The Lost Generation

Chapter One

Loud sirens blared through the halls. Alina opened her ice blue eyes, the red lights on the ceiling of her room flashing bright. She stumbled out of her bed and quickly grabbed a bag and started stuffing everything important to her in it. Next, she tore into her sister’s room, her limp body still lying in bed.

“Mira, get your butt out of bed. The sirens are going off, can’t you hear?” Alina hollered over the shrill sound, proceeding to grab one of her sister’s bags and filled it up with valuables.

Mira jumped out of bed and started helping her sister. Alina was a short 17 year old, only reaching a height of 5’1”. Her wavy black hair hit her small waist and her icy blue eyes were enough to catch any one's attention. Mira was nearly identical to her older sister with the same dark hair.
However, hers was pin straight and only hit a little past her shoulders. She was much younger, only the age of 10.

Alina grabbed Mira’s hand and pulled her to the window. She strapped both of them in bungee jackets and looked over at Mira, “Ready for this?” Fear filled her eyes as she slowly nodded her head. “Hey, it’ll be okay. I promise.” She held out her hand and together the sisters jumped.

They could see the whole city as they navigated away from the tall castle. From the vast forest that filled in along the north side to their small market that took up the south side. The two girls where of royalty, both too young to be of authority, but surely they would rule someday. They were both brought up with the highest education, being taught everything from normal studies to how to act at a formal dinner. They’ve also been trained on what to do when the sirens go off.

They finally approached the ground and released themselves from the jackets. As soon as they were free, they took off running. They ran past the gates of the entrance to the castle, past the park just outside, and towards the beach house.

“Alina…can we slow down? I can’t keep up.” Mira gasped, catching her breathe as they ran through the sand.

“I’m sorry Mira, we should have took the other way. It wouldn't have been so hard to run through.” She slowed down her pace. “Here get on my back.”

Mira jumped up onto Alina’s back and Alina kept running, doing her best to keep up her normal speed. After a few minutes they reached their destination. The beach house was designed to be a safety house for the castle. If anyone threatened the castle, the alarms would go off, and they were to meet in the beach house. Alina set Mira onto the ground and went to type in the code.

Error.

Alina stared at it horrified. She had memorized the code a dozen times, she couldn’t have forgotten it. She proceeded to type it in again.

Error.

Something definitely wasn't right. That’s when she heard the scream of her little sister and felt arms go around her waist. Alina’s self-defense kicked in. She threw her elbow into the mystery person’s chest and dug her nails into his hand. The person staggered back, out of breathe. Next she went after the man with her sister. She lifted her palm and hit him squarely in the nose, a move designed to make him pass out. She grabbed Mira’s arm and yanked it, dragging her sister with her. They ran as fast as they could, not knowing where they were going.

About a half hour later Alina stopped and looked down at her feet, wishing she would have thought to grab shoes in the rush of everything. She looked down at her sister’s feet and sighed with relief when she saw shoes on her sister’s feet. They were both breathing heavily and every muscle hurt in Alina’s body. Their faces were scratched up from tree branches and Mira cried out in agony every time she tried to move her arm. Alina had no idea what to do. For the first time in her life she felt alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is totally unedited, editing comes later after I've written my 50,000 words.