‹ Prequel: Pride
Sequel: Without You

Dark Paradise

six.

“So, are we going to Daddy’s for Turkey Day?” Luca asked as he sent his red firetruck flying across the hardwood floor.

Emma sighed as she captured the tiny truck in her hands on the other side of the room. She tossed her hair into a messy bun on the top of her head before rolling the truck back across the room, “I don’t think so baby... I think he’s spending it with Kayla and the new baby.”

Luca knitted his blonde eyebrows together, “Well why can’t we go too? He going to see Coach?”

“You know, for four years old, you ask a lot of good questions.” Emma smiled and scooted over to her son pulling him onto her lap, “How about this, I’ll make your favorite mash, chicken, and carrots for dinner?” She ran her fingers through his hair which recently started curling a bit at the ends.

The boy settled more into his mother’s chest and let out a tiny yawn, bringing a chubby hand to cover his mouth, “I hate Daddy.”

It was soft and so innocent sounding for such a strong statement. Emma looked down at her son to ask him about it when she noticed his heavy eyelids had already shut... Just like his father, Luca could easily fall asleep in an instant anytime, anywhere. Carefully, the brunette picked herself up off the floor without waking her son. She shifted him slightly on her hip before carrying him over to his bed and covering him with his brand new Cars comforter. The brunette quietly tip-toed through the bedroom and shut off the light before gently shutting the door and walking down the hallway to her own bedroom.

Underneath the bed, Emma pulled out a tattered old shoebox. Sitting on her bed, the brunette held the box tightly in her hands before slowly pulling off the lid. Inside the box were old photographs, receipts, letters, a velour pouch. The photographs with slightly faded coloring opened up a floodgates of memories- both good and bad. She ran a finger over a photo of herself, TJ, Jon, and Quinn from their first ‘Thanksgiving’ the group had tried to put together. There was a soft knock at the door causing Emma to toss the photo back into the box and shut it close.

“You doing alright?” Quinn asked her friend, as she leaned against the door frame.

Emma nodded, “Just going through some old memories.. you excited to see your parents?”

Quinn bit her lip to keep herself from calling her friend’s bluff, “Yeah.. it’ll be nice to have my family and Jon’s all together. You and baby boy going to be alright here?”

“Yeah, yeah, I promised I’d make his favorites.” Emma gave her friend a quick smile, “Make sure you tell Davey I say hi when you see him.”

“Of course.” The blonde took a few steps forward until she could reach out and flip open the box. Seeing the contents of the shoebox, Quinn sighed, “You need to go on a date. It’s been-”

Emma frowned and pulled the box back a bit, “Four years, I know. I don’t exactly have time to be dating, Q. I work five days a week and I’m raising a four year old on my own.” 

Quinn mirrored her friend’s frown and sat beside her, “On your own? Emma, you’ve got me, you’ve got Jon, you’ve got Teej-”

“I have Teej? That’s news to me... He’s moved on; he’s got another family, one that he actually wanted, and he doesn’t have enough time for Luca.” Emma argued, “I can’t move on that easily...” Quinn left the room unannounced only to return moments later with her cell phone in hand. She squinted slightly, staring at the screen in sheer conversation. Her fingers began to fly across the screen causing Emma to feel her anxiety bubbling, “What are you doing over there, Quinn? You better not be doing what I think you’re doing.”

The brunette reached to snatch the device from her friend’s hands but failed miserably. “I’m setting you up on a date. The guy is a total sweetheart and I’m pretty sure Luca will love him.”

Emma groaned softly, “You can’t just set me up like that. What if this guy is dangerous or just trying to use us..?”

“I just need you to trust me on this one.” Quinn flashed a smile and tucked her phone back in her pocket, “I invited him over for dinner tonight!”

“Tonight?” The brunette pushed the box off her lap, “Are you trying to kill me?”

Quinn simply winked and squeezed her friend’s shoulder, “Just trying a little bit.”

As Emma watched her friend leave the room, the brunette flopped back onto her mattress and let out a heavy sigh. She ran her hands over her face before rolling out of bed and slowly making her way to the bathroom. While she was getting ready, Quinn ran down to the living room only to find her husband half asleep with his arm hanging off the couch. The blonde walked past the sleeping hockey player and gave him a light pat on the cheek.

Jon stirred slightly before turning over and responding with a soft snore. Quinn shook her head and left the room quietly, leaving her husband to catch up on his sleep. She began heating up the soup sitting on the stove when she heard footsteps behind her. Wearing a pair of dark wash jeans and a worn in band muscle tank, Emma hopped up on the counter and tucked a stray curl behind her ear. Quinn grimaced and set her spoon down.

“You’re joking right?” The blonde studied her friend’s attire of choice, “You’re trying to get a boyfriend and a romp in the sack, not being a bro.”

Emma looked down at her clothes and gave her friend a confused look, “What the hell are you talking about? I’m comfortable! Listen, Quinn, I appreciate what you’re doing for me, but I’m not going to just try and woo someone into my bedroom.” She ran a hand through her hair, “I’ve got to keep my son in mind too. I’m not just single anymore, Q! Just because TJ decided to move on instantly doesn’t mean I will.”

The brunette jumped down and left the room without another word. Her light footsteps were replaced by heavy ones and soon, two paw size hands found their way around Quinn’s waist. Quinn turned in Jon’s arms and rested her head against his chest. Jon dropped a kiss to her forehead and gave her waist a tiny squeeze, “You can’t push her, baby. She’ll get out there when she’s ready.”

“I’m just trying to help... I want her to be happy and that boy deserves a father who actually gives a shit about him.” Quinn mumbled.

Jon couldn’t help but sigh, “As much as I agree with you, getting involved is only going to make matters worse. You know she’ll just do what she wants regardless of what we tell her.” The hockey player took a step back and leaned against the counter, “If she listened to me since day one, things would be totally different, but look how it all played out. Now, we’re blessed with a beautiful godson and we get to see our best friend every single day.”

Quinn simply nodded and thought back to all the times Jon would try and persuade Emma not to be with TJ. She then allowed to let her mind drift back to all the amazing times she had experienced with her godson and all the new things she had learned from the child. If anything, having Luca around helped strengthen the Toews as a couple. Helping raise their godchild was like a test run for Quinn and Jonathan.

Pulling away from her husband and returning to preparing dinner, Quinn began mulling over ways to help her friend find love in a much less forceful way. Only moments later, there was a soft knock on the door. Jonathan pushed off the counter and walked out of the kitchen.

“I’ll get it.” He made his way into the entry way and kicked a stray pair of sneakers out of the walkway before opening the door. “Hey man, glad you could make it. Come on it.” Jonathan held the door open for his guest and stepped aside allowing the man to walk through the doorway.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the slight delay! hope all my fellow 'mercans had a lovely thanksgiving :) let me know what you guys think! quick thanks to everyone who subscribes, comments, and recommends; y'all are awesome! <3