Haloed Wings

Chapter Six

Image

December 7, 2013

Today was one of those days. The ones where no one wanted to get up out of bed, where you just want to lie down, curl into a ball and cry. Except, when the tears refused to appear, what could you do?

Evangelina sat in her bed, the blankets pooled around her legs. Hair fell over her shoulder, shielding her face from view. A soft shudder went through her body, a silent sob. One without tears. Mistle rose her head from her bed on the floor and whimpered for her owner. She stood, shaking her body, fur and dust flying through the room, and padded toward Evangelina. Her head was placed on top of her knee, big brown eyes gazing sorrowfully up into Evangelina's.

“Oh, Mistle, do you know what today is?” she whispered, reaching a hand over to softly rub behind her ears. When Mistle gave no indication that she was going to respond in any way, she continued, “Today is the anniversary of my parent's deaths.” Mistle leaned her head into her hand, emitting a small whimper.

Without warning, Evangelina stood, Mistle taking a step back in question. She ran a hand through her hair, feeling the soft tangles from laying in bed for so long. Glancing down at her body, she took in the disheveled clothing and sighed. With a simple thought, a plain red v-neck appeared, along with dark blue Jeans and black boots with a thin line of black fur lining the top.

A brush then appeared in her right hand, allowing her to brush the tangles from her hair. She certainly wasn't human, but she liked to act and appear like she was. What difference did it make, having wings and not? She did love her wings, though, but she figured that she could live without them. It wasn't like she fended off that attacker with some super strength or something. She had acted normal, accordingly. The death threat had probably been a little overboard, but she was not going to let an innocent women get raped or killed when he knew that she would come after him. It was a promise, not a threat. And promises were made to be kept.

* * *


Dear Mom and Dad,

I know that you are looking down on me from somewhere. You aren't actually in the heavens; I'm not sure where you guys really are. The heavens aren't where a person goes when they die. That's just for the angels. But since you guys were already angels, well... I miss you two. You were my two favorite people. You know, on this day, I always wonder what happened to my older brother. He was the one who taught me how to fend for myself. And without his lessons, I wouldn't know how to do anything. Mom, Dad, where is he? Where has he gone? I miss all of you.

Love,
Evangelina


She sighed and closed her journal. A journal of letters, that's what it was. Nine years ago, her brother had disappeared after her parents had gotten killed. That had killed her most of all, losing the one person she had been closer to than others. She wasn't even as close to Gabriel as she was him. Storm, where are you? I could really use you right now.

* * *


Luke stepped off of the last stair, glancing to his left at the man who had given him his mission. The mission to reveal himself as the killer. It was risky. But then, so were all of the missions. None of them, though, had ever entailed this.

The man stepped forward, his arms behind his back, his face showing no expression. It was blank, emotionless. Not once had he ever showed his emotions to Luke, or anyone, for that matter. “Why feel?” he had once said to Luke. “Feelings reveal your every move. You need to cast those emotions aside and use the cold demeanor to get around. If you were to fight someone, and you showed a single ounce of anger, they could use that to their advantage. Remember this, Lucas. It will do you well.”

“Have you accomplished your assignment?” he asked, voice cold, calculating.

Luke never once blinked, only nodded. “I have, Michael.” To this day, Luke had no idea if Michael was his real name. He didn't know a single thing about him. It was rare that he ever revealed a personal thing about himself.

Michael nodded. “Very well. How did it go?”

“Allow me to show you.” Stepping forward, Luke placed his fingers against Michael's temple, projecting the missions' status into his head. After a few minutes went by, Luke dropped his hand to his side and took a step back. “And so you see. It went well.”

“Mm... You have not violated anything. I never said you couldn't antagonize Evangelina. However, I wish I would have.”

Arching a perfect brow, Luke replied with, “Why?”

Michael shook his head, turned and walked away, dismissing Luke.

Furrowing his brows, the corners of Luke's mouth tipped down as he watched Michael's retreating back. I am going to get to the bottom of his relationship.

* * *


Phoenix had never dreamed of kissing his angel. As much as he hated angels, he could have never imagined even touching her. But they say things happen for a reason, right? And they certainly did not say angels were perfect for no reason. Her body had fit against his perfectly. It was slightly odd.

