‹ Prequel: Pride
Sequel: Without You

Dark Paradise

twelve.

With a short three day break, Jonathan and Quinn held a Blackhawks holiday dinner just before everyone flew out to their homes for two nights. The banquet hall was buzzing with a festive atmosphere. A plump bearded man sat in a large velvet chair with his two elves for the children while their parents danced to live music, ate delicious food, and enjoyed each others company before returning home. Luca spent the majority of his evening hanging out with Santa and Patrick Sharp’s daughter while Emma did her best to hide from Dan. She had yet to call him back after taking off on him at the end of their date.

As she hid behind a pillar on the balcony, the brunette felt someone’s finger tap her shoulder twice. She turned on her heel and let out a soft gasp. “Hiding from someone?”

“Christ, Kaner! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

The blonde laughed and pulled his friend into a hug, “Of course not. I just saw you sneaking around and thought I’d come say hello.”

Emma grimaced at the tinge of vodka in the hockey player’s breath, “Well, hello and happy holidays, Patrick. I better go mingle a bit; Let me know if you need a ride home though, wouldn’t want another cab situation now would we?” She reached up and gave Patrick’s shoulder a quick squeeze before walking off to the other side of the room.

The hockey player grimaced at the bad memories and finished off his drink before heading back to the bar. The brunette made her way to her table and took a seat watching several couples on the dance floor. She felt a small hand tug on the hem of her dress. Emma looked down and caught Luca mid yawn. She smiled as she pulled her son onto her lap and ran a hand through his soft hair as he nuzzled his face into her neck.

Upon hear soft snores coming from Luca’s mouth, Emma wrapped her arms around him protectively and headed off to the coat check. As she made her way to the lobby, the brunette said all her good-byes and holiday wishes before heading out. After a few minutes struggling to get her jacket on, Emma carried Luca out of the restaurant and covered her son’s face with her scarf.

Photographers were lingering outside the building waiting for the Blackhawks or any affiliated with them to step out. Most were likely to be waiting for Patrick Kane, hoping he would create some great front page news for them. Although the brunette and her son were not affiliated with the home team directly, Emma was known enough from the unfortunate blow out of her marriage. Despite being the son of an fan favorite NHL player, Emma wanted her son to have the most normal childhood as possible.

Once back at the apartment, Emma brought Luca to his room and tucked him away in bed. She then continued down the dark hallway stepped out of her heels the second she was in her room. After showering and washing away her makeup, Emma stepped into a pair of oversized track pants and an old t-shirt covered in paint splatters from the last time she tried finger painting with Luca. The brunette tip toed past her son’s bedroom and into the kitchen to pour herself a glass of red wine.

She lit a fire in the living room and curled up on the couch, her glass of wine in one hand and a worn photo in the other. After staring at the photo, feeling taunted by such a happy memory, Emma crumpled the photo in her hand and threw it into the angry flames. It felt as if a weight bad been lifted off her shoulders as she watched the photo burn to ashes.

Just five hours south, TJ found himself in a similar position. Kayla and the baby had long gone to sleep and the hockey player found himself having a hard time falling asleep. His sweatpants hung low on his hips as he paced through the quiet home. The photo in his hand was worn around the corners and starting to yellow a bit. It hung between his fingertips as he sat on the leather couch by the Christmas tree.

The flames danced in the fireplace as Emma hoisted herself on her husband’s shoulders. The glitter covered star sat in her hands waiting to be fixed on top of the tall tree. Evan, Jonathan, Quinn, and Taylor were all sitting on the couch watching Elf while the Oshie’s finished decorating their home for the holidays. The brunette dipped her head down after fastening the star to the top and pressed a kiss to her husband’s lips.

“Happy birthday, Mr. Oshie.” She whispered with a smile.

TJ inched forward for another kiss, “I love you, Mrs. Oshie.”

A flash went off nearly blinding TJ causing him to stumble slightly. Emma let out a small shriek of terror as her husband stumbled and wrapped her arms tightly around his head. There was a loud eruption of laughter from the couch as Evan dropped the camera from his eye.


The hockey player just stared into the photo and couldn’t shake the voices in his head. There was the disappointed look from his father and the stern conversation with his mother. Quinn, Evan, and Brad Miller all argued with him that it was a mistake while Taylor just shrugged saying “It’s your life, not mine.” TJ tucked the photo into the pocket of his sleep pants and closed his eyes hoping to wake up with all his problems disappearing.

It was a restless night for the athlete. He spent the evening tossing and turning on the couch until finally giving up on the idea entirely. TJ climbed up to nursery and stood by the crib watching his daughter sleep soundly. As she rolled over, the hockey player noticed a dark mark on the side of her neck that seemed so familiar to him. Before he got a chance to get a closer look, TJ’s phone started ringing forcing him to leave the room.

“Hello?” He answered, not bother to check the caller ID.

“Teej, it’s your mother. I’m at the airport, you plan on picking me up anytime soon?”

TJ ran a hand through his mop of hair and checked his watch, “Shit. I’m leaving now.”

He hung up the phone hastily and ran to his room to get dressed. It seemed as if time had slipped right through his fingers and his mother’s red eye flight from Washington has already landed. As he drove to the airport, TJ could only hope that a heart to heart with his mother would allow him to sort out all his issues. Mother knows best after all, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
happy birthday, teej!

ps. thanks for all the comments, recommendations, and subscriptions! i love hearing what you guys think about the story. it really keeps me motivated. 3 more to 100 subscribers! this is crazy!!