Somebody's Heartbreak

Only if you told me to

“Tay!” Tayler’s roommate, Gabrielle, snapped her fingers in front of her face. Gabrielle (or Gabby, as Tayler would call her), and Tayler spoke two completely different languages – French and English, but they quickly learned from each other in their short two weeks together so far, “Iz something wrong?” she said with a strong accent. Tayler had been staring blankly at Tom’s Wikipedia page for a while and was both surprised and intimidated by all of his achievements.

“No, Gabby. Ca va bien.” She assured her roommate. “Non, je ne te crois pas.” She disagreed, “You ‘ave been staring at zat computer screen for 5 minutes, ‘dis is not normal. What are you looking at?”
Before Gabby could get a good look at the page, Tayler slammed the laptop shut, “Really Gabby, it’s nothing.”

“Tayler,” Gabby said with a liaison as she held out her hands for the laptop. “Fine,” Tayler handed her the laptop grudgingly. “Why are you looking up Tom Daley?” she said with bewilderment. “I wanted to know more about him…” Tayler said innocently.

“Why? No, une moment – You didn’t know who he was?” Of course, Gabby would know. The summer Olympics were just about as big in France as it is in the UK. « Non, je ne sais pas. » she shrugged. That set off Gabby on a rampage about how she wondered whether Tayler grew up on a farm in the middle of Canada or something as Tayler reminded her that while the summer Olympics were on, she was busy between watching her sister at snowboarding competitions or in an ice rink, training her ass off. The only events she did watch were soccer, swimming, and the gymnastics competition. She didn’t pay attention to diving in the slightest.

If Tayler recalled correctly, she spent the summer of 2012 at the Canadian U22 Women’s National Team Camp between flying to Switzerland with her sister and training with her brother. She was fuelled by the thought that she was guaranteed a spot on her university’s roster but didn’t want to be a freshman that never made a difference to the team.

As much as Jordan was the story was in Canada, she made her own headlines in the hockey world. Being the second female and first female forward drafted into the WHL (basically one step from being in the NHL) followed by another headline saying that she denied this opportunity to retain her NCAA eligibility which was then followed by her committing to Ohio State University, like her role model and long-time mentor, Tessa Bonhomme.

Tayler’s ultimate goal was to simply make a name for herself and not be chosen because of the name on the back of her jersey. Reporters often said that she would be seen as the first female to play full time in the NHL but she feared that would just be a way for a club to make money off of her.

Between their bickering, Tayler’s phone rang and broke up the conversation, “It’s Tom…” she said quietly before quickly restraining Gabby from screaming at the top of her lungs, “Are you done?”

“You gave him your number?” she squeaked. “He asked,” she said before answering the phone, “Hey Tom,” as Gabby flailed and screamed into the couch cushions, “I’m doing well, and you?”

“I’m great,” Tom said from the other end of the phone, “I was just wondering if you were free tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I am.” She said, trying not to laugh at Gabby freaking out on the couch. “Great, I’ll come pick you up in the morning.”

“Wait, hold on. We’re spending the whole day together?” she said with her jaw hung open. “Yeah, Plymouth takes more than a day to see but we should cover a good bit of it. Are you okay with that?”
“It’s fine, just surprised. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.” She said as she hung up and waited for Gabby’s reaction. “Can I see him too?” she screamed.

“No Gabby, you have work and no, you can’t take a day off.” She said before Gabby put on her puppy-dog face. Tayler never fell for it at home being the baby of the family but Gabby’s china-doll appearance makes it very effective. “I’ll get you an autograph.” To which Gabby shrieked with joy and pulled her into a hug.

Later that night, she Skyped with Jordan and instantly, he could tell something was on her mind prompting him to dig further and further. “Tay, there must be a reason you called me.”

“Have you ever heard of Tom Daley?”

“The diver? I’ve heard about him here and there on TSN, why?”

“I met him and am meeting up with him tomorrow.”

