Status: Working on it :)

Life As We Know It

Ex's, Bedrooms, and First Tooth

It has been a week since we dropped off James’ car and we got the call this morning that it was done. By the time we get to the shop it is about lunch time and when we walk in my heart stops.
There leaning against the counter like he owns the place is Danny.

“Well, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes” he says with a smirk that use to give me butterflies in high school. “How’ve you been Lex?”

I can feel James’ hand on my shoulder tighten. “Been good, you?” I ask as we walk up to the counter.

“I have been better”

“What are you doing here Danny?” I ask

“Can a guy have lunch with his brother?” he asks with his hands up. He then looks over my shoulder to James and Austin, “Playing house?”

“You might not of heard but my parents died not too long ago,” I say “This is my brother and my boyfriend James N…”

“Neal, who doesn’t know that face in this city?” he says “I’m just wondering what he is doing with you?”

I hear James take a deep breath “Not that it is any of your business, you gave up that right about three years ago when you cheated on me with Stacey”

“Asshole” I hear James whisper behind me and I have to suppress my smile. Then Rick walks out of the back and sees us.

“Leave Lex alone Dan” he says as he gets the paperwork for James to sign. “Here sign this and I will need a credit card”

After paying for the bumpers we go outside to see it around back. Of course Danny follows us because he is an asshole and wants to make my life hard. And of course he is antagonizing James the entire way.

“So how long did it take to get her legs open? She was always easy, even back in high school” he says and that is the last straw. I see James turn around, put Austin in my arms, then pin Danny to the side of the shop with his arm against his throat.

“If you say one more thing I will end you” he says and even I get scared.

“Is that a threat?”

“No it is a promise” he says before letting him go, grabbing my hand and dragging us away. “Thanks so much, we will see you around” James says taking the keys from Rick and getting in the car.

“I’ll see you at home” I say through the open window and give him a kiss. He pulls away and I turn to Dan. “Why do you have to be an asshole? I am happy with James so don’t try to pull me into your pitiful life.”

“It is just a matter of time before he cheats on you, if he isn’t already” he says with a smirk.

“Not everyone is like you Danny” I say and walk back to my car. I get Austin in his car seat before I feel a hand on my arm turning me around.

“Listen here you little bitch…” is all he gets out before he is pulled backwards and landing on his ass. I look up to se Rick standing between us.

“Go home Lex” he says and I don’t question him, I get in my car and drive home to James. I decide to let him cool off a little longer so I go by one of our favorite café’s and get some lunch for us. I get home and into the house to find it quiet but his car is outside so I know he is around somewhere. I put Austin down for his nap, taking the monitor with me, and look around for him.

Since talking about moving in more of his stuff has come over including the workout equipment. That is where I find him, in the basement beating the crap out of the punching bag.

“You are going to bust your hand if you’re not careful” I say from the doorway. He stops but doesn’t turn around.

“I almost lost it today” he says

“I know” I say

“That is the exact reason why I don’t want the media to know. It would be like that but a hundred times worse,” he says “everyone would pass judgment on you, us, our relationship”

“I get it” I say and approach him. “I see where you are coming from”

He turns around and I wrap my arms around his waist. “Are all your ex-boyfriends assholes like that?”
“Most” I say “But that is why they are exes and you are current. Come on Austin is sleeping, we can get more moving done”

Most of his stuff is in boxes around the house in random places. “I was thinking, but if you turn me down I get it”

“Ask me” I say

“It was before you were up this morning and I was thinking about the big master bedroom that isn’t being used. What is we clean it out and use it for our room?” he asks

That is my parent’s room and would hold everything that was theirs. “I don’t know” I whisper

“Its fine” he says and kisses my forehead.

“I will think about it” I say then we make our way upstairs. After unpacking some of his clothes I notice that I have little to no room in my closet for him and my dresser is full. “Maybe we should move, there is no room in here and the master has His & Hers closets”

“Closets are good” he says and I know he is trying not to pressure me into anything, letting me decide. I can hear Austin moving around and I know he is going to get up soon. “I’ll get him” James says leaving the room.

I look down the hall to where their door is closed tight. I haven’t opened it up in the months I have been home. I make my way there and softly open the door. It looks as if they have stepped out for a moment and will be back at any time. There are clothes laid out on the bed the closet door is open, the desk in the corner has papers on it, and the bed is haphazardly made.

“We don’t need to get rid of anything, we can just put it in the guest room or in your room” James says from behind me.

“This is such a nice room, it shouldn’t go to waste. Look at all this closet space” I say opening the closet closest to me. It was my step-dads, it had all his suits hanging neatly and shoes lined up on the rack.

“Whatever you want to do” James says bouncing Austin up and down. “Does he feel hot to you?”

I take his head in my hands and press my cheek to his forehead. “Yeah, why don’t you get the thermometer in the bathroom?” I say and take Austin. “What’s wrong baby?” and all I get back is a fist full of drool.

“Here” James says and holds the thermometer to his ear. “It says 99.4. What do we do?”

“Why don’t we run a cool bath and I will Google it” I say walking back to our room and grabbing my laptop. As James gets the bath set up I look up his symptoms. “Do you have red gums?” I ask and look inside his mouth to see his gums inflamed.

“Bath is ready? Did you figure it out?”

“I think Austin is getting his first tooth. After the bath I will call the doctor and ask what to give him.” I say and carry him into the bathroom; I lay him on the rug and undress him. “Does that feel good?” I ask as I set him in the water after testing it.

“I know we said that we wouldn’t talk babies but when you have your own, you are going to be a great mom” James says “Even though I already think about you as a mom”

“Thank you. You’re going to be a great dad and I am happy you are in Austin’s life.” I say back

“Kids use to freak me out but I have learned the basics”

“You know more than the basics. Sometimes you are the only one that can calm him down it must be something about being in your arms or your scent because it works for me too”

“I don’t like seeing the people I love in pain” he says sitting down beside me and pulling me in a one armed hug.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Everybody!
Sorry for not updating this! I had it written for a while now and just now got around to posting it.
Comment!

Kirsten :)