Reaching a hand up, he pulled a girl move and touched his lips, which were now tingling from the memory. “Dammit,” Phoenix growled.

The weirdest thing was that he wanted to see her. Why did he have to feel this weird connection with her? Narrowing his eyes, Phoenix glared at the floor. It made him want to punch something. Of course, he didn't want to put another hole in his wall. He had just repaired the one. A smile curved onto his lips at the memory. Punching things was fun. That's what he wanted to do. Go out and punch something. Perhaps someone.

* * *


She was pretty much ignoring the world right now. Which could be a bad thing when it comes to walking on the streets. She lived in Winchester, Connecticut. It was a smaller city, with an average population of eight thousand, nothing like New York City or Vegas. However it wasn't small enough for everyone to know everyone around. People came and went all the time. Not a lot of crime went on, either, just enough to be heard about once every two weeks. It wasn't anything like Cleveland, Ohio, where crimes were heard about every day.

Twirling in a circle randomly, she wished she could feel some joy on this day. Sighing wistfully, she gave up and continued walking, wondering what her destination would be today. Shopping would be boring. She could go to a food place, but she wasn't hungry. Cocking her head to the side, deep in thought, she knew suddenly what she was going to do today.

* * *


Gripping a fourteen pound ball in her hands, she walked forward and threw the thing down the lane, hitting the pins. She watched as eight fell down, leaving two by themselves next to each other. She pursed her lips in response, not liking the result. The ball return gave the black and blue swirled ball back and she picked it up, once again throwing it down the lane, hitting the two pins and getting a Spare.

She watched as the pins were cleared off of the lane and reset. She went to grab her ball again, only to yelp in surprise when hands came to rest on her hips and lips found her throat.

“U-Um excuse me...,” she stuttered, moving to leave the person's arms, only to find them like a steel cage. A deep chuckle resonated against her back, the arms loosening and finally releasing her. She whirled around to face her attacker, only to have her breath caught.

“Hello, gorgeous,” Phoenix's deep voice spoke as he gave her a sexy grin.

“What are you--” she started, only to be cut off by his lips. The kiss was hot, searing and left her gasping. When he stepped back, he gave her another sexy grin. “--doing here?”

A shrug. “I followed you, of course.”

“Why would you--”

“Hi. Are you here with anybody?” A petite looking blonde stepped up next to them, completely ignoring Evangelina.

Phoenix's grin faltered for a split second. “Can you not see this gorgeous woman standing next to me?”

The girl didn't even glance at her. “What woman?”

His eyes flashed, anger entering, grin completely disappearing. “Miss, I would like to give you a little tip.” He pointed to Evangelina, waiting until her eyes followed his finger before getting in her face, speaking once again, “When there's a gorgeous girl obviously better looking than you are, step aside because there's probably a reason the man is with her.”

The blonde gasped in outrage. “How dare you say that to me?”

A simple smirk appeared on his lips, “Maybe you should have opened your eyes before coming over here. If you can't take the heat, don't dish it out.” He moved back over to Evangelina, completely snubbing the girl. “So,”--he glanced up at the scoreboard--“how about you finish this game and allow me to step in?”

Warmth spread through Evangelina. She liked a man who fought for a woman, especially when they could leave the girl at any moment. Not that they were together or anything. Which...kind of confused her. Why would he bother with her when they weren't together? A smile graced her lips. “Sure, why not?”

“Are you two even...together?” The blonde was apparently still there, watching them closely.

Hazel eyes narrowed in response, lips thinning in anger. “You--”

Evangelina placed a hand over his lips, silencing his words. “Hello, Blondie. Can you do me a favor and go back to your slutty little friends over there? I don't think the miniskirt and bra are doing it for you. Try putting a little more clothes on and maybe a guy will be turned on more. Go on, you can do it.”

Her green eyes widened in response, her body tensing. “You—you bitch!” she squealed before lunging. Evangelina didn't even blink. She took a step back and threw her fist forward, connecting it with Blondie's nose. Blood sprayed as a satisfying crunch was heard. Another squeal, a gasp in pain. Her “friends” rushed over, concerned for her well-being.

“Oh no, Tiara!” a brunette gasped, gathering the girl in her arms as she sobbed pathetically. “How could you do this to our friend?”

