Status: I couldn't get into my last story so I wrote this. I apologize to any who read it and hate it.

Close My Eyes

Chapter five

"I asked you a question!" the man barked as I stood there.
"Can I help you gentlemen with something?" A voice rang out behind me.
My pa walked out of the house my brothers trailing behind him. He walked up behind me and placed a hand on my shoulder as if to steady me.
"I have come with a request from the king. He wishes to meet the girl who can enter the forbidden forest. Is she the girl?" The man's voice was even harsher as he addressed my pa.
"No. She is my niece, my brother brung her here so that she could get away." I knew he was looking into the man's eyes as he lied, it was what you needed to do to make sure that someone believes you.
"Is that so?"
"Yes sir it is." The hand on my shoulder tightened, why was pa nervous?
"Fine, but understand that if I must return to this hovel with the knowledge that she is the one we seek then punishments will be in order." With that he kicked his horse and they left.
"Get inside now!" I had never heard pa's voice so low and scared before.
We obeyed, what else was there for us to do? The moment we were inside he barred the door then stood there as my brothers gathered around me. They understood that something had happened out there, something that I couldn't explain. Those men had rattled pa, he had lied to them about me. Why?
"Pa?" I asked uncertainly.
"Zanza take your brothers upstairs. Your mother and I need to discuss something." He sounded defeated as if he already knew the answer to a question that we didn't know.
I nodded although I was sure he couldn't see it, then turned and started pushing my brothers up the stairs. They complained at first, but when I promised to take them to the creek tomorrow if they were good they raced up the stairs themselves. A small smile tugged at my lips but it fell away the moment I remembered pa's voice. What were they talking about? And what did it have to do with me?
Pushing the thoughts from my mind I shoved them into their room then made my way to mine. I had forgotten in all the excitement about the man who was currently occupying my bed. When I entered he was awake.
"I'm sorry is this your room?" He asked through gasps.
"Yes, but you really shouldn't speak. Do you need some water?" I asked walking past the frame of my door.
"That would be nice."
I nodded and headed for the stand by my bed where I knew there was a jug of water and a cup. Pouring it I was aware that his eyes were on me. When I handed him the cup or fingers touched for a moment and I got a shock.
"Strange, usually that doesn't happen." It wasn't an apology but it was close enough to one.
"I'll leave you to rest now." I said bowing my head slightly in his direction.
"No please stay, I get bored easily if I'm left alone with my own thoughts." His voice had improved thanks to the water.
I sat down at the edge of the bed and looked towards the ceiling. Pa had painted it a light blue for me so I could be near the sky even if I couldn't see it.
"Are you truly blind?" The man asked.
"Yes."
"Then how were you able to move so easily?"
"Because I don't need to see to know where everything is. How do you know how to walk?"
"Because I can." He replied mystified.
"Then it's the same."
I paused so he could take in the information that had just given him.Most people didn't get it but he did, I could tell from the way he had answered my question.
"You are a strange one indeed."
"As are you, most people wouldn't brave the forest."
"I was a fool to try, but I needed to find someone." He answered the sound of his hands smacking his forehead reaching me.
"Who?" I asked thought I had my suspicions.
"Zanza, the girl in the wood. You see I'm scholar by trade, and I was hoping she would be able to help me find something." His voice was wistful now.
"What?"
"That I can't tell you. But it could change everything for me." I didn't know what to say to that so I remained silent.
What was it that he needed my help to find? Why did he come here? Even though I didn't say another word my mind worked hard thinking about the man who laid barely a few inches away from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for it being so long. I had to get it all in.