“Okay, I don’t see the problem here.” He shrugged. “Jordan, he’s – we’re the same age and I feel like…” Jordan cut her off, “You’re intimidated.” “No way!” she scoffed to which Jordan gave a disapproving look, “Okay! I’m intimidated. Look at him, he’s already been in two Olympics, won an Olympic medal, countless titles, and still maintains a steady grade point average all while mourning over the death of his father. Could you ever imagine losing dad and being in your draft year?”

“No, I couldn’t… Knock on wood but Tay, you’re the first female forward drafted into the WHL, you outscored everyone at Shattuck’s, and pretty much every school with a hockey team wants you on their team at whatever costs while the respective schools wants you in their research facilities. You’re also a shoo-in for the 2014 team. Why are you so worried?”

“I don’t know… I guess I’m just not used to people not knowing me as your little sister and he’s more famous than you around here which again, I’m not used to.”

“Keep your head up, kid.” Jordan smiled. “You’re one to talk,” she laughed before hanging up. She never lets him live down the day she checked him into the net during a shinny game because he was too busy admiring his stick-handling.

The next day, Tom came by to pick up Tayler at 10am after his morning practice session. “So what are we doing today, Mr. Daley.” She turned to watch as he drove. “We’re going to get some lunch at my house, then I have diving practice, but then the rest of the day is ours.” He flashed his smile before quickly turning his head towards the road. “So… I googled you last night.”

“Oh really? I did the same…” they smiled at each other. They’re natural curiosity was perfectly insync with each other’s. “What did you find about me?”

“I knew your name sounded familiar but I didn’t think you were Jordan Eberle’s little sister,” “Oh no…” she groaned as his words formed into her least favourite sentence, “What is it?” he said, worried that he had said something to upset her. “That’s my least favourite title… being caught in my brother’s shadow and such.”

“Well, your career is more impressive to me than his. You’re going to have to teach me hockey sometime.” He smiled. “Say that again?” she giggled. “What?” he turned to her as they pulled into his driveway. “Hockey.” She said, waiting for his reply.

“Hockey?” he said her favourite word in her favourite accent, “I just love the way you say it.” She giggled again.

Tayler was tentative when she entered Tom’s house not knowing what to do herself, she just stood nervously in the front foyer of the house before Tom took her by the hand and pulled her into the living room revealing a mantle filled with family pictures. She immediately gravitated towards it for a better look. “Is this your dad?” he pointed to a picture of Tom with his dad.

“Yeah, that was about a year before he died.” He said as he stuck his hands in his pocket. “I could never imagine losing my dad… knock on wood.” She said as she did on the mantle. Tom was expecting the usual ‘I’m so sorry, blah blah blah.’ Speech and was slightly surprised she didn’t say that. “Is this… you?” she laughed as she pointed at a picture of a baby taking a bubble bath in the kitchen sink.

“Oh my god, I’ve asked mum to take this one down so many times.” He said as he quickly snatched it from the mantle and held it face down on his chest. “Why would she? You were adorable.” She smiled as she took the picture frame from his hands.

“Hold on, were? I’m still adorable, look at me.” He said as he flashed his pearly white smile. “Whatever you say.” She smiled back as she pinched his cheek as Tom’s mom walked in on them.
“Oh hello,” she said as she caught Tom holding Tayler’s hand after pulling it away from pinching his cheek. “Hi! I’m Tayler.” Tay immediately stepped forward and introduced herself. “Do you need some help with that?” she offered as she noticed the pile of groceries by the door.

“Please. Tom never offers to help out with groceries,” she raised her eyebrows with approval. “Mum!” Tom interjected. “Oh, I see you found my favourite picture of Tom.” She ignored him, “Yeah, he always loved being in the water,” she said reminiscently. “Anyway, would you like to help with lunch, dear?” she said as she handed the picture frame to Tom. “I’d love to.” Tayler followed Mrs. Daley into the kitchen, leaving Tom in the living room and wondering what to do with himself before following them in as well.

