Status: Just starting up. Comment if ya like:)

The Sounds of a Ghost

three

The younger boy gave his brother a sheepish smile. “I know I'm so early. Sophie asked if I could get you earlier because there's this early dinner thing going on in,” Mike checked the silver watch on his wrist, “forty minutes. You down to go? You can sit next to me and next to Sophie and get to know her. It'll be easier in a group.”
The elder was frozen in place. A dinner with a big group of people meant speaking and speaking meant telling everyone about himself. He couldn't just sit quietly in a big group. There was always someone noisy who needed to know everything.
This idea was much more intimidating then meeting Sophie with just Mike. In that situation Mike could do a lot of speaking for the older boy. He liked that idea. In a big group he would just look dumb if he had Mike talk for him all the time.
“I'd have to talk.”
Mike sighed and ran a hand through his brown hair. “You're going to have to at some point. In a big group, there's always the talkative person. Just ask them a question if you get uncomfortable. I'll point them out to you beforehand. I'll prepare you. Get your bags and let's head out.”
Vic bit his bottom lips but obliged without another word. It wasn't like he really had anything to do. Besides, his brother would never lie to him. Mike wouldn't put him in the type of situation he would be uncomfortable in.
That was why Vic threw his duffel bag into the trunk and sat himself in the passenger seat. Mike revved the engine and drove. Every now and then, Mike would throw comments for Vic to listen to. He'd tell Vic what was happening, what was new. Anything he thought Vic needed to know.
The older boy soaked in the information but he didn't say a word back. Speaking wasn't really his thing, even if he needed practice for the dinner. Vic wasn't keen on conversation, he wouldn't be conversing too much at this dinner. He didn't care if he was supposed to.
“Alright bro, let's do this.” Mike said once he'd parked the car.
The brothers pushed open their doors and walked side by side to the restaurant. It looked nice, slightly fancy. Once they were inside Vic knew he was under dressed in his black jeans and band t-shirt. He looked over at Mike, just now noticing he was wearing a white button-up to go with his black jeans and nice shoes. The elder turned his attention to his shoes glaring slightly at the black TOMS.
“You look fine.” Mike muttered before getting in front of Vic to lead the way to his friends.
Those three words of encouragement did little to help Vic feel better. This was his first impression on everyone who would be at this dinner. He didn't want to look like a schmuck. He wanted to look classy and intelligent, how she used to dress him before dinners.
He'd never really picked out his own formal wear or outing wear. Somehow she'd always find a way to change it until they'd started a system. Vic would put out his clothes at night and before the brunette left for work she'd change the outfit. When Vic had first questioned it she told him first impressions were really just as important as everyone said they were.
Now his first impression here wouldn't be as up to par as it should be. Honestly, he was now even more nervous and scared then he'd been when he was thinking this morning and last night.
These people could be the types to judge based on appearance. They could be the classy people who drove Mercedes and Audis and BMW and nothing less even when they rented a car. These people could be anything. They could hate him because of his tight jeans and dirty shirt; it really hadn't been washed in a while.
Vic stared looking everywhere for an escape. He was scared and worried and nervous and he felt like he was going to puke. His brown eyes wandered the dimly lit restaurant for an escape, anything would do even a window.
“Ow! Space, bro, space.” Mike snapped before turning back to the table Vic hadn't realized they'd gotten to. “If you haven't guessed, this is my older brother Victor Fuentes but just call him Vic.”
A high pitched squeal was let out and a girl in a pink dress got up from the other side of the table. “Oh my gosh, you're so cute! You remind me of my boyfriend Kellin! He's not here tonight, he's working or drinking or something.” The dirty blonde stuck out her hand for Vic who gladly shook it. “Anyway, I'm Sophie. Mike told me you aren't much of a talker which is okay because I happen to be a talker. There are two seats empty next to me. C'mon, I get the Fuentes brothers.” She led the brown haired brothers to her side of the table and sure enough, next to her seat were two empty seats. “Mike told me it might not be such a good idea to place you away so I made everyone sit accordingly.” Sophie whispered to Vic. “Don't feel intimidated, everyone is super kind and excited to meet you. No one will judge you.” In a louder voice Sophie got the table's attention. “Everyone this Vic; Vic this is,” Sophie pointed at the brunette next to her at the head of the table and stated a name Vic didn't focus on. She pointed towards a darker haired boy sitting across from her Vic also didn't pay attention to. She pointed out a black haired girl who was across from Vic and then pointed at a brunette across from Mike who was already in a conversation with Mike and then sighed. “She's always late. That's our next-door neighbor at my apartment. She's a sweetheart but always late. Her name's Alexandria, but call her Lexi. She doesn't go by Alex, too much like a boy name.”
