Status: Working on it :)

Life As We Know It

Canada

“Don’t be nervous” James says as he pulls into his old driveway.

“Easy for you to say, I just want them to like me” I say and run my hands through my hair again.

“They already love you”

“They love the idea of me, they don’t know the actual me” I say back as we get Austin out of the car.
We make our way to the door and walk in to a living room with people I have only seen in pictures sitting on the couches.

“I thought I heard a car” James’ mom comes up to us and gives us both hugs, catching me off guard. “We are a hugging family” she says when she pulls away with a smile. “Hello, I am Lisa”

“Lex and this big guy is Austin” I say and pick him up out of his car seat.

“That is my husband Henry, my sons Michael, Peter, and Nicholas, and my daughter Rebecca” she says pointing everyone out.

“Hi, it’s great to meet you all” I say with a smile. “James talks about you guys all the time”

“I know, he can’t shut up about you” one of his brothers says, Michael I think.

“Don’t tease your brother. When was the last time a girlfriend of your came over?” Lisa said and that left everyone else laughing in Michael’s expense and him sulking. “Come sit down, do you want something to drink?”

“No thank you” I say and take a seat on the loveseat with James. We spend the next hour talking and getting to know each other. I found out quickly that they love to tease each other and make jokes. It has been a while since I have been a part of a family dynamic and it took me off guard.

“Um, I think Austin needs a change, where can I do that?” I ask James and I can tell he sees the tears in my eyes.

“Here I will show you” he says pulling me up from the couch and down the hallway. “What’s wrong?” he asks once we are in a bedroom.

“I’m fine, it’s just been a while since I have been around a real family and it took me off guard.”

“Baby” he says and gives me a hug. We stay like that for a few minutes but are pulled out of the silence by a knock on the door.

The door opens and Lisa sticks her head in “I just wanted to let you know dinner is almost ready”

“We will be out in a minute mom” James says.

“So this was your room?” I ask when we were alone again.

“Yeah, these are from my midget days” pointing to trophies and medals on shelves all over the room.
“Some of my old jerseys, from teams I played with and favorite players over the years” he said opening the closet.

“We better get to dinner before she sends someone, we can finish the tour after” I say grabbing Austin from the bed and making our way to the dining room.

“Oh, I left the high chair in the truck. I will be right back” James says and leaves me to fend for myself.

“So Lex, how old is Austin?” Peter asked me.

“He is almost 6 months, time flies” I say with a smile and tickle him, causing him to giggle loudly. “Do you have a bowl I can use?” I ask Lisa and she finds a Tupperware bowl for the banana I am going to mash up.

“I can take him while you do that” Lisa says and takes him from my arms. I can tell that she is a good mother; she did raise James and his siblings.

“Why don’t you feed him baby food from a jar?” Peter asks as I mash the banana and add some milk.

“My mom was really into being healthy and eco-friendly” I say as James comes back in with the chair. “Thank you” I say and he gives me a kiss on the forehead.

“No problem” he says before turning to Austin who lunges for him in return. “Hey buddy, ready to eat?”

“Who would have thought you would be good with kids?” Rebecca asked with a smile.

“James is great with Austin and I think he loves him more than me sometimes”

“Not possible” James says then gives me a kiss.

“EW, get a room!” We hear from different members of his family.

I blush at the PDA but James just rolls his eyes and waves everyone off with a “Shut up”.

I feel Austin his dinner and halfway through James and I switch so I can eat too.

“How do you do that?” Nick asks.

“What?” I ask and take bite.

“You two just did that without talking to each other”

“Well James has been there from pretty much the beginning and it is like routine now” I say with a shrug.

“It is just weird how in sync you guys are” he says with a shake of his head.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“You will sleep in James’ old room” she says as everyone gets ready for bed.

“All of us?” I ask

“Well I trust you enough not to…in the house” she says with a blush.

“Of course” I say with a blush of my own.

“Okay well good night everybody” James announces before leading me away to bed.

“Goodnight” I shout before the door closes. I open my suitcase for my pajamas and toiletries to get ready for bed. “Bathroom?” I ask and James tells me where to go. After changing and doing everything to get ready for bed I get back to the room to find James lying with Austin on his chest asleep.

“If you keep doing that he is going to get use to it then not want to sleep on his own” I say as I slip into bed.

He just ignores me and tucks a piece of hair behind my ear. “They love you, both of you”

“How do you know?” I ask

“My mom pulled me away after dinner when you went to the bathroom and said that she really likes you. She also said it was nice to have a baby in the house again. She is pretty much the only one you needed to worry about, now that you have her everyone else was easy.” he says.

“This trip has made me really happy” I say and rub Austin’s back softly. “You make me really happy”

He tips my chin before giving me a kiss and saying, “You make me really happy too, and I love you”

“I love you too” I say with a huge smile. “You know every time you say it I get butterflies in my stomach”

“Me too” he whispers before sitting up and getting out of bed to put Austin in his Pack-n-play. “So I know we said we wouldn’t have sex but is making out a no too?” he asks as he gets back into bed.

“I guess we can” I say with a smile.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“This is so beautiful” I say as we sit down at Marc and Vero’s wedding.

“Yeah, I don’t even want to know how much it costs” James says

“It is their big day, it’s not like he can’t afford it” I say and shift Austin on my lap.

