‹ Prequel: Pride
Sequel: Without You

Dark Paradise

nine.

It had been ages since Emma had been on the ice, probably not since the divorce. The feeling of the blades gliding across the slippery surface was much missed. The pair took a few laps around, racing each other, before slowing down their pace and meandering around the rink. Dan reached out a hand and grabbed one of Emma’s from her jacket pocket. It was a small notion but meant much more to the single mother. The only man to hold her hand in the past four years was her son when they were crossing the street or walking around a busy area.

A scarlet blush crept across her face as she felt Dan slowly get closer to her. Their arms were rubbing against each other by the time they finished a lap. “You know, I’m really glad you called me back. I was afraid you wouldn’t for a while there.”

Emma gave a small smile and said, “I’ve been busy I guess. But hey, I’m sure a hockey star like yourself has plenty of ladies to pick from.”

She thought back to all the games in Saint Louis where she would sit in the stands with Kelly Backes and all the other wives. For all the respect that other female fans had for the women, there was equally just as much animosity. It was usually the girls who were barely legal, if that, who would try and stir the pot. Wife to the fan favorite, Emma considered herself an expert at dealing with the colony of bunnies.

“I guess, but I’m getting older now.” Dan laughed, giving her hand a quick squeeze.

The brunette rolled her eyes and gave the hockey player a playful smirk, “Don’t remind me...”

Dan gave a toothy grin, “What I meant is, I’m looking for something long term and I feel like we really connect.”

“Dan..” Emma sighed.

“Just hear me out, yeah?” He waited for a moment and continued as Emma nodded, “I need someone who can deal with the hectic hockey season and ignore shit from online blogs. I need a woman who’s funny and beautiful. She needs to have an amazing taste in music! You’re exactly what I’m looking for- you’re the full package.”

Emma followed Dan off the ice and rubbed a cold hand over her face. A million thoughts ran through her mind as they unlaced their skates and returned them to the rental stand. She studied the hockey player as he stopped for a moment for a few photos. As they stepped outside, Emma involuntarily shook from a chilling breeze running up her spine. Dan took it as the perfect opportunity. He wrapped his muscular arms around her shoulders and pulled the shivering woman close. Emma looked up and gave a small smile. As she opened her mouth to finally give Dan her answer to his question, something incredible happened.

The feeling of Dan’s lips on hers was something so dangerous and unfamiliar. Emma pulled back hastily with her eyes welling up with tears. The hockey player frowned and studied the brunette’s face, “What’s wrong?”

Emma opened her mouth and shut it a few times, staring into Dan’s eyes which mirrored her own in color seemed wrong. “I can’t do this.” She gave him one more long look before taking off down the dark, bustling Chicago streets.


Emma woke up to the sound of her alarm with a start. The buzzing by her ear ceased as she slapped the red snooze button and threw the duvet over her legs. She had spent the remainder of her weekend in the apartment with her son watching movies and playing games. The brunette didn’t touch her laptop or her cell phone in the fear of some sort of contact with either Dan or TJ. Her mind was running in a thousand different directions and all she wanted to do was clear her mind, even if it was only for a moment.

Warm water pellets eased some of the tension in her back as Emma let out a soft sigh, massaging in her conditioner. Going to work was exactly what she needed to do to forget about her awful Friday night. The apartment was still dark as she made her way to the kitchen to start making breakfast for everyone. Around 5:30, Jon slowly made his way into the kitchen and took a seat at the island and watched his friend perambulate through the kitchen.

“You feeling better?” His voice was deep and laced with sleep.

She grabbed two plates and filled them both up with pancakes, “Yeah... I’ll survive. I always do, don’t I?”

“You shouldn’t be just, surviving. You should be living!” Jon spoke through a mouthful of food.

Emma held back a laugh and sighed, “Thanks for your advice, Aristotle.”

Jon shook his head and swallowed, “I mean it, Em. As much as I hate to admit it, I really think you and Teej are meant to be together.”

The brunette coughed, nearly choking on her food. She gasped for air dramatically and washed down her pancakes with a swig of coffee, “What? Did you just say what I think you said? You’ve lost your mind.”

“Shut up.” The hockey player grumbled, “Its just, I haven’t seen you truly happy since you and Teej got divorced.”

Emma pointed her fork at Jonathan, “That’s a lie. I am truly happy anytime I’m with you, and Q, and uh, how about my son!”

“Your son is the splitting image of TJ and you know it. You’ve got this sad, lovesick look on your face anytime you look at that boy. I know you love him, but all, I just think you could be even happier if you, TJ, and Luca were a family... together.” Jonathan finished the last of his pancakes and walked his dish to the sink, “You should spend some time with Teej, just you and him. Maybe you guys can finally just hash everything out.”

“When do I have the time between me working all week and TJ’s erratic hockey schedule? Besides, I can’t keep dumping Lu on you and Quinn.” Emma argued despite knowing what Jon was telling her was true. She really did need to just get everything off her chest, put the past behind them, and move forward, for their son.

Jon was silent for a moment, looking over his schedule on his iPhone, “He’s got a few days off around New Years. Why don’t you fly down there before school starts again?”

“What about Lu?”

The hockey player smiled and turned to leave the room, “Quinn and I can use all the practice we can get before our little munchkin is born.”
♠ ♠ ♠
loving the feedback i'm getting from everyone! <3