Status: Working on it :)

Life As We Know It

Girlfriend and Practice

“You are so gross” I say as I watch James put ketchup on his eggs for breakfast.

“What? This is delicious” he says and takes a big bite.

“So, I was watching TV last night and guess what I watched?” I ask with a smirk.

“Do I want to know?”

“Your NHL 36”

“Ugh, what did you think?”

“I think you need lessons on how to put a shirt on properly” I say with a giggle.

“You know, I got so much crap for that” he says with an eye roll.

“I’m just messing with you” I say and look at the clock. “Can you do me a favor?”

“Sure” he says as he finishes breakfast.

“Can you watch Austin while I take a shower?” I ask and I can see the hesitation in his eyes.

“Are you sure?”

“He is sleeping and should be for another hour” I say knowing his schedule is like clockwork.

“What if he wakes up?”

“He won’t but if he does just pick him up and keep him entertained. I promise I will make it a fast one.” I say as I make my way to the stairs with him following me.

“Fine” he says and I give him a kiss before disappearing upstairs.

After fifteen minutes I am showered, changed, and walking into the living room only to have my breath taken away. James is lying on the couch watching ESPN and Austin is laying on his chest sound asleep.

“Who’s the natural now?” I whisper to him as I walk up to the couch. “I need a picture of this” I say as I pull out my phone. “Smile” and I snap the picture that makes my knees weak.

“You are still the best” he says after I situate myself next to him on the couch.

“So I have been thinking that I need a job or something” I said after a few minutes

“What about Austin?”

“I was thinking of maybe doing something from home but I don’t know what. That way I can still be with him but I would have something to fill my days” I say as I run my hand softly over Austin’s head.

“This is one of my favorite things to do now” I whisper

“What?”

“Watching him sleep, it is just so peaceful” as I say that I see his face scrunch up and I know he just went to the bathroom. “You are lucky he has a diaper on” I say to James

“Why, did he just poop?” he asks with a horrified face.

“I believe so” I say getting up gently and grabbing the diaper bag from the hall. “Hope you don’t mind but I am not going all the way upstairs” I say as I pluck Austin off James’ chest and lay him down on the blanket. As I am changing him he wakes up and gives me a huge gummy smile. “Hey, big boy! Does that feel better?” I ask as I secure the flaps of the new diaper.

I turn to James and smile “Watch this” I say before blowing a raspberry on Austin’s stomach only to make him laugh and wiggle around. “He loves it and he likes being tickled. He thinks it is the best thing in the world.” I say before rubbing my fingers on the bottom of his feet.

“You guys are so cute” James says as he joins us on the floor and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

“Do you have practice today?” I ask as he tickles Austin.

“Yeah but not until three” he says and I look up at the clock to see it is only 10:15.

“Getting ready for the Rangers?” I ask

“Yeah, they have been on fire lately but I think we can take them”

“Well if it helps you always have two fans right here” I say and look at Austin.

“It does help” he says and pulls my face to his for a kiss. “Do you want to come to practice today?”

“Is it an open practice?”

“No, but other girlfriends come” he says with a shrug but I am still caught up on the girlfriend part.

“What did you call me?” I ask

“Girlfriend?”

“I didn’t know we were there?” I say and immediately regret it when I see his face fall.

“Oh, I just assumed” he says looking anywhere but me.

“It just caught me off guard. I didn’t think you wanted that”

“Why wouldn’t I want you as my girlfriend?”

“You just never asked me” I say with a blush

He starts to get up and I think I made him mad but when he pulls me up too I get very confused. He then picks up Austin before pulling me over to the couch, sitting down and handing me Austin.

“What are you doing?” I ask but he just waves me off.

“I want to be a part of both of your lives and over the last month I haven’t been able to get you out of my mind. Will you Alexis Carter do me the honor of becoming my girlfriend?” he says with the most hopeful look on his face.

“James Neal, I would be honored to call myself your girlfriend” I said and the knee weakening smile that I have grown to love comes out and gives me butterflies.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I sat wrapped up in my jacket and scarf as I watch the Pittsburgh Penguins practice at the rink in Southpoint. At the moment Austin is sleeping and I would like it to stay that way so I don’t draw unnecessary attention to myself. When we walked in we got a lot of looks of confusion, surprise, and lifted eyebrows with whispers from other girlfriends and wives. While they sat up in the stands I sat close to the door in case I had to make a quick escape. I could hear them whispering but I couldn’t decipher any words, in my gut I knew it was about me. About half way through practice Austin woke up and started to fuss. I took him out of the car seat and walked up and down the hallway that was next to the bleachers. He calmed down almost instantly and snuggled up to me for warmth.

“Hi” I heard from behind me and turned around to find a gorgeous woman standing there with a smile on her face.

“Hi” I said still bouncing Austin.

“I am Veronique, Marc-Andre’s Fiancé” she says with a French accent.

“Nice to meet you, I am Lexi” I said and shook her outstretched hand “James Neal’s girlfriend” I say with a smile, still not believing it.

“Oh, I didn’t know he had a girlfriend” she says and looks between me and Austin.

“It is fairly recent” I say and look down to see Austin is back asleep. “Would you like to sit down?” I ask as I make my way back to his car seat. After we get situated she looks down at Austin with a smile.

“I have to say, you have a beautiful son”

“Oh, thank you but he is actually my brother” I say and I can see the confusion on her face “He is in my custody now” I say and she must see something in my eyes that says to drop the subject because she turns to the ice and we start talking about the players.

By the time practice is over Austin has woken back up but is in a good mood. He is all smiles and I can see Vero, as she likes to be called, melting under his gaze.

“Come down to the locker room with me to see them” she says and we make our way down there. There are other women down here but keep their distance and whispers to themselves. “Don’t mind them; they just don’t like new people. As soon as they get to know you they are nice” Vero whispers to me. We make small talk for about ten minutes before guys start to come out nicely shower.

“Bonjour belle” I hear and turn to see Fleury walk up to Vero and kiss her on the lips. “And who is this?” he asks and turns to me

“I’m Lexi” I say with a smile and hold out my hand. Instead of shaking it he brings it up and kisses it.

“Hey, you have your own” I hear then feel an arm wrap around my waist. I look up to see James’ smiling face; he looks down and gives me a kiss on the forehead. He then looks down at my feet where Austin is in his car seat beaming up at James. “Hey big man” he says as he lifts him out of the carrier.

“I swear he likes you more than me sometimes” I say

“We men have to stick together” James says and makes silly faces at Austin causing him to giggle. I can see the confusion on the goalies face but before he can open his mouth Vero talks to him quietly in French; I see him nod and turn back to us.

“It was very nice meeting you” Vero says with a warm smile before pulling me into a hug.

“It was” I say when she pulls back.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” James says to Fleury before they walk away hand in hand.

“How are they so perfect?” I ask when they are out of earshot

“I ask myself that same question” he says “Did you like practice?”

“Yeah, it was cool” I say not wanting him to know about the women.

“What’s wrong?” he asks

“Other than Vero no one talked to me, just about me to each other” I say with a shrug

“Forget them, they will see that you are an amazing person in their own time” he says and tilts my head up so he can look into my eyes. He gives me a kiss on the lips before pulling away and kissing my forehead. “Let’s go home”
♠ ♠ ♠
HELLO! I hope you like this chapter.
What kind of job do you think Lexi should get?
Comment!!

Kirsten :)