“So Tayler, your accent tells me you’re not from around here.” She said as the two of them began putting the groceries away. “I’m not. I’m from Canada.”

“She’s here on a summer exchange internship, mum.” Tom added. “Let the girl answer for herself, Tom. Why don’t you help with the groceries? Why don’t you get a start on chopping the tomatoes and carrots, Tayler?” Mrs. Daley dictated her kitchen

As they cooked, they conversed as Tayler talked about her family and why she ended up coming to the UK and when asked why turn all of her opportunities down in which she replied simply, “School is my priority.”

“Tayler, you look quite familiar.”

“Do I?” she said with legitimate fear as she caught the concerned look of Tom who was watching them converse. “I don’t know, maybe I’ve seen you around town is all.” To which Tayler breathed a quiet sigh of relief. “So you say you play ice hockey? When did you start playing?”

“From all I can remember, I played hockey. I can’t even tell you about a time I didn’t run around with a hockey stick chasing around my brothers.” She said. She loved those times when the game was simplest. She pretended to be Cassie Campbell while her brothers pretended to be guys like Joe Sakic or Mario Lemieux, “Being the baby of the family, all I wanted was do what my brothers and sister were doing.”

“You’re going to teach me sometime, aren’t you, Tayler?” Tom said as he nibbled on a carrot. “I’ve yet to pass by an ice rink… I’ve been skipping out on that part of my training.” She said with shame. Her coaches gave her a strict training regimen but since she couldn’t find a rink, she’s been allowing her skates and stick to collect dust.

“Well, we can’t let that happen. I think there’s one down the road from the pool. We’ll check it out later.” He smiled. As soon as he took his last bite of lunch, Tom rushed upstairs to collect his diving gear and then raced back down before grabbing Tayler by the hand and pulling her towards the front door. “Sorry I can’t clean up, Mrs. Daley!”

“No worries dear, and call me Debbie!” she replied as Tom closed the door. “I think she likes you.” He smiled.

“Of course, everyone loves a Canadian girl.” she replied quickly. “I don’t know, I quite like my American girls.” He said as he opened the passenger side door for her. “But might I reiterate… everyone loves a Canadian girl.” She repeated.

She sat in the bleachers as Tom and his teammates, one-by-one, climbed the stairs of the diving platform and took their turns hurling themselves off the gigantic platform. Not only did the height of the platform petrify her with fear but diving into a deep pool of water mortified her. It’s safe to say that she doesn’t know how to swim.

He seemed to have a lot of fun with his teammates. Between their dives and being coached, they were just like Tayler with her teammates – fooling around and joking. It just made her miss her team more than she did before. “What’s wrong?” Tayler was so dazed that she didn’t notice that he had climbed the bleachers to see her. After she processed his presence, she realized that he was wet and wearing nothing but a Speedo.

“I-I’m fine.” She stuttered as she tried not to stare at his body, “Just seeing you with your teammates made me miss my team.” Tom understood. His team is his family and no matter how gruelling training was, his teammates were always there to live it through with him.

“Hi, you must be the Canadian girl Tom’s been raving about, I’m Tonia.” The petite blonde stuck out her hand. “Hi. I’m Tayler… Tom’s been raving about me?” she smiled as she shook Tonia’s hand.

“Ton, shut up.”

“Yeah, it’s kind of annoying actually.” She said, ignoring Tom, but Tayler was quick to apologize. “You Canadians really are all very polite, aren’t you?” she smiled with her pearly white teeth. “When do you get yours off?” she asked as she pointed at her teeth, indicating towards Tayler’s own braces. “Hopefully in a month or so.” Tayler had been counting down the months, weeks, and days towards the day she would be getting her braces removed. She couldn’t stand wearing a mouthguard over them. “Tom better keep a hold on you afterwards, you’re going to be even more of a babe once those things are off.” She smiled as she nudged Tom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Phew, that was a long one.
Hope you enjoyed it!

Comments are more than welcome.
Thanks for reading!