‹ Prequel: Pride
Sequel: Without You

Dark Paradise

ten.

“Teej, babe, it’s me. I just left the doctors, give me a call when you can!” Emma couldn’t wipe the grin off her face as she hopped back into her car and began the drive home. Her right hand rested against her stomach. A baby... a little tiny version of herself or her husband.

The hockey player watched his cell phone light up out of the corner of his eye. He knew exactly who it was and he knew he wasn’t going to answer. Kayla was fast asleep against his chest and he didn’t want to wake her. TJ closed his eyes once again, knowing he was covered for the rest of the afternoon. When he woke up later that afternoon, there was a tickling sensation against his chest, “Babe, knock it off.”

“When are you going to give her the divorce paper work?” Kayla asked.

TJ shrugged and slowly opened his eyes, “Tonight baby, I promise.” He looked over at the clock and noticed he was already a half hour late. “I’ll be back in a few hours.”

The hockey player threw his clothes on in haste, missing the blatant red lipstick on the side of his neck. He hummed along to whatever country song was playing and couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. When he finally got home, TJ entered the house to find his wife sitting in the dining room with a meal already sitting on the table. “Hey baby, sorry I’m late. I got tied up in some traffic.”

Emma nearly jumped out of her seat and into her husband’s arms, “Don’t worry about it. I’m so glad you’re home! I went to the doctors office to-” She noticed the lipstick and unfamiliar perfume, “-day... It was just the flu.” The brunette took a step back and TJ watched as the atmosphere in the room suddenly dropped tremendously.

“That’s good... I uh, can we sit and talk?” He asked suddenly feeling

The brunette slowly backed down into her seat, “Of course, what’s going on?” She felt her stomach churn and placed her hand protectively over the innocent child.

TJ took a deep breath, “I love you so, so much. These past seven years have been some of the best years of my life. I just feel like maybe right now, in life, we want two completely different things and I feel like in a relationship it is important for everyone to be on the same page or else it just doesn’t work.”

“What are you getting at, TJ?” Emma asked hoping her hunch was wrong.

The athlete reached out to hold his wife’s hand and watched as it recoiled to avoid his touch, “I don’t think I really want to have kids anytime soon, maybe even at all. I’m not going to be home nearly as much as I should be to really be a supportive father and I just don’t feel right leaving that burden on your shoulders.” He pulled out a large business envelope and placed it on the table.


As TJ hung up his cell phone and tossed it back into the pocket of his jeans, a well manicured hand gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. As Kayla pressed her lips to his cheek, the hockey player could feel her haughty red lipstick transferring to his skin. TJ leaned back into his wife’s embrace and let out a heavy sigh. As much as he loved Jonathan, he hated him just as much. TJ was envious as to how much time Jonathan got to spend with Luca.

The hockey player let out a soft moan as Kayla’s fingers kneaded his tense shoulders. In a moment of relaxation and confusion, TJ’s lips parted in a soft moan, “Emma..”

Hearing her husband moan his ex-wife’s name, Kayla withdrew her hands like she had just touched a pot pan. She moved in front of TJ and raised her eyebrow. Fifty shades of red flashed across the blonde’s face. The second those four letters left the hockey player’s mouth, he knew he was in for it. Kayla’s rage was always the last thing he wanted to deal with.

“Listen, Kay... I’m so-” TJ let out a heavy sigh as he got cut off instantly.

Kayla sneered, “Don’t even say you’re sorry.” She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep, meditating breath.”I’m going to take the baby and we’re going to spend the night over at the Hilton. I’ll be back tomorrow, okay?” The calm in the blonde’s voice was like nails on a chalkboard. She stopped and turned slowly just before heading upstairs, “You should probably sort your little problem, too.”

TJ leaned over, his elbows pressing into his thighs, and buried his face into his calloused, worn hands. The athlete’s body shook slightly, his palms moistened from the few tears that dared jump from his eyes. Wiping away the salty droplets with his sleeve, TJ slammed his fist on the table beside him. He stood up, the chair flying back, and snatched his car keys from the small bowl that sat beside the front door. The drive to his best friend’s loft. TJ didn’t even bother with knocking when he arrived at Patrik’s place.

The Swedish player was fast asleep on the couch when his teammate walked in. TJ took a few short strides to the couch and roughly shook his friend, “Bergie, wake up. Meet me down at the gym in ten minutes. Skynda på.” TJ added in the bit of Swedish that Patrik had taught in just to emphasize his point.

A groggy Patrik Berglund soon found himself standing beneath the awful florescent lighting of the basement gym. He stood behind a punching bag and held it in place. He watched his friend explode in a full blown rage, grunting and muttering under his breath. After a half hour of ruthless beating, TJ dropped his arms and fell back onto a press bench. For the second time that day, a few tears sprung from his eyes. TJ let out an animalistic sound and dropped his body back. Patrik stepped away from the punching bag and sat on the bench beside his friend.

From all their years playing and living together, Patrik was the best equip to deal with TJ. But all the rage and hurt that he was seeing now was incomparable to anything he had ever seen before. He ran a hand over his face before opening his mouth. “What is going on?”

TJ shook his head and said, “I think I’ve made the biggest mistake of my life.”
♠ ♠ ♠
boom... that just happened. please don't kill me. PS. i love everyone who comments, subscribes, and recommends. it truly makes my day!