Status: I couldn't get into my last story so I wrote this. I apologize to any who read it and hate it.

Close My Eyes

Chapter three

The moment I entered the wood I felt better. I could feel the trees swaying gently in the breeze that was blowing through. Moving through the underbrush I carefully found the trails that would take me to the heart of the wood. It was a nice day to hunt, or to take a walk (which is something only I would do). My staff knocked rocks out of my way as I walked, a few times it hit a tree root almost sending me sprawling on my face.
"You'd think I would be used to finding those by now." I said aloud to no one in particular.
The trees breathed a sigh as I continued walking. This was a good sign, it meant there were no dangerous creatures waiting for me around the next bend. I patted the trunk of one tree as I passed it and for a second I could feel the magic that was coursing through its veins. These woods, my woods as I started to think of them, were alive in a way that no one but me understood.
When I reached the heart of the wood I found the tree that I used as a watch point and climbed it. Halfway up the trunk I felt a tremor run through the ground. Something was coming. Reaching into my pocket I grabbed a piece of rope tying it around my waist and hooking it to the tree so I wouldn't fall out. Then quietly I sank back against the trunk and waited. I didn't have to wait long.
A female giant walked through the wood as I held my breath. She didn't see me but I felt it when she walked past the tree that I was in. Wind rushed around me threatening to pull me out of the harness I had made for myself. I waited until the footsteps echoed only slightly before unhooking myself and climbing the rest of the way.
"I wonder what she was doing out here alone?" The question escaping my lips.
Pulling off my quiver and bow I set them beside me and waited. Sometimes hours would pass by without so much as a rabbit stirring. Sometimes a whole herd would wander through and I would be able to get off a few good shots. This time was an in between. I felt a few rabbits stir and a lone fox dash under my tree, but nothing worth firing at. Finally as the air told me night was approaching I felt the thud of feet walking through. It was a buck. What he was doing alone I couldn't figure, but from the way he moved he was young, strong, plenty for my family to eat. Reaching over I notched an arrows to my bow and drew it back to my ear. I waited until the breeze died down then fired. A strangled cry reached my ears before a thud sounded.
Dead. I had hit its heart.
Climbing down I made my way to my prize. It would be hard to drag him back but I couldn't risk leaving it out here. The smell of blood attracted things that one might want to avoid. Throwing the hind legs over my shoulder I began to long walk back to the house. Just as I reached the edge of the wood though I felt a sudden urgency rush through the trees. I dropped the buck and whirled around expecting to find an ogre or a mountain troll waiting for me. Except there was nothing there.
"I don't understand." I said palming my knife.
Another sense of urgency. Gripping my staff I walked a few feet back into the wood. Where a root should have been I hit something else instead. I poked the thing a few times before leaning down and touching it. Whatever it was it was alive. Although not for long the way its warmth was fading. Then I heard a grunt.
"Ugh."
It was unmistakeably a human voice. I reached up and felt the persons face a picture forming in my mind. Not only did I find a person I had found a man. I was just about to get up and go for help when suddenly my hand was grabbed. Only barely I was able to hold in the scream that rose up in my throat. Only just.
"P-please. Z-z-zanza." A male voice said through gurgles.
"PA!" I shouted fear rushing through my veins.
Why did this stranger who was on the verge of death, know my name!?
♠ ♠ ♠
Alert! Alert! Alert!