Tears on Ice

1/1

Glittering snow covering the ground and the leafless branches of the trees is possibly one of the most beautiful scenes nature can conjure. With my camera, I took several shots of the frozen river and its toweled trees from where I stood on the also snowy bridge. Winter in Willsdale is like icing on a cake; gorgeous, necessary, classy, and full of individual images. I lowered my camera from my face, enjoying the view for a few more seconds before moving on. Tears River is my favorite place on campus... besides the dark room of course.

I made my way to my dorm, several of my friends waving and saying hello on the walk. I smiled to each one and made sure to ask how they were. Just common courtesy.

"Hey Anna," my roommate greeted cheerfully from her bunk when I opened the door. Our beds were an L-shape, her's on top.

"Good morning, Chelsea."

"Get any good shots?" She asked between a yawn.

I set my camera down on our desk. "Sure did. Plenty of the sunrise. You can look if you want."

"Nah," she rolled her eyes. "They'll all end up on your tack board of glory anyway."

She was referring to the giant and ever increasing square of photos on our wall held up with thumb tacks. Of course, Chelsea was exaggerating. I only put about 90% of my shots on our wall. Some were just too blurry.

"Don't you have class?" I retorted.

"Shit, yeah." Chelsea scrambled to pull on her pants, run a brush through her tangled hair, pop some mints in her mouth, and rush out the door. I just chuckled after her, plopping myself at our desk to work on essay that was due today.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I can help who's next."

I stumbled up to the counter, tripping over my own feet and rather ungracefully swept my hair back with my hand. The guy taking my order raised an amused eyebrow.

"I'll take a large peppermint mocha... and oh! One of those adorable Santa cookies, please."

The guy took one of cookies and place it in a Christmas themed baggie while someone else placed my coffee on the counter. Once he rang up my order on the cash register, the cashier smiled and said "five forty-five, please."

I handed him the money. "I haven't seen you around campus," I blurted, blushing bright red afterwards.

"Just moved." The guy said bluntly, already looking past me for the next customer.

"Oh... well... that's cool," my cheeks burned a thousand degrees hotter. Before I could embarrass myself anymore, I turned and walked out of the cafe. But not before catching a glimpse of the name on his tag. Jeri.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's the first bit. Pretty short, but I don't think either of them will be very long. Hope you like. Let me know what you think :)