Status: This is my first ever attempt at creative writing outside of school so all critiques are welcomed!

So On and So Forth

My Quest For a Part-Time Job

My Quest for a Part-Time Job
Like most high schoolers, I was absolutely determined to get 3 things by the time I was a senior:
1. My license and a car.
2. An acceptance letter to a college.
3. And a job.
Well, I failed my permit test on the first shot, so that was out of the question, and I wasn't quite ready to apply for a college yet, although I had my heart set on the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park from the time I was 11. So, with all those things ruled out, I was about to set out on the quest to find a job.
The best thing about going to a tech school is that employers are in constant communication with teachers from the school, trying to find eager, wide-eyed kids to do petty and laborious tasks for minimum wage. The time finally came around when a guy from a hotel, let's call him Fred and the hotel we'll call the Holiday Inn. I'm protecting identities here people! Fred e-mailed my teacher, Chef Williams, to ask him if he had any students he would recommend for a job in the hotels kitchen. Chef sent him my information, and soon we were in contact.
Fred asked for a lot of things which I at the time didn't have. I, of course, lied and told him that I had all of these things and would send them to him immediately. This of course meant that in a matter of days, I had to fabricate a resume, cover letter, and working papers. After forwarding him all this information, he decided he would like to come to CLASS and see me in action in exactly a week. At this time he had asked Chef Williams if he had anyone else he could recommend for the position. At the time I didn't think this was weird, but looking back now, it was obvious he didn't want me for the job. Chef recommended one of my best friends, Jerry.
A bit of background on Jerry. Jerry is the kind of kid that will take all of his lunch money, and spend it on chips. He also has an addiction to Ranch dressing and Chinese food. (Not together though... At least I don't think so..). And although Jerry does not have all the book smarts in the world, he has more heart than a lot of other people. He can take criticism and roll with it better than anyone else I've ever seen. If there was one downside to Jerry, I would say it is that he could possibly be too nice. I hate to see people walk all over him the way they sometimes do. Sometimes you just have to be assertive.
I'm not going to lie. The fight was on. Jerry was one of my best friends, but I wasn't about to just forfeit this amazing opportunity. This was a huge deal to me, and when I want something, I get it. Not because I'm a brat or anything. I just work way too hard for things. I want them way too bad.
So like clockwork, Fred showed his face at CLASS in exactly a week and I couldn't have been any more nervous. All I remember is that I sat his at one of the wobbliest tables we have in our in-school dining room. I didn't realize it until I went to pour him water and almost bathed him instead. I pretty much blacked out the rest except for Jerry’s impromptu interview. I fell bad about it now, but I hid away in the back and pretty much watched the whole thing go down. It was sadly pretty uneventful except for the end when Fred shook his hand and said “I look forward to seeing you soon.” My heart sank. I was doomed.
Upon leaving, Fred said he would call us to let us know about the job. He never called me. And although I was hesitant to ask at first, I eventually asked Jesse, who had also never received a phone call.
Like any good stalker should, I waited 3 days to call his office to ask him if he had made up his mind. Each time I called, a young woman answered the phone with some new, cryptic reason why he wasn't at his office. I have come up with a simple explanation as to why Fred never called us back.
The following story is 100% true*.

"It was a breezy March afternoon at the Airport Holiday Inn. Fred was lost at his computer, knee deep in paper work. He decided it was time for his break and walked out into the lobby where he saw a strikingly gorgeous Asian woman in a flowing dress at the front desk. Fred, being an excellent employee, greeted her and asked what he could do for her. She said she needed to check in and Fred cordially obliged. He asked for her last name and credit card, but by the time he looked up, she had already drawn a gun on him. She says “Don't move. I wouldn't want anything to happen to that pretty face.” She screams something in what seemed to be Japanese, and suddenly, 11 men dressed in all black (one could call them ninjas) came flying at the desk from all angles. They take Fred by the arms and just as quickly as they appeared, they are gone."

So no, I never got a job at the Airport Holiday Inn. And no, Fred was never found. I learned that even the best plans are capable of completely falling through, so never think anything is a sure thing. But more importantly, I realized that my friendship with Jerry is way to awesome to throw away so easily.
Just a little side-note: I did end up getting a job at the Airport Holiday Inns biggest competition as a prep cook. Although it has its issues, I love it there and they have really become my home away from home. SO SUCK ON THAT FRED!
*Okay guys, so maybe I fudged the details a bit. Sue me**.
**Please don't.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this was the most fun chapter to write. How am I doing so far?