Somebody's Heartbreak

Bulletproof Love

The women’s national team had a week-long stay in Denver in preparation for their double-header against the American women’s team as an exhibition for the most favourable Olympic match-up for the gold medal.

After a day of sightseeing and getting used to the new environment, Tayler and Emerance decided to relax in the hot tub of the hotel. “How are things with you and Tom?” Emerance asked as they sunk into the hot water. “He’s getting ready for a competition so we haven’t really talked much.” Tayler replied. “Aren’t you worried?” Emerance said with concern. “Why would I be worried?” Tayler said calmly before she sunk her lips into the water and blew bubbles.

Emerance explained how new couples often reached a comfort level in which the two tend to forget about each other and take each other for granted. Tayler was left unphased by her little lesson, “Tom and I aren’t like that. Just to prove it to you, I’ll video-call him right after we’re done here.” She said with full confidence.

As if on cue, the moment Tayler and Emerance returned to their hotel room, Tom appeared online. “I’ll leave you alone.” Emerance said as she floated out the open door of the room. “Hey,” Tayler said with a smile, “How are you?”

“I’m fine.” He said weakly. “Is something wrong?” Tay said with concern, she was so used to seeing a bright smile across Tom’s face, she immediately knew something was bothering him. “Nothing’s wrong but something isn’t right.” He spoke in riddle.
Confused, Tayler took a few seconds to figure out what he said, “What are you implying? Something is wrong then.” She deducted. “Like I said, nothing’s wrong but I don’t have that feeling that everything’s great either.” He reworded his previous statement.

Already mentally exhausted by the selection process, she didn’t have the energy to decipher her boyfriend’s riddles. “I don’t have time to deal with this right now.” Tayler said with exasperation. “Okay, then you don’t have to.” he sighed. “Then speak to me normally. What’s on your mind?” she tried one last time.

“I guess you, or the lack of you. No, it’s the lack of your effort in this relationship. Are you even trying, Tayler?” he said aggressively. He’s never used her full name while they were speaking to each other. That’s when Tayler felt it caving in, what if she doesn’t make the team? What if Emerance was right – she had taken him for granted? “Listen Tayler, if you’re not in this for the long run, we should just stop before both of us get hurt.”

“But I am trying. It’s hard but I’m still trying, Tom. I want to make this work so badly and you’re always in the back of my mind. Why are you so ready to just throw it all away?” she finally broke down and tears flowed down her cheeks. “Don’t cry,” he looked away from the monitor, “When you love something, you have to let it go. I just wish I could’ve met you later on in my life.” He sighed.

“But you’ve already met me and you say you love me. Why are you doing this?” She wiped the tears from her face, “And that’s why making this work is so hard.” He wiped his eye, “Listen, I’m tired but we’ll talk more about this tomorrow. I think we both just need to take some time and think.”

“Okay, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” She sighed as they disconnected. Almost instantly, the fear of losing Tom overwhelmed her and she felt sick to her stomach and as much as she wanted to just sleep the night away, she knew she wouldn’t be able to.

“Tay?” Emerance returned to their hotel room. “Are you okay, girlie?” she said as Tayler groaned a reply. “C’mon, tell Emerance what’s wrong.” She sat on Tayler’s bed as she pulled the covers over her head. “Do you want me to call Jordan?” she threatened, knowing that Tayler hated when Jordan worried over her too much. Tayler knows that Emerance doesn’t have Jordan’s number but she can find a way.

“Tom and I are fighting.” Emerance heard muffled through the covers to which Emerance forced her way into bed with her best friend, “What happened?” she asked. “I don’t even know, Em. We were talking and then he literally just went off the rails and started talking about how he couldn’t do it anymore. Why would he say that?” she said as tears continued flowing down her face. “He just misses you, he hasn’t seen you for three months; it’s natural for him to be frustrated about it.” Emerance said calmly as she braided Tayler’s hair.

“I’m scared, Em. Once again, a boy’s going to give up on me because I’m too difficult to be with.” Tayler said between sobs. “Tay, Ashton and Kenton were idiots who thought with their dicks. Tom loves you - I can tell by the way he looks at you. But if he does break your heart, I’ll take the responsibility of beating up his British ass.” She smiled as Tayler stifled a laugh. “See? Don’t worry, just give him some time, he’ll come around.” Emerance hugged her friend as their teammate, Tessa Bonhomme walked in. The team had booked the whole floor and had an open door policy so they could easily talk to each other.

