Somebody's Heartbreak

We owned the night

Tom sat in the cold arena with Tayler’s family as they waited for the game to start. Dustin explained the basic rules of the game while Jordan was busy signing autographs for fans. He quite liked the anonymity of the day – no one knowing who he is and he can just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere. It reminded him of a diving competition but he remembered that most arenas hold tens of thousands of people while this small one holds a couple thousand but it was packed!

He retained most of things Dustin and Jordan explained to him but definitely needed some help as the game progressed. As the game went on, he caught on all the penalties and such, he found it similar to soccer in a way. He would get nervous whenever Tayler went into a battle in a corner though because they were playing against minor hockey players who were much bigger and looked a lot stronger than her but she always managed to squeeze out with the puck, even able to sneak out and shoot one in on the corner of the net like she so often did in practice. Tom probably cheered the loudest out of anyone as she even gave him a smile through the cage of her helmet as she skated by.

“Mom, you’ve been replaced as Tayler’s number one fan,” Jordan joked. But it was true. Tom had borrowed one of the many “Eberle” Team Canada jerseys and was wearing it loudly and proudly.

The women won with a score of 4-1 and Tayler was named player of the game. Later that night, Tom and Tayler curled up on the couch watching TSN, wondering if the game was covered.

“Switching over to some summertime hockey,” the commentator said, “The women’s national team took on the Calgary Canucks in an exhibition game to put the women in a game situation in preparation for the Olympics. The youngest player on the roster at just 19 years old, Tayler Eberle, sister of another Canadian treasure, Jordan Eberle, tallied a goal and had a hand in the other three goals, helping the Canadian women win by a score of 4-1, earning her the player of the game title. Our cameras also caught Tayler’s family as well as boyfriend, British diving phenom, Tom Daley celebrating Tayler’s goal.” Tayler quickly turned to Tom.

“Look, you’re famous.” She laughed. “Have I made you a hockey fan?” she smiled as he nodded, “Have I made you a Team Canada fan?” he nodded again, “Would you cheer for us if we ever played Team GB?” to which Tom quickly protested with a smile of his own as Tayler’s phone rang with a message.

“What do you think about coming to a team dinner with me tomorrow?” she looked up at him as she finished reading the text. “I’d love to.”
________________________________________________________________________________

As Tayler heat pressed her hair into soft waves, her nerves escalated as she was reminded of how protective her teammates can be. “What’s got your nerves up in a knot?” her sister Ashley asked as she entered the bathroom to wash her hands. “The girls are going to rip him a new one. Boyfriend hazing’s a lot worse than regular hazing, Ash.”

“I’ve heard,” Ashley giggled as she recalled stories Tayler’s told her. “It’s all part of being on a team. They’re just making sure nothing can make him run away from you.” Ashley said as she took the curling iron from her little sister and curled that last piece of hair that Tayler could never reach. “Thanks, Ash.” Tayler said as she shook up the can of hairspray.

“Anytime, baby sister.” Ashley said as she tapped her on the butt, “Knock ‘em dead.” She said whenever Tayler needed some support.

Tayler calmed down as she put on her make-up, there was something about it that made her heart rate slow down. Maybe it was because it forced her to sit down and try not to fidget too much. After putting on a layer of lip gloss over her lipstick, she pulled the outfit she had prepared meticulously and slipped it on. She flattened the cream coloured dress with lace overlay that fell just above her knees as she looked at herself in the mirror.

She linked the silver bracelet her mom had gotten her when she was drafted into the WHL as a congratulatory gift. As she reached for her delicate rose gold necklace, she heard Tom stumble into the bathroom. Peeking into the bathroom, she saw Tom struggling with his tie. She smiled to herself before stepping in and offering to help.

“Wow.” Tom said as he looked at Tayler up and down. “You’re absolutely stunning.” He said breathlessly. “Not as good as you though,” she blushed. “Do you need help?” she giggled to herself. “Please.” He let her do her job.

As Tayler worked her fingers to form the knot, she heard a snap of a camera behind. Spinning around, she saw her mom with a camera with a huge smile on her face. “Mom!” Tayler sighed. “I’m sorry honey, this is just too cute.” She beamed.

After one last picture by Mrs Eberle, Tayler let out a deep sigh as she gripped the steering wheel tightly. "What's wrong?" Tom asked. "Nothing, I'm just nervous. The girls like to rip guys a new one," Tayler said as she turned on the ignition and pulled out the car out of the driveway. "Don't worry, I've probably experienced worse at diving competitions." he laughed. "My girls really do their research." she warned her.
________________________________________________________________________________

“So Tom, does your British accent get you a lot of girls?” Tessa got right down to business. “Tess!” Tayler shot her look. “Tay, I’m honestly curious.”

“I’d like to think that’s how I reeled in Tayler.” He joked, earning the laughs of approval from Tessa. “Tay’s always gone for country boys, do you have some southern twang to you?” Tessa asked as Tayler shot another look of disapproval in her direction. “Well, there are quite a few farms outside of the city I live in but I don’t mind the country side.”

"How many girlfriends have you had in the past, Tom?" Shannon Svabados chimed in. "2." Tom answered quickly. "And you have experience?" Tess said with a wink.

“Tess, you’re done.” Tayler said as she rubbed her temples. “Far from it, baby Ebs.” Tessa smirked. “I wasn’t asking if you were, Tess.”

“Don’t worry, Tay, it’s all just for fun.” Tom reassured her with a kiss on the cheek, “I’ve had my share of team initiations.”

“You’re mostly the one initiating them.” She said with a smile as she kissed him on the lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait on the update! Last week of classes have been insane and exams are coming up so I wanted to get a chapter up before exams start.

As usual, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!