Status: I haven't really been getting much feedback on this, so as of 2/2/13 this story is on Hiatus

A Light From the Shadows Shall Spring

Chapter 9

I made my way back upstairs to the room I'd been given when it suddenly dawned on me that I still hadn't gone to see Frodo. I'd been so preoccupied with myself I had completely forgotten. I felt bad; what a horrible way to treat one of the first friends I had made here.

I hurried my step and went down the hallway, hearing voices down towards the end. I heard Hobbits laughing with each other and I smiled at the sound. They were such lovely little beings. I knocked softly on the already open door and stuck my head in. The hobbits all saw me and smiled at me, beckoning me in.

Merry, Pippin and Sam ran over to me to hug me, all asking if I was alright at the same time. I took turns hugging each one of them properly and smiled at them. I assured them I was alright and then made my way over to Frodo. I sat down on the edge of the bed and hugged him, and asked quietly, "How are you, Frodo?"

He answered just as quietly, "Better than I was."

I furrowed my brow slightly and asked, "What happened exactly? I remember hearing you scream, but I don't remember anything after that."

At this point, Merry and Pippin chimed in to fill in the gaps for me.

Pippin said, "He got stabbed with one of the Ringwraith's swords, Cissy! The wound was terrible."

Merry chimed in, "And he kept screaming like one of the wraiths. You were too. It was awful. But Sam and Strider found a plant that helped both of you."

I looked to Sam in mock surprise as he looked down and blushed. "Is that right, Sam? Well, my hero!" I got up and hugged him and gave him a light kiss on the forehead. Looking back and smiling at Frodo I continued, "I'd say Frodo and I are mighty lucky to have a friend like you. All of you." Frodo nodded and Sam said, "It was just a mighty good thing the elf lady showed up to bring Frodo here." He looked at me and said, "We had a right hard time keeping you on Bill to begin with, I reckon we woulda never made it if we had to worry about both of you."

I looked at them all apologetically, feeling bad that they'd had to worry about me at all in the first place. "Well, I'm glad that we're all safe now. But, I think I'm gonna go get some rest. I'll see you all later." I waved as I walked out the door and they all said various goodbyes to me, and I shut the door behind me and made my way back to my room.

I entered my room feeling suddenly very tired. Dragging my feet, my aching body collapsed on the bed and within minutes I was asleep.

I felt as if I'd only just closed my eyes when I heard someone calling my name. Cracking my eyelids open, I looked to see a beautiful woman looking at me. Her hair was long and brown, and she had the most wonderfully pleasant voice I'd ever heard. She smiled at me when I looked at her and said, "Hello Cecilia, my name is Arwen. My father sent me to remind you that he still wishes for you to attend the council this morning, although they have already started." My eyes shot open all the way and I pulled myself out of bed, looking around for something to change into.

"How late am I?" I asked in a flurry, looking for the clothes I had been brought here in. They were nowhere to be seen. Arwen smiled gently, and presented me with a beautiful white, flowing dress to change into and said, "Not very. They've only just started minutes ago." At hearing this, my pulse slowed slightly. That was a relief. I took the dress from her, staring at it in awe. I had never seen anything so beautiful. I almost didn't want to touch it, fearing I would ruin whoever's it was.

Arwen surprised me by stating, "The dress is yours now. I won't be needing it any longer." I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at her. This was hers? How could she possibly want to get rid of something so beautiful? I had done nothing to deserve this kindness.

As if she could read my thoughts, her velvety voice stated, "I will be leaving these lands soon, and there is no doubt in my mind that you will get better use out of this dress in the future. Your presence here warrants much kindness; you are more important than you know. We welcome you back."

With that, she turned and exited my room before I could thank her for the dress. I scrambled to put it on, still being very careful with it. I ran my hands through my hair and once again hoped I didn't look frightening.

I hurried down the steps and outside I followed the path to one of the circular gathering areas I had passed yesterday. I didn't know how I knew to go there, but it turned out to be right. I saw a gathering of men within the circle, but in truth, I heard them before I saw them. There were many men shouting and it sounded as if they were having an argument. I hesitated on the threshold not really sure if I wanted to be a part of this.

