go and finish the job.”

“What about me?” demanded Hoon Si.

T.O.P was quick to present him with an extra hand gun. “How well do you shoot?”

“Not good...” Hoon Si said, but took the gun from his hand.

“No!” Hyun Ae said, reaching for the gun, but Hoon Si quickly moved it from her grasp. “You are not doing this!”

“You think you can protect me?” Hoon Si growled. “You can't. Not when you're too busy protecting your self and taking down Doh-Chang. I'm fifteen.” His voice softened. “I couldn't protect you before and now I am. Don't worry about me.”

Hyun Ae looked at him long and hard, torn between what to do. He answered back with silent stubbornness. “Hyun Ae, we don't have much time,” T.O.P said, uneasiness reaching his voice.

Hyun Ae reached forward, gripping her brother's neck to bring his head forward. She placed her lips on his dirt-ridden forehead. “I love you,” was all she said before turning to T.O.P. “You better keep him safe—”

“I had a brother too,” T.O.P said suddenly. “I know. I'll protect him as best I can.” Hyun Ae nodded and crept forwards. “Two hundred yards, straight ahead,” he said. “Good luck, kid.”

Hyun Ae filled her lungs, clenched her firsts. Her feet pushed off from the ground as she lurched forward, sprinting as fast as she could for the doorway where its cover had been blown away. Dakeu screamed at her, firing, but they were quickly silenced by Hoon Si and T.O.P's own weaponry.

The air around her suddenly darkened, her footsteps echoing off close walls, but she still persisted. Almost tumbling down stairs, she stopped herself just in time. Voices could be heard below and she slowly crept downward, the din from outside still apparent.

The blades slid from her sleeves, the quiet shink the only sound to reveal them. There were four voices, laughing quietly, nervous. Hyun Ae's eyes fluttered closed. You can do this...just breathe...focus...

She rounded the corner, faster than the first could react. Her blade broke through his middle. The next drew his gun, but she attacked the same as the one before with her left, the right still protruding from the others chest. Blood coated the wall they stood by, the floor underneath them. Right blade released, her feet dancing to make the right approach, slicing through the gut of the third soldier. The final one standing got a shot in, the bullet nearly hitting Hyun Ae's arm. His head was sent spinning into the air, coming to roll about on the floor as blood pooled and its body fell.

The door which they had been guarding was large, wooden, but horribly thick. Hyun Ae grit her teeth and tried to the large steel handle. To her surprise and worry, the door gave. Paranoia prickled on her skin as she opened it more.

“I've been waiting for you.” The voice that came from inside was cold, sleek. Hyun Ae's skin crawled at the all-to-familiar tone. “Please, come in.” Hyun Ae peeked around the door slowly. Doh-Chang's back was to her, facing the wall. Her eyes scanned the rest of the room. It well-adorned with drapes and cushions and comfort, much like the room she had been kept in as his concubine. She shuddered at the memory. But apart from Doh-Chang, the room seemed empty.

Slowly, she stepped inside, raising her blades. Her footfalls were silent. As were the other form that lay in hiding. Hyun Ae had no time to react. The dagger's glint was seen as it soured. Its sting blossomed in her shoulder, throwing her back with such force she fell back against the wall. She let out a small cry, gripping at the hilt.

Doh-Chang turned and, in the corner, the dagger's owner was revealed. It left Hyun Ae's heart aching. His hair still defied gravity, but there was no calm and happy gleam to his face anymore.

“I apologize for the surprise attack, rather low of me, but I needed you stationary and Taeyang was more than...willing.” He stressed the word as he glanced at the shorter man who could not stray his eyes from the floor. “You seem to do well with those blades, Hyun Ae.” She breathed heavily from her nose and with one hard pull, dropped the dagger from her shoulder. Doh-Chang raised an eyebrow as she braced her back against the wall to get herself to her feet. “Its amazing, truly, what you've done for yourself,” he went on. “Once just a slave, now a fitful warrior...I'm rather impressed.”

“Yes, well, I didn't do this to impress you,” Hyun Ae hissed.

Doh-Chang chuckled, turning back to the wall he was facing. A small table sat against it with a long, wooden box held in its center. Doh-Chang opened it. “I take it, you are here to capture me.”

“Something along those lines,” Hyun Ae muttered, gripping the blades tighter in her hands as she glanced at Taeyang. Two more daggers were situated in his palms.

Doh-Chang's lips drew back in a grim fashion. “To kill me then, is that your plan?” he asked, producing a glistening sword from the boxes depths. “You aren't the only one who has been trained in such a fine art of defense.” His dark eyes admired the long edge, his thumb running across it. “Guns make killing too easy. With a sword, you can drag on death for as long as you like.” He turned, shedding his black robe in one fluid movement. “Let's see whose the better of us two, shall we?”

A pang of fear traveled through Hyun Ae's body as her eyes went over Doh-Chang's powerful and wiry form. She knew the strength he had, the sickening speed. She had been accustomed to a blade for only a few months—he? Probably many years. Instead, she hid the signs of fear and raised her weapons in defense. Her eyes flickered to Taeyang; Doh-Chang noticed.