Vic turned to look at Mike who had the conversation he'd previously been in to focus on Vic's as soon as Alexandria had been introduced. He was giving Sophie a stern look who in turn rolled her dark green eyes.
“I can't have a dinner party without my best friend. Besides, he was going to meet her soon. She lives next to me and I live in an apartment building and she doesn't have a job! Bitch is always home.”
“Who's a bitch?!”
Vic's brown eyes focused on a girl with long dyed brown hair. She wore a grin on her face as she moved towards Sophie.
“Sorry, I'm late. I won't lie, I completely forgot about this.” She laughed a melodic laugh as she kissed her best friend's head. The brunette kept moving to her seat at the other end of the table. She sat down and immediately signaled over a waiter. “I'll take two Sex on the Beach.”
Vic watched the girl with interest. She seemed to control the table as everyone else just went along with this. Vic took a simple water with lemon before continuing to study the girl. This Alexandria wasn't nicely dressed as Sophie was, she was wearing simple tight black skirt, a white shirt that said “DRESSED TO KILL TOUR” in black type. She was wearing a black blazer over and a fancy gold necklace.
“Whoa, who ordered fucking water?!”
Mike wore an amused grin even though he'd just been interrupted by the outgoing girl. “My brother, Vic.”
Alexandria immediately bit her lip, seeming to decide whether or not to continue with what she was going to say. She eyed her best friend and then looked at the unfamiliar boy. The brunette shook her head and motioned for the waiter to leave.
“I didn't order, Lex.” Mike informed her.
“Ah, Mike, you are something else! You can have one of my drinks if that stupid boy makes sure to bring them both out at the same time.”
Mike chuckled at the girl before going back into conversation with the girl sitting across from him. Alexandria sat back and listened quietly, not taking part but rather observing instead. She seemed uninterested in talking a lot, just simply interested in listening and observing.
Sophie propped up her chin on her palm. “Ryan, remember college?!” The darker haired boy smirked and nodded as if he knew what she was talking about already. “Oh my gosh, and you too, Lexi!”
At this point, the whole table was immersed in whatever Sophie seemed to be talking about. There were smiles on everyone's face except Vic's. He was confused. He felt completely out of place. Vic had no idea what story was being started or what happened in college. He didn't even know what college all of them had gone to.
Alexandria focused on Vic. Confusion was etched on his face which made Alexandria smile slightly. The boy was very pretty. He had muscle but it was too big. He was tiny and skinny with brown, slightly wavy, hair down to his shoulders. Like her, the boy wasn't dressed up as he was supposed to be.
“We all went to Yale together and had some nice times.” Alexandria informed Vic with an amused smile on her face. Her dark blue eyes went to Sophie who immediately launched into story after story about their college days.
Vic was informed about everything. She didn't hold on and she certainly didn't mind being embarrassed. Sophie seemed to enjoy being the center of attention, she seemed to be absolutely wonderful at being the center of attention. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. She was good at making everyone have a good time.
The waiter gave them their drinks and Alexandria asked for her other Sex on the Beach for Mike and a drink mixed with Red Bull drink for herself. She claimed it was the best drink in the world after the waiter was gone with that order and the food orders.
“Alright Sophie, we know it's killing you not to continue.” The brunette across from Mike smirked teasingly at her friend who gladly started up the story again much to everyone's amusement, even Vic's.
Vic took a quick liking to the dirty blonde beside him. Her stories were amusing and she kept the subject away from Vic. It was obvious Mike had given her a talking to considering that she seemed like the curious type. Vic wasn’t complaining though, he liked that she kept everyone’s eyes off him including her own.
“Where did you go to college, Vic?” Alexandria asked once Sophie was done talking.
“UCLA,” Vic replied without hesitation in a seemingly rude manner.
Sophie stared at Alexandria for a few moments, silence taking over the table. With her eyes, she was trying to tell Alexandria not to talk to Vic again. Alexandria was trying to be polite, that was obvious, but Vic wasn’t who she should try to be polite with.
“So what’s everyone having?” Mike asked once he saw the appalled look on Alexandria’s face.
♠ ♠ ♠
this took forever and it's not very good. i apologize.
another chapter out tomorrow. it'll be better, hopefully.
comment if you're feelin' it. wanna know if y'all are still diggin' it.

x