Temptation

Never Meant to Hurt Your Feelings

Later that night, Tyler found himself at the first football game of the season. Sitting with a couple of his friends, Cassie and Sarah, he was actually explaining football to them. They were girls, so naturally sports weren’t their thing. They had came with Tyler tonight thinking that sports wouldn’t be his thing either, since he was gay and all…but were pleasantly surprised when he started explaining the game to them. They also spent time with him considering their mutual friend Melissa, Ty’s best friend, had a lot of homework that night and couldn’t attend the game.

They’d just finished watching a two-point conversion, the score now being 16-14. It was late in the fourth quarter, so all the defense had to do was steal the ball back, make a field goal worth three points and then take a kneel at the ten second mark or so and they’d win. It was basic football science for Tyler but the girls of course, were a little confused. As he continued to explain—he noticed Seth Mitchell starting to walk up the bleachers towards them.

“Can I help you with anything?” Tyler asked and Seth looked between the girls who were there with Tyler…they kind of got the idea to disappear for a few minutes, so they told Tyler they were going to get a coke before the line filled up at the concession stand at the end of the game. Seth took a seat next to Tyler after the girls were no longer in sight.

“I heard you explaining the game to the girls.” Seth said as he took a sip of his Mountain Dew. Tyler merely shrugged.

“So? Wanting to steal them so you can explain it better?” Tyler questioned and Seth merely shook his head.

“I don’t know anything about football. Just cause I’m a straight guy doesn’t insinuate I would,” he retorted.

“Just because I’m gay doesn’t mean that I don’t—either.” Tyler snark-ed.

“Touche,” Seth replied and nodded his head. “I thought maybe you would explain it to me, if I asked nicely enough… I mean, I feel stupid but I’ve actually been cheering for the other team at times…” his voice trailed off when Tyler started to laugh.

“You’re that bad at football knowledge? Did your Dad not teach you anything?” Of course Tyler had no idea how bad Seth’s home situation was. Even Tyler’s father, a devout Catholic, loved his Football. Oh my. Tyler was sure he was in the crowd, somewhere. “Alright, look.” Tyler said as he began to explain the last play to Seth. It was down to twenty seconds left on the board, they were taking their last run towards the touchdown area…and amazingly enough, they pulled one off. Marshall County won the game 22-14.

The game wrapped up and Tyler found himself walking down the bleachers with Seth right behind him. “Are you following me?” He asked and Seth shrugged his shoulders.

“What are you doing tonight? Plans wise?” Seth asked and Tyler gave him a dose of his own medicine…

“Nothing that involves you,” he rolled his eyes and simply walked off. Tyler didn’t leave the football stadium right away however. He talked amongst friends, had a soda or two, and a salted pretzel with cheese. He listened to the marching band play, but mainly his spot was underneath the bleachers, where he was obscure from everyone at that point. That’s when Seth found him, again.

“Would you please quit avoiding me?” Seth asked of Tyler, watching as the gay-male ate a pretzel. “It’s like I’m the plague to you or something. You’re treating me worse than I treat you—,” he started but Tyler wasn’t going to have any of that.

“I may have stormed out on you in the cafeteria on Wednesday, but I didn’t make a spectacle in front of my friends the way you did today, Seth. I didn’t hurt your feelings the way you hurt mine,” Tyler didn’t intentionally let it slip about his feelings being hurt, but once he’d said it…he couldn’t very well go back on it. Tyler was upset merely from just that one statement on Seth’s behalf, so he threw the rest of his pretzel away and was about to walk off…

“I never meant to hurt your feelings,” Seth’s voice was soft as suede. He inched closer to Tyler until they were almost chest-to-chest. It was then that both boys realized that they were practically the same height…neither of them happening to look up or down to one another.

“Well you did,” Tyler whispered, chewing hard on his own bottom lip as he kept gazing into Seth’s deep chocolate brown eyes. They reminded Tyler of his own eyes…just maybe a little darker.

“I’m sorry,” Seth whispered, pushing Tyler gently up against the concrete backing of the bleachers. His hand was upon Tyler’s chest, balling his shirt somewhat into his fist. Tyler was about to gasp, to say ‘no’, protest…when Seth lent in and kissed his lips tenderly. Never in a million years could Tyler have imagined doing this with Seth Mitchell…or that Seth would be so…gentle.

Tyler returned the kiss, working his lips with Seth’s. His breathing was erratic though and when the kiss was broken, he squirmed out from underneath Seth and panted a little, looking like a deer caught in headlights. “This can’t happen.. You aren’t gay. You’re doing this to hurt me,” he mumbled, his insecurities getting the best of him at that point.

“Tyler, no…” Seth wanted to explain to him, but how could he? ‘Oh Tyler, I’m just gay cause I’m doing line upon line of cocaine…’ he’d drop him like a hot potato, Seth knew he would. “I’m not trying to hurt you… if I do it’s accidental and I’m sorry,” and although his voice sounded genuine as could be, Tyler shook his head and just left… he couldn’t stay underneath those bleachers any longer with Seth Mitchell. He was afraid what he might let Seth do to him…
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1,020