“What’s wrong with baby Ebs?” Tessa sat on the bed with them. She affectionately called Tayler “baby Ebs” because it bothered her but only she was allowed to use the nickname. “She had a fight with the boy.” Emerance explained. Tessa sighed as she pried the covers from Tayler’s grip revealing her long brown hair, messed up by the blankets.

Tessa was a lot like a big sister to Tayler and often promised that she would do anything in her favour to protect Tayler, “Do I need to beat someone up?” she said which made Tayler laugh because Emerance just said the same thing, “No, I’ll be fine. I just need to get on the ice or in the gym to get out some aggression.” She sniffed as she wiped her tears as her phone rang.

“Hello?” she sniffed carefully. “Tay?” Jordan said, “Tom called, I’m fighting the urge to fly there and kick some sense into the boy. Are you okay?” he asked with honest concern. “Jordan, I’m fine.” She forced herself to say, hoping Jordan would believe her. “Tay, remember when you told me that you thought I could pass as a cowboy? Yeah, I didn’t believe you then and I don’t believe you now. We’ll be in Denver tomorrow if you want to talk.” He said.

“I won’t,” Taylor Hall took the phone. “Tay, I’m going to book a flight to London and kick that diver boy’s tan ass.” He said. “No Taylor, that’s not necessary.” Tayler laughed. “Taylor, give me the phone!” Jordan said in the background, Tayler heard rustling.

“Hey Tayler, Ebs and Hallsy are wrestling.” Ryan Jones said over the phone, “How are you doing, baby girl? Ebs was pretty pissed after that phone call with your British boyfriend.” This was starting to annoy Tayler, everyone just needs to get out of her business, “I’m fine, Jonesy. Please give the phone back to my brother or just hang up if you can’t.”

“No,” Tessa interjected, “Ryan, pull Taylor off of Jordan and get him on the phone.” She said seriously. “Jordan? No… No, she doesn’t need that. He said what? He did what? That’s ridiculous, why would he tell you that? Well then, obviously, he trusts you – that, or he’s guilty. You’re right, they’re still young but you can’t deny her the things she feels.” Tessa spoke quickly with Jordan. “I will not stand by and watch while my baby sister gets her heart broken!” Tayler heard Jordan yell over the phone. She couldn’t remember the last time Jordan was this mad and it kind of scared her. “She’s not a baby, Jordan!” Tessa argued, “This is her relationship and you shouldn’t be involved at all,” Tessa spoke for Tayler.

“Whatever Tessa, we’ll talk tomorrow.” He said before hanging up. “Your brother is a difficult one, isn’t he?” Tessa exhaled as she rubbed her forehead. “He always gets what he wants,” Tayler smiled weakly, “What did he say? What did Tom say to him?”

“He just didn’t want you to give him another chance. He doesn’t want you to get distracted or get hurt because he can’t be around to help you like when you were little.” She explained. “I don’t need him holding my hand. What did Tom say?” Tayler replied. “Exactly, plus he can’t tell you what to do.” Tessa expertly avoided Tayler’s question.

Emerance had been fuming on her bed as Tessa and Tayler spoke to the boys on the phone, “Tess, what did Tom say to Jordan?” she asked for Tayler. “It probably isn’t the best for either of you to know.” She stood up and tried to leave the room. “Tess!” Tayler and Emerance said in unison.

“He told Jordan that when they went to Australia for training camp, he reconnected with one of the American girls.” Tess said quietly. “That fucker!” Emerance stood up. “Em, sit down, what are you going to do?” Tayler said calmly. “How can you be so calm, Tay?” Emerance was outraged. “Because we’re not completely sure what he did.” She replied as she ran her fingers through her hair.

Emerance paced back and forth across the room, “Ugh, this is too much drama, I’m going to the gym,” she left the room. Tayler felt numb. Maybe it didn’t hit her yet and it’ll smack her in the face in a few hours or even days but she just sat there as Tessa made a cup of tea. “Do you want to talk?” she said as she placed the tea on Tayler’s bedside table to which she never got a reply.

Tayler had a nightmare that night - Her subconscious painting a picture of the middle of the ocean and a small paddle boat with her and Tom. Suddenly, Tom leapt out of the boat, leaving Tayler to fend for herself in the shark infested waters. In perfect cinematic timing, a hole filled the hull of the boat with water and she began sinking.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! I'm posting this when I should be studying for my math exam but shhhh. As usual, I hope you enjoyed this chapter =)