“True. Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?” he asks.

“Yea many times” I say and smooth out as much of my green dress as I can.

“Well you do look beautiful” he says and kisses my cheek. Before I can say anything back the music starts to play and bridesmaids start walking. We watch as Vero walks down the aisle looking stunning and as her father gives her away.

“She looks beautiful” I say and James nods his head. The ceremony was beautiful and now we are waiting for them outside the church, then it is party time.

“Hey Lex I want you to meet Max Talbot. Max this is Lex, my girlfriend and Austin her brother” James says and we shake hands.

“Nice to meet you” I say

“Well you sure did get a looker” Max says and I blush.

“Hey back off, why don’t you go hit on one of the bridesmaids?” James says with a smile.

“It’s fine James. I know who you are Max, with growing up in Pittsburgh and all. First of all thank you for what you did for the Penguins, second, it killed me to watch you go to the Flyers, and third, you look like the devil in this suit” I say looking him up and down.

“Well then, I guess you are a fan and fire cracker. Keep a hold of this one Nealer, I like her. The baby doesn’t hurt either.” He says with a wink before disappearing into the crowd around us.

“He is something” I say

“Yeah that is for sure” he says and we watch Marc and Vero come out smiling and so in love.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“Party time!” someone yelled and the music started. Dinner was over and most of the wedding obligations were over, now people had one goal, to get shitfaced.

“What time do you want to leave, so I know beforehand?” James asks.

“I know Austin will need to go soon and I kind of have a headache so I might not be here much longer. But you can stay and come back to the hotel later” I say to him.

“How about we stay for one more hour then we all go back to the hotel?” he asks

“I know you want to stay with your teammates”

“Most of the people here speak French and I see my teammates all the time. I wouldn’t enjoy myself if you weren’t here with me”

“If that is really what you want” I say and he nods his head.

“Do you want one more?” he asks pointing to my empty wine glass.

“Actually can you get me a water?” I ask and Austin squirms in my arms.

“Here, let me take him and get you that drink. Just relax and go talk to Vero before we leave”

“Meet you back here in twenty?” I ask handing over Austin.

“Twenty” he says and gives me a kiss before making his way to the bar.

I find Vero coming off the dance floor and grabbing a drink.

“Hey” I say and get pulled into a hug.

“Hi, oh my god I am married!” she yells back at me.

“Yeah and you look absolutely beautiful” I say looking at the dress she changed into for the reception.

“Thanks, you too. Where are your men?” she asks looking around.

“The bar” I say with a shrug “Doing manly stuff”

“I bet” she says and Marc joins us, hugging Vero from behind.

“Can I just say that you two are the cutest couple and will have the best looking babies” I say and the both smile.

“Isn’t that what the honeymoon is for?” Marc asks with a smile.

“You are something else” I say “I just wanted to get over here now before we take off to get Austin to bed”

“I am so happy that you made it and I will call you when we get back into the city” Vero says pulling me into another hug.

“I wouldn’t have missed this and congratulations again” I say and give Marc a hug before heading back to our table. On the way there I pass and say goodbye to a couple of people I recognize from the organization. I was almost to the table when I was pulled onto the dance floor by none other than Max. It was a slower song so he pulls me in to dance.

“You know I have never seen James happier” he says and turns me.

“He makes me happy too” I say with a smile. “I really don’t know where I would be without him”

“I want the best for him” he says

“If you are asking me if I am the best for him then the answer is no. I don’t know what he sees in me, raising a baby that isn’t his with a girl that he has known for about 4 months. But I love him and for some reason he loves me too” I say

“I like to look out for my friends and I asked James that question and do you want to know the answer? He said he loves you because you don’t care that he is James Neal and that you have the biggest heart” he says turning me again.

“You are a really good friend” I say to Max and wipe a tear from my eye. “I need to get back to them before he comes looking for me”

“Hey Lex, take care of him” he says before I nod and make the rest of the way back to the table. I find James there holding Austin and talking to Sidney Crosby.

“Hey baby” he says and I take a seat next to him.

“I love you so much” I say and pull him in for a deep kiss.

“I love you too” he says when we pull away. “What brought this on?”

“I shared a dance with Max” I say “He is a really good friend”

“Yeah he is how about we get out of here. It is past this little ones bed time” he says looking down at Austin who fighting to stay awake.

“Okay” I say and get our stuff together. “Sidney, it was nice seeing you again” I say and he nods from across the table with a smile.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“Finally” James says as we settle into bed.

“Yeah, today was a long day. Austin was starting to get grumpy.”

“It was really nice; I like weddings much better when I have someone to go with” he says and pulls me into his arms so I am lying on his chest.

“Yeah it is” I say and kiss his chest. “This trip has been really great. I have met people that are very important to you and I got to see our friends start a life together.”

“It has been great and I can’t imagine sharing it with someone else but you” he says and kisses my forehead. “Let’s sleep, we have a full day tomorrow” he says after I yawn.

“I love you James” I whisper.

“”I love you too Lex” he says back before we fall asleep in each other’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW that was a long one and i had writers block about halfway through and pushed through it. I would love to hear your thoughts and questions. I hope you all enjoyed it!

Kirsten :)