“Taeyang,” he barked. “Do what you wish with the girl first.”

Taeyang's head whipped around to look at the dictator. “Sir?”

Doh-Chang glowered. “You heard me, boy. Unless you wish for your beautiful family to die.”
Hyun Ae's own eyes narrowed as Taeyang's form tensed. Her gut twisted with guilt. Doh-Chang held Taeyang's family above his head as the only leverage. It was agonizing to see the war within him as he tried to come to terms. From his bowed head position, he gave a quick glance at Hyun Ae, one that spoke the words that needed to be said.

Taeyang charged, slicing at air as Hyun Ae dodged his attack. With a quick flick of his wrist, he jammed the hilt of his weapon into her wounded shoulder. A grunt left her lips and she tumbled, getting back to her feet in a heartbeat to come at him. Her blade met his with a sharp cling. His other missed her oncoming attack and the blade sank into his shoulder. Taeyang grit his teeth, trying to catch his dagger into her skin, but missing when she dodged again. Her hilt came back, slamming into his temple.

Taeyang tipped over, trying to regain balance as he head was sent whirring. Hyun Ae lowered her blades as he tried to crawl to his feet. “That's enough,” she said. “Its time you fight your own fight.”

A simper came to Doh-Chang's lips as he stepped down from the small platform to face Hyun Ae, twin swords in hand.

“Perhaps, you want to think things through...?” He was met with silence. He sighed. “I hate for such a beautiful, young woman to go to waste.” Without further words, he attacked. Hands sure and he swiped, blades swirling through the air. Hyun Ae's own could do little to keep up with such ferociousness. Doh-Chang's strikes left slices in her skin, simply playing with her.

A slice across the cheek, the shoulder, arm, leg. He was unattainable, unable to control. She glanced an opening, brought her swords down, only to have it blocked by one of his. The other plunged, slicing between her ribs, almost catching the lung. Hyun Ae let out a small whimper, nearly falling. Doh-Chang shoved her back, releasing his left blade to slice it full across her face. Blood sprang free from destroyed flesh as Hyun Ae fell to the ground. She wiped at the blood below her eyes, the white of her cheekbone peeking through the torn skin. Dark blotches coated her left side from shoulder to thigh with the onslaught of fresh blood. Every inhale made the skin stretch painfully where Doh-Chang had made his mark.

“Did you really think that someone as yourself could defeat me?” Doh-Chang inquired, cleaning his blade by sliding it between his fingers. “To think someone as low as you could defeat me...” He laughed. “You're foolish girl.”

Hyun Ae's eyes glared up at him, malice-stricken as she tried to right herself. He raised the sword over his head for the final blow, teeth glinting. A movement caught Hyun Ae's eye. Her loss of contact was noticed by Doh-Chang and he whirled, striking his blade through the chest of an advancing Taeyang.

Doh-Chang's victorious smile only lasted for a moment before it disappeared as pain flared in his torso. Slowly, he looked down to see one of Taeyang's deadly daggers sheathed in his gut.

“No!” The growl escaped him and he pushed forward, sending Taeyang stumbling back as he tried to press on, still ran through with the sword. “I will not die!” Doh-Chang seethed, bearing down on the shorter men with clenched teeth.

A hand clamped down on his shoulder and he stiffened as Hyun Ae put her lips to his ear. “You will die,” she said. “Your place in hell has waited far too long.” With one quick swipe, her blade slid across his throat.

Crimson careened from the wound, down his bare chest and to the polished floor below. Doh-Chang fell away, his hand releasing the sword still embedded in Taeyang. Blood sloshed from his lips as he choked, gagged. Slowly, life drained from his eyes.

However, Hyun Ae hardly paid any heed to the dying tyrant as she hurried to catch Taeyang before he fell. They both went ungracefully to the floor and Hyun Ae propped him up with her knee.

“No, no, no,” she murmured, cupping his cheek. “Stay with me.”

He touched her hand, eyes half-lidded. “Get my family away,” he croaked. “Please?”

“I'm getting you out of here too,” Hyun Ae promised. Her eyes fell upon the sword still protruding from his chest.

Taeyang smiled slightly. “Don't worry about me. I've...had worse.”

“Oh, shut up.” Tears were falling from her eyes. “You did it, Taeyang.”

“We did,” he argued lightly. “Asia can rebuild now.” He coughed, specks of blood dotting his lips. “Apologize to G-Dragon for me.”

“You can do that yourself,” said Hyun Ae.

Taeyang swallowed hard. “Don't deny this, Hyun Ae...Th—thank you.”

“For what?”

His eyes were drawing closed. “For...for coming into our lives...you gave us strength...”

“Taeyang, don't you dare die on me!” She shook him lightly; no response. “Taeyang, don't! You have a family to take care of, remember? They're going to be waiting for you!” She shook him harder as tears dripped from her nose; her face contorted in grief. “Taeyang, please...”

Her weak pleas fell on deaf ears, echoing softly against the walls as the war continued to thunder outside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two or three more chapters, guys! Eep!!

Honest feedback is always appreciated!

Special thanks to:
Blue to help me fall
Selestyna Arpa364
Kickass Alice
Symbiont