I saw Frodo sitting in a chair near the entrance and I walked past him, patting his shoulder in place of a friendly hello, but he did not seem to notice me. He was staring at something on a pedestal with undying concentration. I followed his gaze and recognized the object as the ring he had been carrying. Lord Elrond was also sitting, and he had his forehead rested on his fingertips- he looked strained. I approached him and placed a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up, a slight smile reaching his eyes, although he still looked weary.

I knelt down to his level and said quietly, "I apologize for being late." He gently waved my apology away and said, "It is no matter. This council has yet to produce any sort of pleasing result." He watched warily as the men all continued to argue amongst themselves.

Slowly though, the men stopped arguing and turned to stare at me. It was suddenly very quiet and I felt myself growing warm under their gazes. I shifted uncomfortably. A man with blonde hair wearing a red tunic under a sleeveless leather pullover took a step towards me. I felt myself tense up slightly but made myself stay where I was. The man was staring at me with some look of wonderment and disbelief.

The man came closer still and said perplexedly, "Do my eyes deceive me? Can it be? Is this the very face painted upon countless portraits, the one to come to Middle Earth and save mankind from the Great Evil?" He looked to Lord Elrond for an answer as another man came closer. He was tall and slender with long, bright blonde hair, and once I saw his ears, I knew he was an elf. He was staring at me in the same way and also looked to Lord Elrond and asked, "The Lost Lady of Dunharrow?"

Lord Elrond nodded once slowly and at once the men were in an uproar again. They were all looking at me and talking amongst themselves, speaking about how I was there to save everyone from the 'Great Evil', whatever that was, and how I must be so powerful, and had I really returned? How was it possible?

My pulse began to quicken rapidly and my mind screamed for me to turn around and run away- this was all too much- but my feet wouldn't move an inch. Lord Elrond must have sensed my discomfort because he rose from his chair and placed his hand in the middle of my back reassuringly and I felt my heart-rate lower slightly. He silenced the men and led me over to a chair next to Gandalf.

I lowered myself carefully, my side still somewhat sore and watched as Lord Elrond turned and carefully spoke to the anxious men. "It is true The Lost Lady of Dunharrow has returned to Middle Earth. However, I must urge you all to treat her return with the utmost delicacy, and you should not hold every detail of the tales you have been told throughout your youth to be wholly precise. Her exact purpose has not yet revealed itself."

The men looked as if they didn't believe him, but they still gave him their attention as he continued to speak. "And now, for the matter of the Ring. We must make a swift decision in concluding who will travel to Mordor to destroy it."

At this, the men started arguing amongst themselves yet again and Lord Elrond looked exhausted with this topic. I took the opportunity to turn to Gandalf. "Gandalf, what exactly have these men been told about me? Why do they all think I am some sort of hero?" He looked away slightly and then said matter-of-factly, "Men have been told tales about you for many years now. Over time, it would seem, the tales were altered and are now not entirely correct. You see, men have only been told what the outcome of your task here would be, not the means by which the result would occur."

Suddenly, Frodo stood and called out something but it was difficult to hear over the roar of voices shouting at each other. However, they all died down and everyone turned to look at Frodo.

"I will take it," he shouted. I saw as Gandalf's face fell, as if he had anticipated Frodo may say something like that, but all the same wished he would not have said it. All the men turned, astounded, to look at Frodo. He continued, "I will take the Ring to Mordor." Upon realizing what Frodo had said, the men's expressions changed from disbelief to wonderment. He continued in a quiet, unsure voice. "Though, I do not know the way."

Gandalf looked at him fondly and rose from his chair to walk over to him. He said, "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." He stood behind Frodo and Aragorn rose from his chair with purpose. As he strode over to Frodo he said, "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will." He knelt down in front of Frodo and pledged, "You have my sword."

The blonde elf walked over and said, "And you have my bow," followed by a short man with a long beard who looked like a dwarf who stated proudly, "And my ax." Then, the man with the armor looked at Frodo intensely as he said, "You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done."

At this point I glanced at Lord Elrond, who was already looking at me. I suddenly knew he wanted me to go with Frodo, and although I felt uneasy, I stood from my chair and looked at my first friend I had made in Middle Earth. I walked over to him and knelt down, taking his hand as I did so. Quietly, I said, "I wouldn't dream of letting my first friend I have made in Middle Earth go somewhere without me when I might be able to return the help he's given me. I'll go with you too." Frodo smiled at me and I stood, looking to Lord Elrond. He gave me a small, yet approving smile.

