The Extraordinarily Normal Life of Kaidan Andrews.

Thanksgiving Dinner

I have a fantastically normal life. A mother and father that are both equally respected by our small village community, my mother being a second grade teacher and my father being the sheriff. I have one older sibling and one younger than me. All in all my life, and my family, is incredibly normal. My parents are pretty lenient in the discipline area. My elder brother, Devin, was the stereotypical high school jock that got a full-ride scholarship to a college of his choice. He now lives three towns away and visits us every holiday. There isn't much to brag about when it comes to my five year old sister Abigail. And well, all that's left is me.
My family wasn't overbearingly religious or anything like that, but my parents went to church on sundays and gave us the option of attending. Which I never did. I tended to stay away from trouble, and people altogether. I'm an average student maintaining a 3.2 gpa each semester. I'm not an allstar athlete like my brother, but I'm not unhealthy. I'm just average. Or at least I used to be.
"Mom, dad. I'm gay." I stopped my mashed potato loaded fork in mid-air. I fought the urge to look at Devin but I did sneak a peek at my father, Kyle Andrews.
"A..Are you sure sweetie? Not just the college experimentation phase?"
I looked at Abigail playing with her yams while humming a tune she learned from her favourite kids show.
"Y-yeah...I'm sure. You both remember Brett from two years ago? Well...we've been dating since then. He proposed to me last night, but he wanted me to come out to the family first before we made the major announcement.
The silence was killing me so I resumed eating, purposefully scraping my fork on my plate.
"As long as my son is happy then I support whatever decision he decides to make." My father had a gift for summing up his feelings into one sentence and closing all discussions thereafter.
"Kaidan?" I swallowed hard on my turkey. "Yes?" Devin was looking at me intensely, "What do you think?" I already knew my brother was gay. I had accidentally seen him and Brett in...extremely physical circumstances. "I support you. You're my older brother, why wouldn't I?" He smiled and resumed his dinner. For the rest of that Thanksgiving we caught up on lost time with Devin and listened to Abigail's second grade adventures.
On that day I never would have suspected that someone would come violently crashing into my life, thus changing it forever. I especially would have never expected them to show up the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I'm using normal names in this story so...um if there's a coincidence in the names I am so sorry...