Haloed Wings

Chapter Three

Image

She could feel it; eyes watching her every move. It had been like this for a few weeks now. Wherever she went, they followed. Predatory, possessive. She wanted to confront their owner, but it was impossible. She had no idea where they were coming from; up, down, left or right? For all she knew, the person was watching her from the heavens. But why would someone do that? She hadn't committed a crime that was known to be watched for. Or maybe it was the fact that the guy at Domino's the one day saw her food disappear. She shuddered, glancing around.

What if somebody else had saw? I could be in big trouble... Heart stuttering frantically against her chest, her eyes glanced around the practically empty street. Who could be watching her? Where are they hiding?

The wind took the chance to blow then, taking her hair with it. The air was chilly, growing colder by the minute as winter started to come forth. Evangelina hugged her jacket tighter around her body, shivering against the coolness of it. And suddenly, she thought of an idea. It was brilliant.

* * *


“Gabriel, I call upon thee. Appear before me.”

A burst of smoke filled the room, shielding the male who had just appeared out of nowhere. His face was darkened by the hood currently residing on his head, the opened cloak flowing behind his body. The hood was lowered, the man's dark, intense gaze locking on her own. His dark, almost jet black hair was short, coming to rest right above the tips of his ears. A thin line was what could be seen of his lips, the rest of his features otherwise emotionless, revealing nothing.

The smoke cleared, revealing a white button down shirt with blue lining the sleeves, collar and hem. His Trousers were dark, almost black, clashing against the white of his shirt. The pant legs were tucked into black combat boots.

A small smile curved upon his lips at Evangelina's dark look. “Hello, Evangelina. What brings me here today?”

“Formal as always, Gabriel. You should visit the human world more often. It could change a few things.”

“Formality is the way I do things. The way we do things. You would do well to come back, Evangelina.”

She sighed, heavily, then walked forward. He knew what was coming before she reached him. Their arms wrapped around each other, her head resting against his chest. “If I could, I would. However, I love the human world too much to leave it behind. Someone's gotta stay and protect the defenseless humans, right?”

“Correct. You make a good Earth Angel, Evangelina,” he responded, arms tightening around her small frame. “I am worried about you, though. What if someone would catch you off guard one day?
You could be severely hurt.”

“I will be fine, Gabriel.”

A soft, comforting silence filled the air, Evangelina gathering her thoughts. “You know, Gabriel, if I were a human, I would have chosen you as my guardian angel.”

Hands came up to cup her shoulders, pushing her back gently. His dark gaze once again locked onto hers. “I know you would have. And that is something I am afraid of.”

“What is it, Gabriel? What are you, the strongest angel I know, afraid of?”

“Of falling in love with you.”

It was her turn to be shocked. Never before had she heard him speak this way. Not even up in the heavens. True, it was not forbidden for angels to fall in love with each other. Nor was it forbidden for them to be together. But this was something unexpected.

“Gabriel--”

“No, put it out of your mind, Evangelina. What was it you called me for?”

The change of subject was abrupt. It was even more surprising than his confession. Dammit! Her eyes narrowed as she pulled herself out of his embrace. His hands fell to his side, the emotions on his face playing fast. First rejection, then confusion, finally nothing. She didn't understand it. Why, if he was going to say that, did he not pursue it? “Please do not change the--”

“It was something not meant to be heard. Especially by your ears.” Fingers twitched, then curled into tight fists. “I am ashamed of the fact that I even let it escape my lips.”

Hurt flashed across her face then. She backed up, withdrawing into herself immediately, as she had done so many times before. “Are you ashamed of me, Gabriel?” The words were a whisper, barely able to be heard. But those words slammed into him hard than any blade could. They cut deep.

“No, of course not. I could never be ashamed of you. It just is not meant to be.”

“Not meant to be?” she whispered. “How could you possibly know that when you haven't even tried? You say all of this stuff, yet this is the first time you've ever gotten close enough to tell me that you love me!” Tears filled her eyes, but she refused to allow them to fall. Truth was, she had fallen in love with him years ago. It was one of the reasons she left the heavens in the first place. “You hide in a shell, as if you're afraid of me. I will never understand it. Why, when I've treated you so well, would you purposely leave me?”

“Evangelina,” he whispered, “I.. have to go.”

Her gaze locked onto his, a tear escaping, holding him in place for a moment too late. “No...” She sprang forward, wrapping arms around his neck tightly, as if she could hold him there. Lips came down on his.

Eyes widened, arms moved to wrap themselves around her waist, to pull her against his body, only to still. This wasn't something that could happen.

She fell forward, catching herself on the arm of the couch. He'd disappeared. He'd left her. Just as he had done so many years before. The tears fell freely now. “Gabriel, I-I love you too...”

* * *


He felt almost bad for spying on her. But what could someone do, really? He was bored, had followed her to her house, only to see a scene that pretty much broke his own heart. Phoenix shook his head, disappointed. If the blasted angel had given in, everything would be fine.

The girl turned then, eyes meeting his. They widened for a split second. Oh crap. “Who are you?” he saw her mouth. A small, almost impeccable smile appeared on his lips as he shook his head. It was not time. Not yet.

His mind latched onto hers, pushing into her thoughts. However, he ignored those. The only thing he was there for was to erase anything having to do with him. “You saw nothing, you imagined it. Your love leaving has you hallucinating. Maybe you should sleep.”

Sleep. I'm tired. Sleep sounds nice right now.


He slipped into the darkness, leaving her now. He would give her a chance to ignore the eyes that constantly watched her every move.

* * *

“Gabriel, catch me! Come on!” a seven year old Evangelina called out. Her voice was high pitched, adorable. Shorter black hair whipped around her face as she ran. Ran from the nine year old angel chasing her.

A wide grin matched her own, laughter spilling from his throat. “I am going to get you, Evangelina. And then, guess what I am going to do?”

She turned her head, watching over her shoulder. “What are you going to do, Gabriel?” Small, white feathered wings fluttered behind her body, just enough to take her an inch off of the ground and into the air.

Eyes softened at her loud, contagious laughter. “I am going to kiss you.”

“Ew, gross! Nuh uh!” she called back, face contorting.

He barked out a laugh at the way she looked. A smile mixed with a look of disgust. Anyone would laugh at that. It was pure fun. “It is not gross. Once you try it, it's wondrous!” He was playing with her, drawing her out. Truth is, he'd fallen for her from the beginning.

“You're lying!”

“Angels cannot lie, remember?”

Shock filled her face then, understanding dawning. It was enough for him to catch up and wrap arms around her waist. She struggled against him, laughing, going silent when he placed a soft kiss against her forehead.

“I love you, Evangelina.”


* * *

Dried up tears streaked her face. In all honesty, she was a mess. Puffy, red eyelids made her eyes appear larger than they were. Shaky hands came up to brush the dried tears from her cheeks. Never before had she understood the mess a woman put herself in over a man. But now it seemed impossible not to understand.

The love someone feels for another is heartbreaking. Especially when the man walks out on the woman, after saying he loves her too...
♠ ♠ ♠
Third chapter! I'm really proud of this one. Lots of emotions. :3