Status: I couldn't get into my last story so I wrote this. I apologize to any who read it and hate it.

Close My Eyes

Chapter twenty seven

I ran at the door again but the barrier was as strong as when the man had first placed it. I had been locked in the room for most of the day and I was truly starting to worry about Zanza. I had no doubt that the prince wouldn't hurt her, but he wasn't the one I was worried about. There were hundreds of other people that wold love to get a chance to weaken him. And Zanza was the perfect target for that.
* * * *
The maids led me deep into the depths of the castle. When we reached the spring the prince had been talking about I was glad to find a spirit in the water. The maids left after they were sure I could handle everything myself. Sighing I slid into the water and let my hair hang around me. The spirit sat on a rock and investigated me.
You are the first to come down here in a long time. It said cocking it's head to one side.
"I couldn't stand the other water there was no life in it." I explained letting my head drift farther into the water.
I see. You are the princes lover are you not?
"No. I was brought here against my will. I prefer to be out in the woods. There I am understood." I said imaging the trees that treated me as if I was one of their own.
Tell me about it. I have not been out in the outside world for years. The spirit begged slipping closer.
SO I told her everything about the woods. My home, the creatures that dwelled there, even Noren showed up in the story I told. By the time I finished I felt alone. There were no trees here. There was barely any life inside the cold walls.
You sound sad. The spirit said when I went silent.
"I miss home." I replied.
I soaked in silence and when I finally chose to get out the spirit vanished. As I changed it resurfaced and brought me what looked like a flue made of bamboo.
I have hidden this here. It is the only remainder of the wood that used to surround my home. Take it.
"I couldn't." I said even as my hands reached for the wooden flute.
I gladly give it to you. I can not play it so you must return and play for me some time.
"Thank you."
I hugged the flute close to my body as I left. The way back up took longer then I expected and by the time I finally reached it the sky had darkened. I was walking through once of the halls when something whistled through the air. I plucked the knife that had been aimed at my heart from it and whirled around. A few feet from me was a group of masked men.
"Come with us quietly girl and no one gets hurt." The leader snapped.
From what they'd just done I highly doubted it. Instead I returned the favor. I raced over and knocked the first two unconscious. The third attacked me only to find that I had moved on. I struck the back of his neck and he fell to the floor as I faced the last man. He looked at his comrades unbelieving that I had taken them down. I was preparing to do the same to him when blood exploded from his chest. The prince pulled his fist back as the man dropped to the floor. I had to look away as blood began to pool on the ground.
"Are you alright?" He asked stepping over the body as if he didn't care.
"Why did you do that?" I asked unable to bring myself to look at him.
"They were going to hurt you. I had to do something."
"You didn't have to kill him! Not like that." I felt terrible.
"And why shouldn't I have? He was threatening you. It was either let him attempt to get a shot at you or for me to take him down myself." He said stepping into my vision.
He didn't even seem to mind the fact that there was blood on his hands. I looked away again the smell burned in my nose. When I started to tremble he took off his cloak and draped it over my shoulders. It was at least free of blood.
"Let me take you back to your rooms." He said steering me away from the scene.
"I want to see Noren." I said suddenly longing to see a familiar face.
"As you wish."
He led me to the room where Noren was trapped behind a wall of magic. He couldn't take it down but I felt better just feeling my friend was near. He placed his hands on the wall where I was and said something. I couldn't hear him but I made out what he was asking.
I'm fine. I motioned with my hands.
He nodded then he sat down next to the wall beside me. The prince had left so I pulled out the flute and played it. I had never played before but the memories in the flute told me what to do. The song was mournful it was for the man that had been killed and the freedom that had been robbed from both of us. His freedom to live and mine to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated! Take that world!