Then, there was a rustling in the leaves behind us, and Sam ran out from the bushes yelling, "Aye, Frodo's not going anywhere without me!" Lord Elrond attempted to assume a stance meant for scolding, but he ended up speaking out of amusement. "It is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret Council and you are not."

As if fulfilling my expectations for this event, Merry and Pippin then cut across the courtyard while Merry shouted, "We're coming too! You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us." They ran up and stood proudly at Frodo's side, and I couldn't help smile at their loyalty as Pippin said, "Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of… mission… Quest… Thing." Merry murmured, "Well, that rules you out, Pip." I couldn't help but chuckle slightly at their antics with each other.

Lord Elrond looked at all of us, standing proudly with Frodo and said, "Ten companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring."

Merry smiled and said, "Great!" Followed by Pippin who densely asked, "Where are we going?"

We all chuckled a little and dispersed, knowing we wouldn't be leaving for some time still. As I walked back to my room, I felt a nagging sensation at the back of my mind, and I wondered exactly what I had just gotten myself into. I knew nothing about traveling here. What kind of terrain was it? What kind of poisonous bugs or animals were there? How long would we be gone? All sorts of questions ran through my mind.

An overwhelming wave of emotion washed over me once my door closed behind me, and I couldn't stop the tears from spilling out of my eyes. Every emotion I had felt since the day I fell into that retched hole in the ground rose up to the surface and let itself escape with the tiny droplets of water.

I didn't know how long I'd been crying, but a knock at my door startled me and I hastily tried to fix myself up. "Uh, just a minute!" I called and quickly wiped the tears from my eyes and face and fanned my eyes to make them stop watering, although there was no doubt in my mind that they were still going to be red and puffy when I opened the door.

I straightened out my dress and walked slowly over to the door and opened it, coming face to face with Aragorn. He studied my face, and I could tell he knew I was upset about something, but bless him, he didn't ask about it. Instead he said, "Forgive me for disturbing you, my Lady, but Lord Elrond has asked that I introduce you to sword-fighting." I felt my eyes go wide and my head pull back in surprise. I had to learn how to fight with a sword? I had a feeling this could quite possibly be disastrous.

"Oh, uhm, well… alright then." I stuttered and motioned for him to lead the way. He gave me a curt nod and turned around, heading toward the staircase. I followed him and was thankful that we walked in silence. We went through the courtyard and down a lightly trodden path through the less populated area of the forest until we came upon a clearing. I saw that the man with almost shoulder length, dark blonde hair from earlier was waiting there for us, and looked up when he heard us approaching. He immediately stood up straight and squared his shoulders, advancing towards me with an enthusiastic smile on his face.

"Lady Aegliriell," he began as he bowed in front of me, "I am Boromir, son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor, at your service. Long have I wished to look upon the fair Lady's face."

I quickly looked to Aragorn out of panic. I had absolutely no idea what to do or say. And I really didn't want to be called by a name that wasn't my own. Luckily, Aragorn interjected before I had to respond.

He leaned over to Boromir and quietly said, "Boromir, the Lady does not yet recognize that name. Her journey here has been fraught with confusion and her memory of this place has yet to be fully recovered." He straightened up, looking at me now as he spoke, "I believe the Lady would rather be called by the name she knows." I smiled a small yet grateful smile at Aragorn's perception and nodded my head slightly.

Boromir looked to me as I took the opportunity to introduce myself. "I'm Cecilia. Or Cissy if you prefer. It's a pleasure to meet you, Boromir." I stuck out my hand, thinking that he would shake it, but instead he lightly grasped it as he brought it to his lips as they grazed my hand softly.

I felt myself blush slightly and hoped they didn't notice. All of these formalities were so different from what I was used to. Boromir released my hand and said, "I assure you, the pleasure is mine, my Lady." I gave him as much of a smile as I could and was relieved when Aragorn turned and said, "Now then. We have been appointed the task of teaching you how to fight."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all are still enjoying this :) If this is hard to read on the layout I have, please please please tell me and I'll change it! Let me know what you think? <3