‹ Prequel: Pride
Sequel: Without You

Dark Paradise

five.

”Get up, stop moping around. Girls day.” A hand popped out from under the forest green with a middle finger in the air. Quinn sighed and pulled the duvet off her friend. Emma pulled her pillow over her head and squeezed her eyes shut. The brunette muttered something into her mattress as Quinn shook the bed gently. “Five minutes and I’m coming back.”

Emma waited for the door to shut before letting her pillow fall to the ground and sit up to rub her eyes. She slowly pulled herself out of bed and began getting ready. True to her word, Quinn returned five minutes later, fully dressed and ready to go. “What are we doing today?” Emma asked

Quinn pulled her hair into a pony tail and bumped hips with her friend, “We’re going shopping and having a romantic dinner.”

“As much as I love you, Q, I already have a valentine and he’s about 850 miles away.” She sighed softly and capped her mascara after applying the last coat.

“My valentine is 750 miles away, what’s your point? We’re spending the day together to replace the boys.” Quinn walked over and bumped hips with her friend.

The brunette rest her head on her friend’s shoulder before grabbing her bag off her bed and following Quinn out the door. They took Quinn’s car and drove down to the mall. The girls wandered around for a while, buying clothes they probably didn’t need, and chatted about everything. Despite living together, when TJ and Jon where both in town for a few days, neither girl really saw each other. The mall was filled with pink and white streamers and stores were covered in red hearts and Valentine’s Day specials.

It seemed as if every corner they turned, Emma and Quinn would run into a couple eating each others faces off. At first it was comical to the two of them, but by the fifth and sixth time, it was just plain gross. As hard as they tried, the fact that their boyfriends weren’t around for Valentines Day was bumming them out. “Do you think they’ve even pulled apart long enough to breathe?” Quinn commented eying a couple on the other side of the food court as she popped a few french fries in her mouth.

Emma looked up from her cell phone and laughed, “Probably not.”

“You know, I think Millsy is having a party tonight.” The blonde suggested.

“Lovely.” Emma muttered looking back down at her phone waiting for her boyfriend to text back.

Quinn sighed, pausing for a moment to reply to a message from Jon, “Want to go?”

The brunette shook her head, “I’ve got a date with Ben, Jerry, and Norman.”

“Stop moping around like a Debbie Downer. Let’s go to the party and be each other’s dates.” Quinn reached across the table and grabbed the Blackberry out of her friend’s hands. Before Emma got a chance to argue, Quinn shut the phone off and tossed it in her purse, “We’re going. That’s final. Now come on, we’ll go hit up one more store and buy cute outfits.”

Easily coaxed by idea of buying more clothes, Emma reluctantly agreed and got up to throw out her trash. After buying new outfits, they left the mall and headed back with a few hours to spare before heading out to Brad Miller’s apartment. They took turns in the shower before starting to get ready. Both donning red dresses, Emma and Quinn sent a photo of themselves to TJ and Jonathan respectively.

“Are you sure we have to go?” Emma muttered as they walked towards the building.

Quinn laughed and laced her fingers with her friend’s, “Yes Emma, we have to go. Norman will be there when we get back.”

The party was in full swing by the time they arrived. Bodies were packed into the small apartment and drinks were flowing between people and music was making the windows shake a little. Quinn and Emma split up as they normally did. The brunette soon found herself in a very awkward situation between Matt and Evan while Quinn chatted casually with Jon’s younger brother, David. Noticing her friend stuck between the two lovers, Quinn and Davey walked over to join the group. The younger Toews tossed an arm over his brother’s girlfriend’s shoulder and Quinn leaned into his torso.

There was a familiar deep chuckled causing the blonde to turn around and nearly scream in excitement. Jon laughed once more, “I’ve only been gone two days and you’re already moving on.. with my brother nonetheless.”

“He’s Jon 2.0.” Evan commented only to have everyone stare at him, his joke falling short.

Emma smiled walking over and hugging her best friend, “She’s just got a thing for younger boys now.”

“Good to see you, Em.” Jon dropped a kiss to her forehead before she walked off to find more people to mingle with.

As the brunette talked to Ben Blood, a freshie, she saw Jon and Quinn cozy up on the couch. She couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy. “You okay?” Ben asked as he noticed Emma’s modd suddenly drop a bit.

“Quinn was supposed to be my date, but I just got ditched.” She blurted out and quickly took a sip of her beer.

The defenseman flashed a goofy smile, “You can be my date.” He sent the older girl a flirty wink and took a mini step closer.

“Sorry buddy, she’s taken though.”

Emma looked away from the gentle giant before her and felt like the wind was knocked out of her. TJ smiled and pulled his girlfriend into his arms. “Happy Valentine’s Day, baby.”

“Happy Valentine’s day, Teej.”

The hockey player pulled Emma out to the bathroom were they had a quick make-out reunion sitting in an empty bathtub. Emma rest her head against TJ’s chest, her ear right over his hockey sticks tattoo, and let out a content sigh, “I didn’t think I was going to see you until next week.”

“I wasn’t planning on it, but Jonny called me earlier and said he was coming to surprise Q so I figured I’d join him.” TJ explained, “There’s also something I’ve been wanting to tell you, but it needed to be said in person...”

Emma felt her heart skip a beat. She shifted slightly in TJ’s lap and studied the seriousness on his face, “What is it?”

TJ took a deep breath, “I love you.”

The brunette her cheeks burn up slightly before returning the sentiment, “I love you, too.” Just as her lips met his, Emma burst into a fit of giggles.

“What’s so funny?” TJ asked giving her hips a light squeeze.

“Just thinking about how romantic the setting is... I would have never guessed I’d be sitting in someone’s bathtub when we exchange the first ‘I love you’.” Emma explained smiling.

TJ shrugged, “What can I say, I’m all about being original.”

Emma nodded and brought her lips to his cheek, “You sure are one of a kind, TJ Oshie. I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
just felt the need to lighten the mood a bit. thanks for all your comments subscriptions! xx