“Last I checked,” Evangelina responded, “it's called self-defense. Maybe you should look up its definition. Then maybe, you'd understand.” Behind her hand, she could feel Phoenix's lips curve up into a grin.

He removed it and pulled her forward, into his arms and kissed her again. “You are so sexy.”

“Thank you. Now, our game.”

* * *


A lot of laughter, kisses and fun later, the two walked out of the bowling alley holding hands.

“You know what I still cannot get over?” Phoenix suddenly said.

“What's that?”

“You breaking Tiara's nose.”

“It felt good,” she responded thoughtfully. “She certainly deserved it. And she needed to learn her place.”

“I'dunno. I thought you deserved being lunged at. You did call her a slut,” he responded, a serious expression on his face.

Evangelina glared at him until he broke out into a huge grin. “You're funny.”

“What about charming?”

“No, I don't think so. You lack in that expertise. Maybe I could teach you a thing or two.”

“You?” he asked incredulously. “What the hell do you mean, I lack in that expertise? I happen to think I'm very charming.”

“Maybe you do, but I happen to think that you suck. And remember, it is the women that are important. Or,”--she feigned shock--“are you gay?”

“Shut up,” he replied, playfully smacking her arm. “But seriously.”

“You charmed the socks off of my feet. That better?”

“I guess.” He put his head down, sulking.

She leaned over and kissed his cheek, earning a small smile in response. “You're cute.”

“Cute? Cute! I-I thought I was sexy...”

“Oh shush. You're adorable, cute, funny, charming and fine, sexy.” Her smile faded, realization dawning on her. “Phoenix, I need to ask you an important question. Do not avoid it and answer honestly.”

“Okay...,” he said slowly.

“How did you know that I am an angel?”

His face drained of all color at that moment. His mouth opened and closed, did it again, acting as if he were a fish. Obviously the response wasn't going to be a good one. Evangelina crossed her arms in response, cocking a brow, waiting. “Because I...” Hazel eyes closed slowly, refusing to watch her reaction. “I used to be an angel.”

Cocking her head to the side, she placed hands on her hips, replying with, “You are a human? Wait, but then that still does not answer my question. If you were a human, then how would you be able to sense my powers?”

“I'm not a human either.”

“I do not understand... if you're not an angel, and you're not human, then... oh.” The answer came to her, shocking. It sent her jaw dropping and she took a few steps backward, away from him. “What—what was your crime, Phoenix? Why are you a Fallen now?”

“I am sorry, Evangelina. But you know that that is classified information. I cannot reveal that to you, to anyone. Only the higher up angels are allowed to know my status, my reasoning. However, I do not believe that I deserved my status, but please, do not ask again.”

“I understand,” she responded softly. But she couldn't look at him. It was impossible to right now. She couldn't believe she had never asked before. This man, this Fallen, a creature that she is meant to steer clear away from, has been with her all day, making her laugh, smile, on a day that she had wanted to die on. He had saved her from certain death. There was no doubt in her heart that this man had ever harmed a human. He was too good. Too sincere, too trusting. Yet there was something off about him. Something she could not place. Whatever it was though, she would learn to ignore it, because she would go against the rules. She would be with this man, this one who had protected her and watched her for so long. Glancing over at him, she noticed that he still appeared worried. Did he honestly think that she would turn her back on him and run away? Probably. Many have probably done it before.

“I understand if you don't wish to see me anymore, Evangelina,” he spoke softly, glancing over at her finally. When he saw her look of surprise, he rose his head. “Why do my words surprise you, Evangelina?”

“Honestly, Phoenix, I was just thinking about the consequences. I was thinking about the fact that I am supposed to steer away from Fallens and never interact with them. However, my parents were murdered on this day, and you are the one who chose to spend time with me and make everything better, without knowing. You did not do it out of kindness, you did it because you wanted to, even knowing that I am a heavenly being. I cannot see any part of you being bad or horrible. I cannot see you harming a single human. You are one of pure happiness. You saved me from death, watched me to make sure I would not die. I have taken this time to judge you, and I have judged you as amazing. I will not run away, Phoenix. No, I will stay with you. And, if you wish, we can be together, officially,” she responded, shocking him with her speech.

“Thank you,” he responded. “Also, I accept your offer.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate not having readers. It makes me sad. :c