Status: Uploading chapters one by one in different pieces.

Peace, Love, and Manson

Chapter Three

I sit at home, trying to do my science homework, but I can’t. I can’t stop thinking about what Arthur said and suggested, let alone define a single celled organism and list three examples.

I throw my science book in my bag angrily and turn the T.V. off, stomping to my room. I hear my dad yell something at me, along the lines of “Quiet down”, but he’s so drunk I can’t understand. I slam my door and lay out a pair of pajamas on my bed, going into the bathroom and letting the shower water warm as I brush my teeth.

After I’m done with my shower, I brush my hair and head back to my room in nothing but a towel. My dad is at the kitchen table, his feet propped up on it. My mother would be going absolutely insane if she was here, but she’s at work. Arthur would quietly scold him, but he’s out with Ashley again. My dad would probably ignore him anyways.

He must hear me come out, because he mumbles, “Clem.” I hate that name, and he must know that.

“What?”

“Come here.”

“I… I have to get dressed, but then I will, okay?”

“No. Come here now.”

I hesitate before sitting down at the kitchen table across from him, drawing the towel around myself tighter.

“How’ve you been?” He asks, his eyes glazing over.

“Why do you care all of a sudden?” I snap.

I know I sound like a total bitch, but I’m very angry when it comes to my father and what he’s done for this family, which is nothing. I honestly don’t know why my mother and father are still together. It’s probably because they don’t know what they would do without each other. I feel like my dad would be fine, but Mom wouldn’t. She wouldn’t know how to function without bailing him out of jail for his constant bar fights and cleaning him up when he vomits on himself.

“Because I’m your father.”

“You sure as hell don’t act like it.”

He pulls a cigarette out of his pocket, lights it, and exhales. There’s a long pause as he takes a few puffs. “You look pretty, Clementine.” He says.

“Thank you, but I’m going to go to bed,” I get up to leave.

“Did I say you could fucking leave?”

I look at him for a moment, my eyebrows creasing.

“I said sit down!”

I do, frightened.

“Take your towel off.”

“Dad!” I shout, not knowing what else to say.

He leans forward, spitting in my face. “Listen here, you ungrateful little bitch, you do what I say when I say it or I’ll beat you senseless.” He grabs my jaw and the look in his eyes scare me more than anything in the whole entire world. I shudder as the tears come immediately. He kisses me passionately, pushing his tongue against mine. I pull away quickly.

“Dad, please.” I gasp, stumbling back out of the chair. I make a run for my room. I don’t make it far until my dad tackles me, forcing all of his weight on to me. He takes my towel off and tries to talk sweet to me, but I don’t listen. I can’t. I’m really crying now.

“You’re so beautiful, Clem,” He whispers into my ear, kissing down my neck.

“Please… no…” I whimper. I smell the alcohol on his breath.

“So pretty,” He brushes my hair back and slips his hand up my thigh, which makes me cry more.

“No… please.”

I can hear his fly unzipping.

In that exact moment, I am saved. Thank God, I am saved. I hear the front door open. I let out a long scream and I can hear footsteps coming down the hall.

“Dad! What the fuck!” I’ve never been so happy to hear Arthur’s voice in my life.

My father’s weight is lifted off of me and I let out a long cry.

“Arthur…” I can hear him thinking, trying to come up with an explanation. I get off of the floor and tuck myself into a nearby corner, watching him and Arthur closely. I’ve never seen Arthur so angry and hurt in my life.

“What are you doing to her?” Arthur’s voice rises.

“I’m just… I…”

“Clementine, go to your room,” Arthur’s voice is suddenly serious and flat, he’s looking down and I swear I can see steam coming out of his ears. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him call me by my full name before.

“But…” I sniffle.

“God dammit, Clementine, just go to your room.”

So I do.

I know I’m not staying here. I can’t. I can’t sleep knowing that my dad is in the next room. What will he try to do to me? Kill me, so I can’t tell Mom? He wouldn’t do that. Would he? He wouldn’t.

Instead of throwing on pajamas, I put on an oversized gray sweater and plain black pants. Throwing my hair in a quick braid, I quick pick up the phone in my room, a Christmas present from my dad. I let out a small cry as Ramona’s number is dialing.

“Hello?”

“Ramona?” I try to make my voice sound as neutral as possible.

“Tiney? Are you okay?” I can hear the concern flood her voice.

“No,” I choke out.

“What happened?”

“I don’t… I don’t exactly know myself. I just… I need a place to st-…”

“Come over. Now.” She hangs up.

I stuff the majority of my clothes in a duffel bag, knowing I probably won’t be coming back in a
while. I hear muffled screams coming from the hallway and I cringe, my father’s voice pleading. The screams stop and I open the door slightly.

“Arthur?”

“Come out.”

I do, and I bring in a huge gasp.

My father is lying on the floor, his eyes closed. There’s blood gushing from his nose and there’s a
black bruise forming under and around his eye.

“Okay. Shit. Arthur. We need to go over to Ramona’s.”

“What are we going to do at Ramona’s?”

“Would you rather stay here?”

“Yeah. Okay.”

I wait in the car, turning the radio on when I can’t handle the silence anymore. It’s that song again. The song I heard with Arthur just hours ago.

Do, don't you want me to love you
I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you
Tell me, tell me, tell me, come on tell me the answer
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer.

We sneak in through Ramona’s bedroom window. I’m lying down on her bed with her while Arthur lies on the floor, insisting he’s comfortable.

“So what are you going to do when you have to go home?” Ramona asks, raking through my hair.

“I’m not.”

“Tiney, don’t be stupid. You have to go home some time.”

There’s a long pause while everyone thinks.

“Unless we… run away?” Arthur suggests. I can hear the grin in his voice.